- Volume 12 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Attitudes of Women Immigrants toward the Elderly
여성결혼이민자의 노인에 대한 태도
- Park, Ji-Young (Dept. of Multi-Cultural Welfare, Koguryeo College) ;
- Lee, Chang-Seek (Dept. of Child and Adolescent Welfare, Hanseo University)
- Received : 2011.11.02
- Accepted : 2011.12.13
- Published : 2011.12.31
This study was carried out to analyse the differences in the attitudes toward the elderly according to the characteristics of women immigrants, and identify the variables to predict the attitudes toward the elderly. The participants were 592 women immigrants sampled from six cities and one county. The major results of the study were as follows. Firstly, there were significant differences in the attitudes toward the elderly depending on age, residential area, spouse's educational level, family income, hope to support homeland's parents, and contact with homeland's family. Secondly, the characteristics related with Korean family explained the largest portion of the attitudes toward the elderly, and predictors of the attitudes were age, residential area, family income, and hope to support homeland's parents.
Women immigrant;Attitude;The elderly;Attitude toward the elderly
- Kim, S. K., Kim, Y., K., Cho, A., J., Kim, H., R., Lee, H., K., Seol, D., H., Jeong, K., S., & Sim, I., S. Current status of national multicultural family in Korea. Policy Report, 2010-06. 2010.
- Ministry of Justice. Yearly statistics of immigration services, 2010.
- Lee, S. S., Choi, H. J., & Park, S. J. Impact of multi-cultural family on quantity and quality of population in Korea. Aging and Low-fertility Research Division, Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 34(1). 2009
- Fishbein, M., & Ajzen, I. Belief, attitude, intention, and behavior: An introduction to theory and research. Reading Mass: Addison-Wesley Pub. Co. 1975.
- Park, M. G. Effects of Women's College Students' Knowledge and Attitides toward Elderlies on Consciousness about Supporting the Aged. MS dissertation of Kosin University. 2007.
- Ko, G. A. A study of the KOrean youth's consciousness about taking care of the aged. Ph.D. dissertation of Ewha woman's University, 1990
- Lee, W. H. & Kwon, Y. S. A Study on the Influence of Family Members and Awareness of the Elderly on Supporting the Aged. Child Education, 14(12), 165-178. 2005.
- Park, Y. S. Grandparent-Adolescent Relationships. MS dissertation of Ewha woman's University, 1990.
- Lee, G. R. A Study on the Strategies in Planning and Implementing intergenerational programs through Comparative Study of Attitudes toward Older Persons among Generations. Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 26, 143-164, 2004.
- Kim, E. G. The Effects of Grandparents Related Variables on College Students' Attitudes toward the Elderly. Journal of Korea Gerontological Society, 23(3), 63-77, 2003.
- Han, J. R. Youth's Attitudes toward the Elderly. Journal of Korea Gerontological Society, 23(4), 181-194, 2003.
- Won, Y. H., Kim, D. B., Lee, K. R. & Han J. R. The Impact of the Elders' Voluntary Activities on Middleschool Students' Attitudes toward the Elderly. Journal of Korea Gerontological Society, 22(2), 131-146, 2002.
- Han, J. R. Undergraduate Students' Attitudes Toward Elderly. Journal of Korea Gerontological Society, 20(3), 115-128, 2000.
- Seo, B. S., & Kim, S. H. A Study on the Elderly Image of University Students. Journal of Korea Gerontological Society, 19(2), 97-111, 1999.
- Hawkins, J. L., College students attitudes toward elderly person, Educational Gerontology, 22(3), pp. 271-280, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1080/0360127960220305
- Sanders, G. F., Montgomery, J. E., Pittman, Jr. J. F., & Balkwell, C., Youth's attitudes toward the elderly, Journal of Applied Gerontology, 3(1), pp. 59-70, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1177/073346488400300107
- Kim, M. H. Knowledge and Attitude toward the Elderly of the Home Helpers. Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 37, 203-224, 2007.
- Cho, E. Y. Analysis of attitudes and knowledges toward the elderly among the medical doctors and nurses. MS dissertation of Hanseo University, 2006.
- Lee. Y. M. A study on Welfare Professionals' Attitudes toward the Elderly, 2003. MS dissertation of Ewha woman's University, 2003.
- Kim, S. G., Yang, G. Mi., Oh, H. Y., & Kim, J. S. Nursing and Social Welfare Students' Knowledge and Attitudes toward the Elderly. Journal of Korea Gerontological Society, 22(3), 21-36, 2002.
- Kim, M. H. Social welfare student's attitudes toward the Elderly. Journal fo Social Sciences, 8, 1-11, 2002.
- Kim, Y. J. Kang I., Lee, C. S. A Study on Attitudes toward Older Adults. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 22(1), 63-77, 2004.
- Allport, G. W., Personality: A psychological interpretation, New York: H. Holt & Company, 1973
- Tuckman J,. Lorge, I., The influence of a course on the psychology of the adult on attitudes toward old people and old workers, Journal of Educational Psychology, 43, pp. 400-407, 1952. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0062469
- Kim, K. S. A study on young people's view of the aged. MS dissertation of Seoshin Woman's University, 1987.
- Park, G. R. The Effects of Parent-Grandparent Relationship Quality for the Grandparent Grandchild Relationship. Journal of Korea Gerontological Society, 14(2), 74-89, 1994.
- Cho, S. H. A Study on the welfare plan for the aged through analysing college student's attitude toward the aged. MS dissertation of Busan University, 1990.
- Barton, H., Effects of an intergenerational program on the attitudes of emotionally disturbed youth toward the elderly, Educational Gerontology, 25(3), pp. 623-640, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/036012799267503
- Knox, V. J., Gekoski, W. I., & Johnson, E. A., Contact with and perceptions of the elderly, The Gerontologist, 26, pp. 309-313, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/26.3.309
- Caspi, A., Contact hypothesis and inner-age attitudes: A field study of a cross-age contact, Social Psychology Quarterly, 47, pp. 47-80, 1984.
- Bringle, R. G., & Kremer, J. F., Evaluation of an intergenerational service-learning project for undergraduates, Educational Gerontology, 23(3), pp. 656-670, 1993.
- Hong, D. S. Social Psychology, Seoul : Parkyoungsa. 1987.