- Volume 12 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Digital Divide in Internet Access and Internet Usage in Korea
인터넷 접근과 활용에서의 디지털 격차
- Ju, Young-Wan (KISA, Internet Promotion Division) ;
- Kim, Yoo-Jung (Department of Digital Business, Hoseo University) ;
- Cho, Chang-Hyung (KISA, Internet Convergence Division)
- Received : 2011.10.18
- Accepted : 2011.12.13
- Published : 2011.12.31
The purpose of this paper is to better understand the socio-economic differentials of Internet access and use. Data from '2008 Korean Internet usage behavior' were used to conduct logistic regression analysis. The findings show that there are significant socio-economic(age, gender, educational attainment, employment situation, and Internet access type) disparity in Internet access(Internet access at home, broadband Internet access). Also socio-economic variables enter in as statistically significant in most specifications for Internet use intensity (Intensive internet use, frequent internet use, less frequent internet use). The gender, household income and education attainment explanations for large differential in Internet use intensity are generally very similar. It is shown that age, education attainment and household income level cause a large digital divide on Internet service use(information use, communication and community use, e-commerce use, Internet banking use).
Socio-economic variables;Internet access;Internet service use;Digital divide
- A. G. M, Jan and van DiJik, "Digital Divide, Achievements, and Shortcomings", Poetics, Vol.3, pp. 221-235, 2006.
- A. Sen, Inequality Reexamined, Oxford University Press, Oxford, England, 1992.
- Albrecht Wirthmann, EurostatEuro, Micro data analysis of internet use in Europe, 2008.
- B. S. Kim and J. M. Kim, "A study on Digital Divide trigger factor of older people: focused on Technology Acceptance Model", The Social Science Researches, Vol.35, No.2, pp. 193-222, 2009.
- C. W. Kim, "Reaching 45,000,000 subscribers of hand-held phone", http;//www.joins.com, 2008.
- ITU, "ITU ICT Statistics Database, 2008", http://www.itu.int/en/Pages/default.aspx.
- J. R. Gil-Garcia, E. Ferro, E. and N. Helbig, Is it only about Internet access? An empirical test of a multi-dimensional digital divide, M. Wimmer, H.J. Scholl, Å. Gronlund, K. Viborg Andersen, Editors, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, No. 4084. Proceedings of 5th International on Electronic Government, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany, pp. 139-149, 2006.
- J. K. Jeong, "Digital divide and unequality: cultural capital, social capital, networked individualism", Local Information Magazine, Vol.65, pp. 4-7, 2010.
- J. I. Chang, "An empirical analysis of gender gap in the Mobile Internet use", Women's Economics Research, Vol.4, No.1, pp. 19-37, 2007.
- J. Y. Yoo and H. Y. Kim, "Reidentify the Digital Divide in Mobile Environment", Information & Communications Policy, Vol.17, No.15, pp. 1-19, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infoecopol.2003.11.001
- J. S. Hwang and J. Y. Yoo, "A Call for Renewed Approach to Bridging the Digital Divide", KISDI Issue Report, Vol.4, No.27, pp. 1-60, 2004.
- Korea Internet Security Agency, 2010 Korea Internet White Paper, http://www.kisa.or.kr, 2010.
- M. R. Vicente and A. Z. Lopez, "Accessing the digital divide across the European Union-27", Telecommunications Policy, Vol.35, pp. 220-237, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.telpol.2010.12.013
- M. C,. Kim and J. K. Kim, "Digital Divide: Conceptual and Practical Implications", Korean Journal of Sociology, Vol.36, No.4, pp. 123-155, 2002.
- N. K. Sung, SAT/STAT Regression Analysis, 2001, Free Academy.
- National Information Society Agency, 2009 Informatization White paper, http://www.nia.or.kr, 2009.
- P. DiMagio, E. Harggitai, C. Celeste, and A. Shafer, Digital inequality: from unequal access to differentiated use, In K Neckerman(Ed.), Social inequality, pp. 355-400, 2004, New York: Russell Stage Foundation.
- S. W. Lee, W. S. Zhee and J. K. Chung, "A Study on the Digital Divide among District Autonomies in Seoul and Its Policy Implications", Seoul Development Research, Vol.5, No.1, pp. 1-28, 2004.
- Y. H. Noh, J. E. Kim and W. J. Kim, "Aging Society and Digital Divide: Analysis of Determinant Factor for Digital Divide", The e-Business studies, Vol.10, No.4, pp. 319-350, 2009. https://doi.org/10.15719/geba.10.4.200911.319