- Volume 12 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Effect of HR Department's Strategic Role and IS Utilizing Capability on Customer Relationship Competency
인사관리부서의 전략적 참여 및 IS 활용능력이 대고객 역량에 미치는 효과
- Han, Su-Jin (Department of Business Administration, Hoseo University) ;
- Kang, So-Ra (Division of Entrepreneurship, Hoseo University) ;
- Kim, Yoo-Jung (Division of Entrepreneurship, Hoseo University)
- Received : 2011.10.20
- Accepted : 2011.12.13
- Published : 2011.12.31
Even though many studies have showed that competence is positively related to organizational performance, few studies have attempted to find out the process of competency - performance. This study focuses on the organizational factors to explore their effect on the competence of customer relationship. Based on the data collected by KRIVET and the Ministry of employment and labor, strategic role of HR department and information systems are examined. As well human resource competency is investigated as a mediating variable. This study used surveys targeting department managers and executive members in firms and sample size was 1086 after cleaning the dataset by deleting all the cases with many missing values. The findings show that strategic role of HR department and information system has an influence on human resource competency, significantly. In addition, the human resource competency affect customer relationship competency, positively. Implications and directions for future research are discussed.
Strategic role of HR department;Human resource competency;Information systems;Customer relationship competency
Supported by : 호서대학교
- P. R. Sparrow, "The Psychology of Strategic Management", in C.Cooper et I. Robertson (Eds.), International Review of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 9, Wiley, 1994.
- L. M. Spencer and S. M. Spencer, "Competence at Work", New York, NY : John Wiley & Sons, 1993.
- C. Fornell and D. F. Larcker, "Evaluating sytructural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 39-50, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- D. E. Guest, "Human resource management and performance: a review and research agenda", International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol, 8, pp. 263-276, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1080/095851997341630
- J. B. Barney, "Organizational culture: Can it be a source of sustained competitive advantage?", Academy of Management Review, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 656-665, 1986b. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1986.4306261
- J. S. Bae, "Competitive Advantage and Human Resource Management: Beyond Strategic Human Resource Management", Korean Journal of Management, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 1-45, 1999.
- S. S. Kim, "The Impact of Human Resource Architecture on Organizational Effectiveness", Journal of industrial relations(SNU Business School Institute of Industrial Relations), Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 123-142, 2002.
- J. Nunnally, "Psychometric Theory", (2nd ed.), NewYork: McGrawHill, 1978.
- M. J. Tippins and R. S. Sohi, "IT competency and firm performance: Is organizational learning a missing link?", Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 8, pp. 745-761, 2003.
- J. Etezadi-Amoli and A. F, Farhoomand, "A structural model of end user computing satisfaction and user performance", Information and Management, Vol. 30, pp. 65-73, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-7206(95)00052-6
- J. Preffer, "Competitive advantage through people", California Management Review, Vol. 36, pp. 9-28, 1994.
- J. W. Kim, S. S. Kim and S. M. Ryu., "The Impact of HR Involvement on HR Effectiveness", Korean Journal of Management, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 127-161, 2004.
- W. C. Wheeler, "Optimization alignment: down, up, error, and improvements", In: Desalle, R., Giribet, G., Wheeler, W. (Eds.), Techniques in Molecular Systematics and Evolution. Birkhauser Verlag, Basel Switzerland, pp. 55-69, 2002.
- A. Bharadwaj, "How some Indian baby makers are made", Anthropology and Medicine, Vol. 1, pp. 63-78, 2000.
- M. Zollo and S. G. Winter, "Deliberate learning and the evolution of dynamic capabilities", Organization Science, Vol. 13, pp. 339-351, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.13.3.339.2780
- K. Y. Kwahk and M. K. Hong, "The Effects of IT Competency and Organizational Learning on Firm Performance: With a Focus on the Role of Organizational Agility", Korean Academic Society of Business Administration, Vol. 40, No. 4, pp. 1075-1108, 2011.
- M. D. Newcomb, G. T. Huba, and P. M. Bentler, "Determinants of sexual and dating behaviors among adolescence", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 50, pp. 428-438, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.528
- R. Andreu and C. Ciborra, "Core capabilities and information technology: an organizational learning approach", In Organizational Learning and Competitive Advantage(Moingeon B and EdmondsonA,Eds), Sage, London, pp. 139-163, 1996.
- J. S. Bae and J. H. Sa, "The Effects of Human Resource Management Systems on Organizational Performance", Korean Journal of Management, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 133-159, 2004.
- B. S. Klaas, J. A. McClendon and T. W. Gainey, "Outsourcing HR: The impact of organizational characteristics", Human Resource Management, Vol. 40, No. 2, pp. 125-138, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.1003
- Y. Gong, K. Lwa, and K. Xin, "Commitment human resource management system in firm operating in China: Utilization patters and impacts on firm perfrmance", the international conference & Annual Conference of the KAPA Proceedings, pp. 133-164, 2004.
- A. Barua, C. H. Kriebel and T. Mukhopadhyay, "Information technologies and business value: An analytic and empirical investigation", Information Systems Research, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 3-23.
- S. Morton, The Corporation of the 1990s, Oxford University Press, New York, 2000.
- K. Sveiby "What is knowledge management?," http://www.sveiby.com.au/Knowledge Management.htm, 1999.
- Y. J. Moon, S. E. Choi, H. M. Uhm, H. J. Seo, H. G. Kim and C. G. Lee, "Strategies for Human Capital Improvement-A Case Study of IT Public Research Institute-," Human Resource Management Research, pp. 113-133, 2007.
- L. Edvinsson, "Developing intellectual capital at Skandia", Long Rang Planning, Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 366-373, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-6301(97)90248-X
- H. G. Kim, and Y. J. Moon, "Knowledge Management: A Study on the Model Development for Intellectual Capital Valuation", Information Systems Review, Vol.4, No.1, pp. 69-87, 2002.
- J. L. Dyer, "Team research and training: A state-of-the-art review", In Human Factors Review:. SantaMonica, CA:Human Factors Society, pp. 285-323, 1984.
- J. Bae and J. J. Lawler, "Organizational and HRM strategies in Korea: Impact on firm performance in an emerging economy", Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 43, pp. 502-517, 2000. https://doi.org/10.2307/1556407
- S. H. Hong., "The Criteria for Selecting Appropriate Fit Indices in Structural Equation Modeling and Their Rationale", Journal of Korean Psychological Association, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 161-177, 2000.
- K. Martell and S. Carroll, "How strategic is HRM?", Human Resource Management, Vol. 34, pp. 253-267, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.3930340203
- J. Arthur, "Effects of human resource systems on manufacturing performance and turnover", Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 37, pp. 670-687, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/256705
- T. M. Welbourne and L. A. Cyr, "The human resource executive effect in initial public offering firms", Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 39, No. 4, pp. 891-919, 1999.