- Volume 12 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Maum Meditation on Anxiety, Self-esteem and Self-actualization for Teachers
마음수련명상이 교사의 불안, 자아존중감 및 자아실현에 미치는 효과
- Lee, In-Soo (Department of Emergency Medical Service, Chungju National University) ;
- Kim, Jee-Hee (Department of Emergency Medical Technology, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2011.10.03
- Accepted : 2011.12.13
- Published : 2011.12.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of Maum meditation on anxiety, self-esteem and self-actualization of teachers and this is a one-group pretest-posttest design study. Three times of surveys were carried out for seven nights and eight days including July 25 - August 1, August 1 - 8, 2009 and January 2 - 9, 2010. Before and after Maum meditation, 108 teachers in the faculty training filled out the structured questionnaire. The data were analyzed by SPSS WIN 12.0. The results showed that there was a significant difference in self-esteem of the teachers between before and after Maum meditation(p=.001). The self-actualization of the teachers was also found to be significant before and after the meditation(p=.002). Maum meditation decreased the teachers' anxiety level and improved considerably the self-esteem and self-actualization level. So it is necessary to develop the self-concept questionnaire that can support the mental health promotion intervention program.
Supported by : 충주대학교
- Kim, C.W., Kwon, M.H., "The Influence of Teachers' Leisure Activity Participation on Self-actualization", The Korean J of Physical Education, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 303-315, 2003.
- Kim, J.M., "An Exploration of Some Determinant Variables Affecting Self Actualization of College Students Majoring in Dance, The Korean J of Physical Education, Vol. 42, No. 5, pp. 621-630, 2003.
- An, J.S., "The Teacher Behavior Characteristics Concerning the Educational Goal of ' Self-Actualization' on the Part of Children : A Humanistic Analysis of Teacher Behavior", The J of Educational Research, Vol. 7, pp. 35-53, 1991.
- Um, M.R., Ha, Y.S., "A Study on the Relationship between Self-Actualization and Mental Health of Nursing Students, J Korean Academy of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 2, pp. 23-38, 1993.
- Woo, M., "The Place Where One Becomes Real Is The Real Place", Seoul: Cham Publishing Corp., 2008.
- Min, S.Y., "Depression, Self-esteem, and Quality of Life in a Community Population", J Korean Academy of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 1-10, 2010. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2010.19.1.1
- Kim, S.Y., Jeon, E.Y., Kim, K.B., Suh, Y.O., "The Influencing Factors on Self-actualization in Middle-aged Women", The J of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 602-611, 2002.
- Rosenberg, M., Society and the Adolescent Self Image, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1965.
- Bae, J.H., "The relationship between self identity and self-esteem", Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu, 1984.
- Kwahk, S.H., Kim, S.O., "Depression and Anxiety Related with Married Women's Attachment Security and Self-esteem: Focused on the Mothers of Elementary School Students", J Korean Home Economics Association, Vol. 45, No. 7, pp. 35-48, 2007.
- Lee, H.S., "Difference between Relationship Satisfaction and Psychological Characteristics by Adult Attachment Types of College Students : Anxiety, Perceived Control, Self-Esteem and Psychological Safety", Unpublished master's thesis, Kyungnam University, Changwon, 2009.
- Lee, E.A.,, Chung, H.J., "Adolescents' Psychological Maladjustment According to Family Related Variables", Korean J of Family Welfare, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 69-86, 2000.
- Lee, J.H., Lee, G.C., Choi, Y.M., "Anxiety and Depression of Female Elementary School Teachers", J Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 825-831, 1994.
- Lee, J.H., Kim, Y.M., Choi, Y.M., "The Effect of Meditation on Depression and Anxiety", J Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, Vol. 38, No. 3, pp. 491-499, 1999.
- Kim, J.H., "A Psychological Examination of Vipassana Meditation", Duksung J of Social Science, Vo.l 4, pp. 35-60, 1996.
- Woo, M., "The Formula From Heaven That Will Save the World", Cham Publishing Corp., 2005.
- Son, M.O., "Influence of Teachers' Self-efficacy and Stress Coping on the Anxiety and Psychosomatic Symptom", Unpublished master's thesis, Chungnam National University, Daejeon, 2004.
- Lim, S.L., Lee, K.N., "The Self-Efficacy, Self-Esteem and Health Promoting Lifestyle of Teachers in Korea", Korean J Occupational Health Nursing, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 47-54, 1998.
- Kim, C.W., "The Relationship between Teacher's Participation in Leisure Activity and Job Satisfaction, Self-Actualization, JKSSPE, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 212-223, 2003.
- Kim, J.T., Shin, D.K., "A Study Based on the Standardization of the STAI for Korea", The New Medical Journal, Vol. 21, No. 11, pp. 65-75, 1978.
- Kim, M.H., "The Effects of The Maum Meditation Program on Depression, Stress, Anxiety and Self-Esteem in College Students", J of Human Completion, Vol. 1, pp. 92-112, 2009.
- Jeong, J.Y., "The Effects of MAUM Meditation on Hwa-byung Symptoms, Mental Health Condition, Self esteem and Anger.Stress Coping Methods", Unpublished master's thesis, Myungji University, Seoul, 2006.
- Kim, S.R., "Relationship between Leisure.Recreation Participation and Stress, Self-esteem, & Self-actualization in Undergraduates", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Mokpo National University, Mokpo, 2009.
- KIm, H.S., Lee, E.J., "A Study on the Relation of Laughter Index, Depression and Anxiety in Middle-aged Women', Korean J Rehabil Nurs, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp.126-133.
- Choi, K.S., "The Effect of Maumsuryun Meditation Training on Neurotic School Students' Anger and Anxiety", Unpublished master's thesis, Kyungsung University, Busan, 2003.
- You, S.Y., "The Effects of Mindfulness Meditation on Symptoms of Hwa-Byung, Depression, Anxiety and Stress in Middle Aged Women", Unpublished master's thesis, Duksung Women's University, Seoul, 2010.
- Hwang, M.S., "The effects of Sunsuryun on the personality, anxiety, and self-actualization in University students, Educational Research. No. 17, pp. 133-160, 1998.
- Fadel, Z., Johnson, S..K., Johnson, B.J. Diamond, David, Z., Goolkasian, P., "Mindfulness meditation improves cognition: Evidence of brief mental training", Consciousness and cognition, Vol. 19, pp. 597-605, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.concog.2010.03.014
- Kim, J.K., "A Gestalt Therapy approach to anxiety disorders integrating Mindfulness meditation and cognitive Behavioral Therapy", The Korean J of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 475-503, 2003.
- Kim, S.Y., Lee, J.I., "A Study on Aging Anxiety, Depression, and Self-esteem of Middle-aged People", T Korean J Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 103-109, 2007.
- Choi, Y.J., "Effects of Self Esteem, Social Avoidance, and Distress in Nursing Students using Meditation Therapy", J Korean Academy of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 133-142, 2010. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2010.19.2.133
- Jang, S.J., Ha, Y.S., "The Effect of Meditation Programs on Stress Responses, Anxiety, and Self-Esteem in Psychiatric Patients", J Korean Academy of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 17, No. 3, PP. 302-310, 2008.
- Lee, H.K., "The Effects of Imago psychotherapy on Self-actualization, Depression and Self-esteem of Nursing Students", J Korean Academy of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 20-34, 2000.
- Lee, M..J., "Influence of Meditation on Stress and Self-Actualization", Published master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, 1993.
- Lee, M.H., Yang,, S., Yu, S.J., "Effects of Soberizing Group Seminar on the Self-actualization among Alcoholic Inpatients, J Korean Academy of Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 5-14, 1994.
- Yoon, Y.K., "A study on the relationship in leisure activity, self-actualization and mental health", Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, 1996.
- Correlation and influencing factors on oral health awareness, oral health behavior, self-esteem and OHIP-14 in childcare teachers vol.15, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.02.261