- Volume 12 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Differences in Self-perceived Oral Health Levels in Workers at Seoul-Inchon Area
경인지역 근로자의 자기평가 구강건강수준 인식에 관한 연구
- Kim, Sook-Hyang (Department of Dental Hygiene, Hanseo University) ;
- Hong, Min-Hee (Department of Dental Hygiene, Hanseo University)
- Received : 2011.11.08
- Accepted : 2011.12.13
- Published : 2011.12.31
This study aims to determine potential differences in self-perceived oral health levels between blue-collar and white-collar workers. It is based upon questionnaire survey data dating from Mar. 1 to 30, 2011. All the data collected from 200 blue-collar workers and 100 white-collar worker was analyzed using statistical tools like SPSS ver. 19.0. Self-perceived oral health levels were analysed across three sub-factors - physical, psycho-social, and psychological factors - which were confirmed through factor analysis. The psycho-social factor was statistically significant for age and shift work. Self-perceived oral health levels across the three factors were quantitatively correlated except for psychological factors in blue-collar workers. The study found that occupational group affects workers' self-perceived oral health level. The explanatory power of these 4 variables total 51% in blue-collar group. In case of white-collar group, it was found one variable total 30%. Since oral health levels differ between blue-collar and white-collar workers, oral health promotion projects should differentiate between the two groups, and workers with an interest in their tooth for the prevention, yet negligent act because it will keep your personal oral health care in the prevention-oriented oral health promotion.
Self-perceived Oral Health Level;Blue Collar Workers;White Collar Workers
- Mi Hye Choi, Hyo Won Oh & Heung Soo Lee, A comparative study on the oral health behaviors between medical and non-medical workers", Korean Academy of Oral Health, Vol 33, No.4, pp. 552-63, 2009.
- Kyung Hee Cho, "Effects of oral health condition to the quality of life", Daegu Haany University. Master's Degree. 2011.
- Ministry of health and welfare. Office of policy and statistics. Health and Welfare a white book. pp. 734-747, 2009.
- Matthias RE, Atchison KA, Lubben JE, De Jong F & Schweitzer SO. "Factors affecting self-rating on oral health". J Public Health Dent Vol.55, No.4, pp. 197-204, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.1995.tb02370.x
- National statistical office. The Survey report on labor conditions by employment(2009). 2010.
- Jung Hwa Lee, Eun Sook Jeon & Hye Jin Lee, "A Study on recognition and behavior of oral health promotion for worker in the Hyundai motor company", Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 47-54, 2006.
- Youn Hwa Kim, "The Study on the Oral Health Knowledge and Behavior of industrial Workers at Ulsan Province", Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 17-23, 2009.
- Hyun Jung Lee & Byong Hee Cho, "Factors Affection Intentions for Health behaviors among Male Office Workers", Korean Academic Society of Occupational health Nursing, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 31-43, 2002.
- Hong Min Hee. "A Study on the level of oral health by the lifelong-process", Hanyang University, Doctoral Dissertation. 2011.
- Heung Soo Lee & Ki Soon Kim, "Oral health behavior of economically active women in Chollabuck Do Republic of Korea ", Korean Academy of Oral Health, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 287-299, 1999.
- Reisine ST, "Dental disease and work loss", J Dent Res, Vol. 63, No .9, pp. 1158-1161, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345840630091301
- Reisine ST & Miller J, "A longitudinal study of work loss related to dental disease", Soc Sci Med, Vol .21, No. 12, pp. 1309-1314, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1016/0277-9536(85)90433-2
- Cushing AM, Sheiham A, Maizels J, "Developing sociodental indicators-the social impact of dental disease", Community Dent Health Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 3-17, 1986.
- Hyung Min Im, "Assessment of subjective oral health status", Seoul University, Master's medicine, 2011.
- Fehir JS, "Self-rated health status, self efficacy, motivation and selected demographics as determinants of health promotion life style", Doctoral Dissertation, The University of Texas at Austin, 1988.
- Jung Rok Song, Hyo Won Oh & Heung Soo Lee, "Workers oral health behaviors and need for education in lksan city", Korean Academy of Oral Health, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 91-102, 2007.
- Kral EA, Dawson-Huhhes B, Garvey AJ, & Garcia RI, "Smoking, Smoking cessation and tooth loss", J Dent Res, Vol. 76, No. 10, pp. 1653-59, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345970760100601
- Dietrich T, Maserejian NN, Joshipura KJ, Krall EA & Garcia RI, "Tobacco use and incidence of tooth loss among US male health professionals", J Dent Res, Vol. 86, No. 4, pp. 373-377, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910708600414
- Korea Centers for disease control and prevention. Community health statistic. 2008.
- The Ministry for Health, Welfare and family. Korea National oral health survey (2006). 2007
- Seon Jeong Moon, "An Analysis of Factors Influencing the state of Industrial Workers Oral health based on the workers", Wonkwang University Doctoral Dissertation, 2010.
- Hong Ryurn Park, "A Study on the status of oral health & Oral Health Attitude of Workers in Industries", Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 177-186. 2006.
- Willits FK & Crider DM, "Health rating and life satisfaction in later middle years", J Gerodotol, Vol. 43, No. 50, pp. 172-176, 1988.
- Kwangn Hee Cho, Dong Bae Lee & Young Chae Cho, "Psychosocial Distress and its Related Factors among clerical Public Officers", Korean Society of Occupational & Environmental Medicine, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 26-37, 2007.
- Naoji Hayashi, Hiroo Tamagawa & Muneo Tanakal, "Association of tooth loss with psychosocial factors in Male Japanese Employees", J Occup Health, Vol. 43, No. 6, pp. 351-355, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1539/joh.43.351