- Volume 12 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Change of Gait Temporal Parameter and Ankle Joint Moment in Patients with Achilles Tendinitis
아킬레스 건염 환자의 보행 시 고관절, 슬관절 및 족관절 모멘트의 변화에 대한 연구
- Received : 2011.11.14
- Accepted : 2011.12.13
- Published : 2011.12.31
This study was to investigate the change of gait temporal parameter and ankle joint moment between patients with achilles tendinitis and healthy people. Thus, the purpose of this study is to clarify biomechanical change of gait in patients with achilles tendinitis and to find risk factor for prevention of achilles tendinitis. We recruited 20 patients with an achilles tendinitis and 20 healthy people. While subjects shuttled 5 times on 13 m distance with comfortable pace, we examined gait function marker with three-dimensional gait analysis system. All subject outstepped center of forceplate during gait and calculated ankle joint moment using software. Obtained data was analyzed using SPSS 12.0 software. In results, we confirmed that patients with achilles tendinitis showed reduction of extension moment in early initial phase and reduction of flexion moment in mid-stance on hip joint. and reduction of flexion moment in early initial phase and reduction of extension moment in late phase on knee joint. And we identified that patients with achilles tendinitis showed reduction of dorsiflexion moment in early stance phase, maximal plantarflexion moment in mid stance phase, and dorsiflexion moment in late stance phase. Thus, there are biomechanical changes on gait in patients with achilles tendinitis compared to healthy people. And, in clinical settings, they should focus on changes of gait in patients with achilles tendinitis. Further study will be undertaken for the biomechanical changes of patietns with achilles tendinitis.
Achilles tendinitis;Gait;Joint moment;Motion analysis
- P. M.. Galley, and A. L. Foster, "Human movement. Churchill Livingstone", pp.228-237, 1987.
- S. H., Scot, and D. A Winter, "Internal forces of chronic running injury sites", Med Sci Sports Exerc, Vol.22, No.3, pp.357-369, 1990.
- N. Maffulli, J. Wong, and L. C. Almekinders, "Types and epidemiology of tendinopathy", Clin Sports Med, Vol.22, No.4, pp.675-692 .2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-5919(03)00004-8
- R. P. Wilder. and S. Sethi, "Overuse injuries: tendinopathies, stress fractures, compartment syndrome, and shin splints", Clin Sports Med, Vol. 23, No.1, pp.55-81, vi. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-5919(03)00085-1
- M. Ryan, S. Grau, I. Krauss, C. Maiwald,, J. Taunton, and T, Horstman.. "Kinematic analysis of runners with achilles mid-portion tendinopathy", Foot Ankle Int, Vol.30, No.12, pp.1190-1195, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3113/FAI.2009.1190
- L. B, Azevedo. M, I, Lambert. .C. L. Vaughan, C. M, O'Connor, and M.. P, Schwellnus, "Biomechanical variables associated with Achilles tendinopathy in runners", Br J Sports Med, Vol.43, No.4, pp.288-292. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2008.053421
- A. Van Ginckel, Y. Thijs. N. G, Hesar. N. Mahieu. D. De Clercq, P. Roosen. et al. "Intrinsic gait-related risk factors for Achilles tendinopathy in novice runners: a prospective study", Gait Posture, Vol.29, No.3, pp.387-391. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2008.10.058
- O. S. Mian, J. M. Thom, L. P. Ardigo, A, E, Minetti, and M. V. Narici, "Gastrocnemius muscle-tendon behaviour during walking in young and older adults", Acta Physiol (Oxf), Vol.189., No.1, pp.57-65. 2007.
- L. C. Junior, A. C. Carvalho, L. O. Costa, and A. D. Lopes, "The prevalence of musculoskeletal injuries in runners", Br J Sports Med. Vol.45, No.4, pp.351-352. 2011.
- D. D. Cosca, and F. Navazio, "Common problems in endurance athletes", Am Fam Physician, Vol.76, No.2, pp.237-244, 2007.
- J. H. Yu, and S. M. Lee, "The effects of regular resistive exercise on cardiopulmonary ability and cerebral blood flow velocity", J Kor Soc Phy Med, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp.255-264, 2010.
- ACSM., ACSM's guidelines for exercise testing and prescription, seventh edition. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, pp.216-223. 2006.
- G. Stoquart, C. Detrembleur, and T. Lejeune, "Effect of speed on kinematic, kinetic, electromyographic and energetic reference values during treadmill walking", Neurophysiol Clin, Vol.38, No.2, pp.105-116. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neucli.2008.02.002
- Y. Shimokochi, S. Yong Lee, S. J. Shultz, and R. J. Schmitz, "The relationships among sagittal-plane lower extremity moments: implications for landing strategy in anterior cruciate ligament injury prevention", J Athl Train, Vol.44, No.1, pp.33-38. 2009. https://doi.org/10.4085/1062-6050-44.1.33
- C. O. Kean, T. B. Birmingham, J. S. Garland, T. R. Jenkyn, T. D. Ivanova, I. C. Jones, et al, "Moments and muscle activity after high tibial osteotomy and anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction", Med Sci Sports Exerc, Vol.41, No,3, pp.612-619. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e31818a8c91
- K. Briem, and L. Snyder-Mackler, "Proximal gait adaptations in medial knee OA", J Orthop Res, Vol.27 No.1, pp.78-83. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/jor.20718
- S. J. Choi, C. Y. Chung, K. M. Lee, D. G.. Kwon, S. H. Lee, and M. S. Park, "Validity of gait parameters for hip flexor contracture in patients with cerebral pals", J Neuroeng Rehabil, 8, 4. 2011.
- S. P. Flanagan, and G. P. Salem, "The validity of summing lower extremity individual joint kinetic measures", J Appl Biomech, Vol.21. No.2, pp.181-188. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1123/jab.21.2.181
- D. A. Neumann, "Kinesiology of musculoskeletal system", Elsevier, pp.519-521. 2002.
- J. L. Lelas, G. J. Merriman, P. O. Riley, and D. C. Kerrigan, "Predicting peak kinematic and kinetic parameters from gait speed", Gait Posture. Vol.17, No.2, pp.106-112. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0966-6362(02)00060-7
- A. C. Novak, and B. Brouwer, "Sagittal and frontal lower limb joint moments during stair ascent and descent in young and older adults", Gait Posture, Vol.33, No.1, pp.54-60. 2010.
- P. Bulgheroni, M. V. Bulgheroni, M. Ronga, and A. Manelli, "Gait analysis of pre-and post-meniscectomy knee: a prospective study", Knee, Vol.14, No.6, pp.472-477. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.knee.2007.08.003
- C. L. Lewis, and D. P. Ferris, "Walking with increased ankle pushoff decreases hip muscle moments", J Biomech, Vol.41, No,10, pp.2082-2089. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2008.05.013
- J. L. McCrory, D. F. Martin, R. B. Lowery, D. W. Cannon, W. W. Curl, H. M. Read, Jr., et al, "Etiologic factors associated with Achilles tendinitis in runners", Med Sci Sports Exerc, Vol.31, No.10, pp.1374-1381. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-199910000-00003
- J. Jonsdottir, M. Recalcati, M. Rabuffetti, A. Casiraghi, S. Boccardi, and M. Ferrarin, "Functional resources to increase gait speed in people with stroke: strategies adopted compared to healthy controls", Gait Posture, Vol.29, No.3, pp.355-359. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2009.01.008
Supported by : 경남대학교