- Volume 12 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Importance awareness and Compliance on Patient Safety for Nurses Working in Operating Rooms
수술실간호사의 수술환자 안전관리에 대한 중요성인지도와 실천이행도
- Kim, Joung-Soon (Operating Room, Bong Seng Memorial Hospital) ;
- Kim, Ju-Sung (Department of Nursing, Silla University)
- Received : 2011.11.03
- Accepted : 2011.12.13
- Published : 2011.12.31
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the perceived patient safety, type of errors related to patient safety, importance awareness and compliance on patient safety for operating room nurses and to identify factors influencing compliance. Data were collected using a structured questionnaire from 191 perioperative nurses. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, paired t-test, ANOVA, Pearson correlation coefficients, and multiple regression. The perceived patient safety score was 6.3 as moderate level. Types of errors were mostly happened in patient injury (39.8%), counts (18.4%) and infection control (17.5%). The level of compliance on patient safety was significantly lower than that of importance awareness (t=18.01, P<.001). Compliance on patient safety showed significantly positive correlations to importance awareness (r=.56, p<.001). Experience of patient safety education, experience of errors in colleague, job position and working experience in hospital explained 13.9% of variance compliance on patient safety(F=8.407, P<.001). In conclusion, Hospital should develop education program related to patient safety, encourage nurses to manage safety protocol and ensure cultivating patient safety culture in the perioperative practice setting.
Supported by : 부산광역시간호사회
- Ahn, S. H., "Analysis of risk factors for patient safety management", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 12(3), pp. 373-384, 2006.
- The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organization, " The joint commission accreditation program: hospital national patient safety goals", Retrieved July 2, 2011 from http://www.jointcommission.org/standards_informatio ns.
- Cho, G. L., & Choi, J. S., "Knowledge of and compliance with standard precautions by nurses in intensive care unit", Journal of Korean Academy Fundamental Nursing, 17(1), pp. 73-81, 2010.
- Park, S. Y., Shin, D. S., Lee, H. G., & Kim, H. S., "Compliance with nosocomial infection control and related factors among emergency room nurses", Journal of Korean Academy Fundamental Nursing, 15(2), pp. 153-160, 2008.
- Wears, R. L., Janick, B., Moorhead, J. C., Kellermann, A. L., Yeh, C. S., Rice, M. M., Jay, G., & Perry, S. J., " Human error in medicine: promise and pitfal",. Emergency Medicine, 36, pp. 58-60, 2000.
- Wears, R. L., Janick, B., Moorhead, J. C., Kellermann, A. L., Yeh, C. S., Rice, M. M., Jay, G., & Perry, S. J., " Human error in medicine: promise and pitfal",. Emergency Medicine, 36, pp. 142-144, 2000.
- Kim, J. E., Kang, M. A., An, K. E., & Sung, Y. H., "A study of nurses' perception of patient safety related to hospital culture and reports of medical errors", Clinical Nursing Research, 13(3), pp. 169-179, 2007.
- Kim, S. K., Lee, H., & Oh, E. G., "Perceived level and associated factors of patient safety culture among health care providers in an operating room", Journal of Koran Clinical Nursing Research, 16(2), pp. 57-67, 2010.
- Karanfil, L., Bahner, J., & Most, R., "Creating a patient safe environment in a perioperative setting", AORN Journal, 81(1), pp. 168-186, 2005.
- Wong, D. A., Herndon, J. H., Canale, S. T., Brooks, R. L., Hunt, T. R., Epps, H. R., et al., "Medical errors in orthopedics: results of an AAOS member survey", The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 91(3), pp. 547-557, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.G.01439
- Park, J. S., Kim, E. H., & Lee, H. R., "Development and application of timeout protocol on OR", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 20(2), pp. 353-363, 2008.
- Park, Y. W., Lee, E. S., Lee, J. S., & Ham, H. M. (Eds.), "The guidelines for patient safety(7th eds.)", Hospital Nurses Association. Seoul, 2011.
- Seo, Y. K. (Eds.)., "Perioperative Nursing Guidelines", Korean Association of Operating Room Nurses. Seoul, 2011.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, & Korea Institute for Healthcae Accreditation, "Healthcare Organization Accreditation Standards (ver1.1)", Retrieved July 2, 2011 from http://www.koiha.or.kr.
- Song, M O., "Safety management protocol development for surgical patient", Unpublished Master's thesis, Chonnam National University. Gwangju, 2009.
- Park, S. A., Park, K. O., Kim, M. S., Yoon, G. S., & Lee, Y. Y., "Development of performance evaluation tool for operating room nurses", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 14(1), pp. 71-84, 2008.
- Yoon, K. S., & Park, S. A., "Development and validation of an instrument to measure the job satisfaction of perioperative nurses", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 15(1), pp. 93-106, 2009.
- Jang, G. H., Ha, L. M., Kim, E. H., Kim, M. J., Lee, H. J., Park, S. J., Shin, H. M., & Jeoun, H. S., "Awareness and performance on patient safety among operationg room nurses", Perioperative Nursing, 16(1), pp. 7-28, 2008.
- Kang, M. K., Kim, K. H., & Choi, M. H., "A study on levels of awareness of nosocomial infection and management practices by operating room nurses", Journal of Korean Academy Fundamental Nursing, 11(3), pp. 327-334, 2004.
- Shin, Y. R., Park, K. O., Jeong, J. S., & Kim, K. M., "Exposure to blood and body fluid in operating room personnel in one acute care general hospital", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 15(2), pp. 115-126, 2009.
- Jeoung, S., "Hospital management activities of factors influencing patient safety: focusing on the nursing department", Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2006.
- Cline, M. E., Herman, J., Show, E. R., & Morton, R. D., "Standardization of the visual analog scale", Nursing Research, 41(6), pp. 378-380. 1992.
- Yoon, J. M., & Sung, M. H., "The relationship between empowerment and performance of infection control by emergency department nurses", Journal of Korean Academy Fundamental Nursing, 16(4), pp. 412-420, 2009.
- Jeon, H. S., Choi, C. S.,, Kim, U. G., Kim, S. R.,, Han, M. A., Nam, J. H. et al., "A study on the cause of sponge, sharpe, and instrument's count error operating nurses experienced", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 17(2), pp. 159-173. 2001.
- Suh, Y. H. & Oh, H. Y., "Knowledge, perception, safety climate, and compliance with hospital infection standard precautions among hospital nurses", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 16(1), pp. 61-70, 2010.
- Perioperative Nurse's Experience of Nursing Errors and Emotional Distress, Coping Strategies, and Changes in Practice vol.20, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.5.481