- Volume 12 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Analysis of cognitive factors affecting stroke patient's activity of daily living performance -Using the computerized neurocognitive function test-
뇌졸중 환자의 일상 활동 수행에 영향을 미치는 인지요인 분석 -전산화 신경인지기능검사 중심으로-
- Kim, Ji-Youn (Dept. of Occupational Therapy, Woosong University)
- 김지연 (우송대학교 작업치료학과)
- Received : 2011.09.07
- Accepted : 2011.12.13
- Published : 2011.12.31
This research analyzed the cognitive factors affecting stroke patient's activity of daily living performance and suggests the approaches which can contribute to the effective activity of daily living performance in the rehabilitation treatment of stroke patients. In this study, Seoul Computerized NeuroCognitive Function Test (SCNT) and MBI have been performed for 21 patients under extensive rehabilitation treatments, hospitalized in the rehabilitation clinic of A hospital after being diagnosed as a stroke caused by cerebrovascular disorders. To assess the effectiveness of the cognitive factors which affect the stroke patient's activity of daily living performance, activity of daily living performance values were set as dependent variables and 10 cognitive factors were included in the model to carry out analysis of the multiple regression analysis. The results show that stroke patient's activity of daily living performance have statistically significant correlations with divided attention, motor control and selectivir attention. In addition, cognitive factors explained 69.8% of the stroke patient's activity of daily living performance. Consequently, if divided attention and motor control are considered as a focal point of training in the rehabilitation treatment of stroke patients, we can effectively promote the improvement of the activity of daily living performanceroutine activities.
Cognitive function factors;Activity of daily living;Stroke
- M. M. Mathews, and M. T. Burton, "Treatment contexts." In L. W. Pedretti (Ed.), Occupational Therapy : Practice Skills for Physical Dysfunction (5th ed., pp.29-37, Philadelphia : Mobsy, 2001.
- I. H. Park, K. W. Lee, C. W. Kim. A study for clinical application of neurobehavioral cognitive status examination : for the subjectives over ages of 60. Journal of the korean neuropsychistric association. Vol.33(6), pp. 1329-1341, 1994.
- J. H. Kim, T. R. Han. Rehabilitation Medicine. Seoul : Koonja, 2002.
- J. H. Oh, J. Y. Yoo, I. Y. Sung, "The Relationship of Neurobehavioral Cognitive Status Examination(NCSE) to Functional Improvement in Stroke Patients", Journal of Korean Academy of Rehabilitation Medicine, Vol.20, pp.576-582, 1996.
- S. R. Lee. "a study on relationship between activities of daily living and cognitive score in stroke patients", Daegu University, Graduate school of rehabilitation science, 2003.
- M. D. Lezak, "Neuropsychological Assessment", 3rd ed, New York, Oxford University Press, pp.7-16, pp.25-44, 1995.
- the korean society of neuropsycholoical function, "neuropsychological assessment workshop", seoul, the korean society of neuropsycholoical function, 1996.
- K. S. Hoo, J. S. Kwon, I. K. Lyoo. "Development and standardization of the computerized attention for korean adults", Journal of the korean neuropsychiatric association, 41(2), pp.335-346, 2002.
- J. C. Ballard, "Computerized assessment of sustained attention : A review of factors affecting vigilance performance", Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, 제18권, pp.843-863, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1080/01688639608408307
- Y. Goverover, "Categorization, deductive reasoning, and self-awareness: Association with everyday competence in persons with acute brain injury", Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, 26(6), pp.737-49, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1080/13803390490509321
- R. C. Gur, J. D. Ragland, P. J. Moberg, W. B. Bilker, C. Kohler, and S. J. Siegel, "Computerized neurocognitive scanning : II. The profile of schizophrenia", Neuropsychoph-armacology, Vol.25, pp.777-788, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0893-133X(01)00279-2
- R. D. Zorowitz, E. Gross, and D. M. Polinski, "Effects of problem-oriented willed-movement therapy on motor abilities for people with post stroke cognitive deficits", Journal of Disability Rehabilitation, Vol.24 No.3, pp.666-679, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/09638280110109291
- J. L. Park, H. J. Lee, H. J. Ko. "Neuropsychological Functioning in Detoxified Alcoholics by Seoul Computerized Neurocognitive Function Test", Journal of the korean neuropsychiatric association, 43(5), pp.570-576, 2004.
- Y. H. Kim, M. H. Ko, J. H Seo, S. H. Park, K. S. Kim, E. H. Jang, "Effect of Computer-Assisted Cognitive Rehabilitation Program for Attention Training in Brain Injury", Journal of Korean Academy of Rehabilitation Medicine, Vol.27, No.6, pp.830-839, 2003.
- D. S. Bai, J. B. Lee, Y. K. Ban, "Computerized Neurocognitive Function Test", seoul: Hana medical Books, 2005.
- A. Smith, "Beware of the Barthel", Physiotherapy, Vol.79. pp.12-13, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9406(10)60532-9
- E. Y. Yoo, S. I. Jun, H. C. Oh, J. S. Jun, "The Cognitive Perceptual Performance in Relation to Activities of Daily Living in Stroke Patients", The Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, Vol. 5, pp.8-19, 1997.
- M. Mesulam, "Large-scale neurocognitive networks and distributed processing for attention, language and memory", Annals of Neurology, Vol.28, pp.115-126, 1990.
- J. S. Kwon, Y. G. Kim, J. Y. Kim, J. S. Yuk, H. J. Jo, S. P. Hong, "Cognitive Rehabilitation of Occupational Therapist", Seoul: Pacific Publisher, 2008.
- H. S. Rlee, C. I. Park, E. S. Park. J. C. Sin. Correlation between cognitive perceptual performance and instrumental activities of daily living in women over age of 65. The Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy. Vol 11, pp.43-64.
- A. H. Van Zomeren, W. H. Brouwer, "The clinical neuropsychology of attention", New York : Oxford University Press, 1994.
- K. Okkema, "Cognitive and perception in the stroke patient : A guide to functional outcomes in occupational therapy. Gaithersburg, MD. Aspen Publishers, 1993.
- H. Y. Jung, H. K Kwon, C. H. Oh, "The Study on the Initial Evaluation in the Beginning of Rehabilitation and the Functional Outcome in Stroke" Journal of Korean Academy of Rehabilitation Medicine, Vol.15, No4, pp.398-404, 1991.
- K. S. Ha, U. G. Kang, J. H. Kim, "Attention and Psychiatric Disorders", Korean Journal of Biological Psychiatry. Vol4, pp.19-23, 1997.
- R. A. Cohen, and B. E. O'Donnel, "Attentional dysfunction associated with psychiatric illness", The Neuropsychology of attention, New York, Plenum Press, pp.275-305, 1993.
- I. K. Lyoo, J. S. Kwon, K. S. Ha, "Development and Standardization of the Computerized Higher Cortical Function Assessment for Korean Adults", Journal of the korean neuropsychiatric association, 41(3), pp.538-550, 2002.
- S. Shah, F. Vanclay, and B. Cooper, "Improving the sensitivity of the Barthel Index for stroke rehabilitation", Clinical epidemiology. Vol.42, pp.703-709, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/0895-4356(89)90065-6