- Volume 12 Issue 12
Using longitudinal data of 108 firms in large business conglomerates from 2001 to 2009, this study examines the impact of controlling shareholders' control-ownership disparity on R&D investment. The study finds that control-ownership disparity is negatively related to R&D intensity. This empirical result suggests that controlling shareholders' control rights in excess of ownership rights incent controlling shareholders' expropriation for their private interests, leading to decreased R&D investment which enhances firm value in the long term.
Control-Ownership Disparity;R&D;Controlling Shareholder
- Amihud, Y. and Lev, B., "Risk Reduction As A Managerial Motive For Conglomerate Mergers," The Bell Journal Of Economics, 12, 605-617, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3003575
- Attig N., Excess Control and the Risk of Corporate Expropriation: Canadian Evidence," Canadian Journal of Administrative Science, 24, 94-106, 2007 https://doi.org/10.1002/cjas.10
- Bae, K.H., Kang J.K. and Kim J. M., "Tunneling or Value Added? Evidence from Mergers by Korean Business Group," Journal of Finance, 57(6), 2695-2740, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1111/1540-6261.00510
- Choi H.M. and Cho Y.G.,, "Control-Ownership Disparity and Firm Value: The Moderating Effect of Foreign Ownership," International Business Review, 15(3), 93-108, 2011.
- Choi K. D. and Ahn H. B., "After Economic Crisis, An Empirical Study on Relationship among the Governance-Ownership Structure of Korean Chaebol firms, Accounting Policy and Firm Value: Considering on an endogenous effect," Journal of Industrial Economics and Business, 20(2), 551-577, 2007.
- Claessens, S. Djankov, S., Fan, H. and Lang, L. H. P., "Disentangling the Incentive and Entrenchment Effects of Large Shareholder," Journal of Finance, 57(6), 2741-2771, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1111/1540-6261.00511
- Fama, Eugene F. and Michael C. Jensen., "Agency Problem and Residual Claims", Journal Of Law and Economics, 26, 327-349. 1983. https://doi.org/10.1086/467038
- Gugler, K. and Yurtoglue, B., "Corporate Governance and Dividend Pay-out Policy in Germany," European Economic Review, 47, 731-758, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-2921(02)00291-X
- Hoskisson, R. E., Hitt, A. and Hill, L., "Managerial Incentives and Investment in R&D in Multiproduct Firms," Organizational Science, 4, 325-341, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.4.2.325
- Jensen Mi.C. and William Meckling, "Theory Of The Firm: Managerial Behavior, Agency Costs and Ownership Structure," Journal Of Financial Economics, 3(4), 305-360, 1976. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(76)90026-X
- Jensen Michael C., "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance and Takeovers," American Economic Review, 76, 323-329, 1986.
- Johnson S., La Porta R., Lopez-De-Silanes, F., and Shleifer, A. "Tunneling," American Economic Review, 90(2), 22-27, 2000 https://doi.org/10.1257/aer.90.2.22
- Joh, S. W., "Corporate Governance and Firm Profitability: Evidence from Korea before the Economic Crisis," Journal of Financial Economics, 68, 287-322, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-405X(03)00068-0
- Kang W., Shin H. H. and Chang J. H., "The Effect of a Disparity between Cashflow Right and Voting Right on Firm Value and Performance: The Case of Korean Large Business Groups," The Korean Journal of Finance Association, 18(2), 1-39, 2005.
- Kim D. H., Kim D. W. and Kim B. G., "Ownership-control Disparity and Corporate Diversification in Korea: Perspectives of Agency Problem," The Korean Journal of Financial Engineering, 9(3), 123-147, 2010.
- Kim D. H., Kim D. W. and Kim B. G., "Ownership-control Disparity and Corporate Value in Korea: The Consequences of Owner-managed and Agent-Led Firm," The Korean Journal of Financial Engineering, 10(1), 67-97, 2011.
- Kim P. K., "The Effects of Capital Structure and Internal Funds on Investments," Journal of CEO and Management Studies, 7(2), 61-83, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/mmng.4860070105
- Kim. J.-B. and Yi, C. H., "Ownership Structure, Business Group Affiliation, Listing Status and Earning Management: Evidence from Korea," Contemporary Accounting Research, 23(2), 427-464, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1506/7T5B-72FV-MHJV-E697
- La Porta, R., Lopez-De-Silanes, F., Shleifer, A. and Vishney, R., "Investor Protection and Corporate Valuation," Journal of Finance, 57(3) 1147-1170, 2002.
- La Porta, R., Lopez-De-Silanes, F., Shleifer, A., "Corporate Ownership around the World," Journal of Finance, 54(2), 471-517, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1111/0022-1082.00115
- Lemmon, M. L. and Lins, K. V., "Ownership Structure, Corporate Governance and Firm Value: evidence from the East Asian Financial Crisis," Journal of Finance, 58(4), 1451-1468, 2003.
- Lins, K. V. and Servaes, H., "Is Corporate Diversification Beneficial in Emerging Markets," Financial Management, Summer, 5-31, 2002.
- Lins, K. V., "Equity Ownership and Firm Value in Emerging Markets," Journal of Financial quantitative analysis, 38(1), 159-184, 2003. https://doi.org/10.2307/4126768
- May, D.O., "Do Managerial Motives Influence Firm Risk Reduction Strategies?," Journal of Finance, 50(4), 1291-1308, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/2329353
- Mitton, T., "A Cross-Firm Analysis of the Impact of Corporate Governance on the East Asian Financial Crisis," Journal of Financial Economics, 64, 215-241, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-405X(02)00076-4
- Myers, S. C. and Majuf, N. S., "Corporate Financing and Investment Decision: When, Firms Have Information that Investors Do Not Have," Journal of Financial Economics, 23, 187-221, 1984.
- Shleifer, A. and Vishny, R. W., "A Survey of Corporate Governance," Journal of Finance, 52(2), 737-783, 1997. https://doi.org/10.2307/2329497
- Young, M. N., Peng, M. W., Ahlstrom, D., Bruton, G. D. and Jiang, Y., "Corporate Governance in Emerging Economies: A Review of the Principal and Principal Perspective," Journal of management studies, 45(1), 196-220, 2008 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2007.00752.x