- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Characteristics of Seismic Source and Response Spectrum of Ground Motions from Recent Earthquake near the Backryoung Island
최근 백령도해역 발생지진의 지진원 및 응답스펙트럼 특성 분석
- Kim, Jun-Kyoung (Semyung Univesity)
- 김준경 (세명대학교)
- Received : 2011.10.10
- Accepted : 2011.11.18
- Published : 2011.11.30
We analysed ground motions form Mw 4.3 earthquake around Backryoung Island for the seismic source focal mechanism and horizontal response spectrum. Focal mechanism of the Backryoung Islands area was compared to existing principal stress orientation of the Korean Peninsula and horizontal response spectrum was also compared to those of the US NRC Regulatory Guide (1.60) and the Korean National Building Code. The ground motions of 3 stations, including vertical, radial, and tangential components for each station, were used for grid search method of moment tensor seismic source. The principal stress orientation from this study, ENE-WSW, is consistent fairly well with that of the Korean Peninsula. The horizontal response spectrum using 30 observed ground motions analysed and then were compared to both the seismic design response spectra (Reg Guide 1.60), applied to the domestic nuclear power plants, and the Korean Standard Design Response Spectrum for general structures and buildings (1997). Response spectrum of 30 horizontal ground motions were used for normalization with respect to the peak acceleration value of each ground motion. The results showed that the horizontal response spectrum revealed higher values for frequency bands above 3 Hz than Reg. Guide (1.60). The results were also compared to the Korean Standard Response Spectrum for the 3 different soil types and showed that the vertical response spectra revealed higher values for the frequency bands below 0.8 second than the Korean Standard Response Spectrum (SD soil condition). However, through the qualitative improvements and quantitative enhancement of the observed ground motions, the conservation of horizontal seismic design response spectrum should be considered more significantly for the higher frequency bands.
- 건설교통부, 1997, 내진설계기준개발 2단계 연구보고서, 한국지진공학회.
- 김성균, 2007, 한반도 지진특성을 고려하여 모사된 강진동에 대한 가속도 응답스펙트럼, 한국지구과학회지, 28, 179-186.
- 김성균, 정부흥, 1985, 한국 남부지역의 지각구조 광산지질, 18, 151-157.
- 김준경, 2007a, 오대산지진(2007/01/20)의 지진원 특성에 관한 연구, 대한지질공학회, 17, 473-500.
- 김준경, 2007b, 울진지진(2004/05/29)의 지진원 특성에 관한 연구, 한국지진공학회, 16, 33-39.
- 김준경, 2009, 최근 발생지진 관측자료를 이용한 응답스펙트럼 분석, 한국암반공학회, 19, 490-497.
- 김준경, 2010, 국내 관측자료를 이용한 수평 응답스펙트럼 분석, 한국암반공학회, 20, 399-407.
- 선창국, 정충기, 김동수, 김재관, 2007, 역사지진 피해발생 읍성지역에 대한 부지고유의 지진응답 평가, 한국지질공학회, 17, 1-13.
- 윤종구, 김동수, 방은석, 2006, 국내 지반특성에 적합한 지반분류 방법 및 설계응답스펙트럼 계산에 대한 연구(I) 국내 내진설계 기준의 문제점, 한국지진공학회, 10, 39-50.
- 전명순, 전정수, 2010, 한반도 및 인근의 지진 메카니즘 특성, 한국지구물리.물리탐사학회, 13, 198-202.
- Backus, G. and Mulcahy, M., 1976, Moment tensors and other phenomenological descriptions of seismic sources II discontinuous displacements Geophys. J. R. astro. Soc., 47, 301-329. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-246X.1976.tb01275.x
- Benioff, H., 1934, The Physical Evaluation of Seismic Destructiveness Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 24, 88-97.
- Biot, J. A., 1941, A Mechanical Analyzer for the Prediction of Earthquake Stresses Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 31, 100-121.
- Boore, D. M., Joyner, W. B., and Fumal, T. E., 1994, Estimation of Response Spectra and Peak Acceleration from Western North American Earthquakes: An Interim Report Part 2, USGS Open File Report, 94-127, Menlo Park, California.
- Gilbert, F. and Dziewonski, A. M., 1975, An application of normal mode theory to the retrieval of structure parameters and source mechanism from seismic structure Phil. Trans. R. Soc., A278, 187-269.
- Hermann, R. B., 2002, Computer Programs in Seismology, University of Saint Louis.
- Housner, G. W., 1959, Behavior of Structures during Earthquakes Journal of the Engineering Mechanics Division, ASCE, 85, 104-111.
- Kim, S. G. and Kraeva, 1998, Source parameter determination of local earthquakes in Korea using moment tensor inversion of single station data Bulletin of Seismological Society of America, 89, 1077-1082.
- Newmark, N. M. and Hall, W. J., 1973, Procedures and Criteria for Earthquake Resistant design Building Research Series 46 Building Practices for Disaster Mitigation National Bureau of Standards, U. S. Department of Commerce.
- Newmark, N. M., Blume, J. A., and Kapur, K. K., 1973, Seismic Design Spectra for Nuclear Power Plants Journal of Power Division, ASCE, 99, 287-303.
- Newmark, N. M., Hall, W. J., and Mohraz, B., 1973, A Study of Vertical and Horizontal Earthquake Spectra Report, WASH-1255, Directorate of Licensing U. S. Atomic Energy Commission.
- Regulatory Guide 1.60, 1968, Design Response Spectra for Seismic Design of Nuclear Power Plants.