- Volume 12 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A study on the Health Status, Social Support and Acculturative Stress of Filipino Marriage-Migrant Women
국제결혼한 필리핀 이주여성의 건강상태, 사회적 지지와 문화적응 스트레스
- Received : 2011.08.22
- Accepted : 2011.12.13
- Published : 2011.12.31
Purpose: The aim of the study was to identify the health status and social support of international married women according to acculturative stress. Methods : Filipino marriage-migrant 110 women participated in the study, lived D city and C city from December 2009 to June 2010. Results: The average score of health status was 83.47. The average score of social support was 3.48. The average score of acculturative stress was 2.37. Health status were significantly associated with age, years living in Korea, way of marriage and Korean friends. Social support was associated with age, way of marriage and Korean friends. Acculturative stress were associated with age, years living in Korea and way of marriage. According to acculturative stress level, acculturative stress had a significant impact on health status and social support. Conclusion: These results may contribute to a better understanding of health status, social support and acculturative stress of international married women. These findings are basis to development of health management intervention program for international married women.
Immigrant;Women;Health status;Social support;Acculturative stress
- Yang OK., Song MK, & Im SW, "A study on acculturation stress of internationally-married female migrants in Seoul", Journal of family relations, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 137-168, 2008.
- An YH, "Development and testing of a health education program for immigrant women married to Korean", Journal of Korean Academy of public health nursing, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 200-210, 2008.
- Goh EJ, "Relevance of stress for cultural adaptation, domestic violence, social support, self-esteem and post traumatic stress to psychological health of female migrants throught international marriage", Unpublished master's thesis, Chonnam National University, 2009
- Kim ES, "Acculturative stress, social support and social adjustment of marriage-based immigrant women", Unpublished master's thesis, Chungbuk National University, 2007.
- Noh HN,."A Study on acculturative stress of the chinese women who get married to korean men and settled down in Korea", Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, 2007.
- Hong MK, "A study on acculturative stress and dyadic adjustment of immigrant women who married to Korean Men: Focusing on the mediating effect of social support and couple's communication",Unpublished doctor's thesis, Ewha Womans University, 2009.
- Hover JD & Magana CG, "Exploring the mental health of Mexican migrant farm workers in the midwest: Psychosocial predictors of psychological distress and suggestions of prevention and treatment", Journal of Psychology, vol. 136, no. 5, pp. 493-513, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980209605546
- Lee SH, Lee YJ, Kim SY & Kim SJ, "Social support and acculturative stress in migrant workers", Journal of Korean Academy of nursing, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 899-910, 2009. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.6.899
- Yoo MS, Park JH, Oh SH & Kim YS, "Health care and health status of immigrant women married to Koreans in the visiting care center", Journal of Korean Academic society of home care nursing, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 75-81, 2008.
- Kim GC, "A study for the influence of social support on intermarried immigrant women's acculturative stress who got married to Korean men", Unpublished master's thesis, Sungkyul University, 2010.
- Ban SH, "Acculturation types of internationally married migrant women based on social support", Unpublished master's thesis, Kyunggi University, 2008.
- Lee SR, "A study on acculturative stress among North Korean defectors", Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, 1997.
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Lang, A., & Buchner, A. G*power 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behavior Research Methods. vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 175-191, 2007. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- Park SY, "The effect of a wholistic well-being nursing intervention program for foreign workers in Korea", Unpublished doctor's thesis, Kosin University, 2009.
- Park JW, "A study to development a scale of social support", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, 1985.
- Han KS, " A study of stress reaction symptoms of stress, health promoting behavior, and quality of life in Korean immigrant middle aged women", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 30, no. 3, pp.606-618, 2000. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2000.30.3.606
- Huang YC & Mathers NJ, "Postnatal depression and the experience of South Asian marriage migrant women in Taiwan", International Journal of Nursing Studies, vol. 45, pp. 924-931, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2007.02.006
- Lamkaddem M, Spreeuwenberg PM, Deville WL, Foets M & Groenewegen PP, "Changes in health and primary health care use of Mococcan and Turkish migrants between 2001 and 2005", BMC Public Health, vol. 8, no.40, pp. 1-8, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-8-1
- Lee GH, "Acculturative stress and depression of immigrant married women", Unpublished master's thesis, Konkuk University, 2009.
- Kang SJ, "A study about the relationship between marriage satisfaction and support of the female marriage immigrants", Unpublished master's thesis, Sangji University, 2008.
- Kim GH, "Characteristics of health behavior and the medical utilization of female marriage immigrants in a rural area", Unpublished master's thesis, Kyungpook National University, 2008.
- Lee IS, "The Influence of acculturative stress on migrant workers' mental health: focused on the moderating effects of social relationship", Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, 2004.
- Kweon GY & Park KW, "A study on influence factors to the mental health of foreign wives", Journal of Social Issues, vol. 14, pp. 187-219, 2007.
- Tran TV, Sung T & Huynh-Hohnbaum AL, "A measure of English accuturation stress and its relationship with psychological and physical health status in a simple elderly Russian immigrants", Journal of Gerontological Social Work, vol. 50, no. 3-4, pp. 34-50, 2008.
- Foreign Workers' Acculturative Stress in Korea Society vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.8.3832