- Volume 36 Issue 4
After the first report that electrons with sub-ionization energy of DNA could cause single strand breaks or double strand breaks to DNA, there have been various studies to investigate the mechanisms of DNA damage by low-energy electrons. In this paper, we examined the possibility of using X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) to analyze the dissociation patterns of the molecular bonds by electron irradiation on DNA thin films and tried to establish the method as a general tool for studying the radiation damage of biomolecules by low energ yelectrons. For the experiment, pBR322 plasmid DNA solution was formed into the films on tantalum plates by lyophilization and was irradiated by 5-eV electrons. Un-irradiated and irradiated DNA films were compared and analyzed using the XPS technique.
Supported by : Chungnam National University
- Boudaiffa B, Cloutier P, Hunting D, Huels MA, Sanche L. Resonant formation of DNA strand breaks by low-energy(3 to 20 eV) electrons. Science. 2000;287:1658-1660. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.287.5458.1658
- Sanche L. Low energy electron-driven damage in biomolecules. Eur. Phys. J. D. 2005;35:367-390 https://doi.org/10.1140/epjd/e2005-00206-6
- Park YS, Noh HA. Cho H, Dumont A, Ptasinska S, Bass AD, Sanche L. XPS study on DNA Damages by Low-Energy Electron Irradiation. J. Radiat. Protection. 2008;33:53-59.
- Barrious R, Skurski P, Simons J. Mechanism for Damage to DNA by low-energy electrons. J. Phys. Chem. B. 2002;106:7991-7994. https://doi.org/10.1021/jp013861i
- Berdys J, Anusiewics I, Skurski P, Simons J. Damage to model DNA fragments from very low-energy(<1 eV) electrons. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2004;126:6441.
- Martin F, Burrow PD, Cai Z, Cloutier P, Hunting D, Sanche L. DNA strand breaks induced by 0-4 eV electrons: The role of shape resonances. Phys. Rev. Lett. 2004;93:068101. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.93.068101
- Garcia J, Subias G, Cuartero V, Herrero-Martin J. On the correlation between the X-ray absorption chemical shift and the formal valence state in the mixed-valence manganites. J. Synchrotron Rad. 2010;17:386-392. https://doi.org/10.1107/S0909049510010277
- May CJ, Canavan HE, Castner DG. Quantitative X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy and Time-of- Flight Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry Characterization of the Components in DNA. Anal. Chem. 2004;76:1114. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac034874q
- Peeling J, Hruska FE, McIntyre NS. ESCA spectra and molecular charge distributions for some pyrimidine and purine bases. Can. J. Chem. 1978; 56:1555. https://doi.org/10.1139/v78-252
- Furukawa M, Fujisawa H, Katano S, Ogawawara H, Kim Y, Komeda T, Nilsson A, Kawai M. Geometrical charaterization of pyrimidine base molecules adsorbed on Cu(110) surfaces: XPS and NEXAFS studies. Surf. Sci. 2003;532-535:261- 266 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0039-6028(03)00464-3
- Zheng Y, Cloutier P, Hunting DJ, Sanche L, Wagner JR. Chemical basis of DNA sugar- phosphate cleavage by low-energy electrons J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2005;127:16592-16598. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja054129q
- Li X, Sevilla MD, Sanche L. Density functional theory studies of electron interaction with DNA: can zero eV electrons induce strand breaks? J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2003;125:13668-13669. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja036509m