- Volume 7 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Integrated Software Quality Evaluation: A Fuzzy Multi-Criteria Approach
- Challa, Jagat Sesh (M.E. Software Systems, Birla Institute of Technology and Science) ;
- Paul, Arindam (M.E. Software Systems, Birla Institute of Technology and Science) ;
- Dada, Yogesh (M.E. Software Systems, Birla Institute of Technology and Science) ;
- Nerella, Venkatesh (M.E. Software Systems, Birla Institute of Technology and Science) ;
- Srivastava, Praveen Ranjan (Department of Computer Science and Information Systems, Birla Institute of Technology and Science) ;
- Singh, Ajit Pratap (Department of Civil Engineering, Birla Institute of Technology and Science)
- Received : 2011.02.23
- Accepted : 2011.07.30
- Published : 2011.09.30
Software measurement is a key factor in managing, controlling, and improving the software development processes. Software quality is one of the most important factors for assessing the global competitive position of any software company. Thus the quantification of quality parameters and integrating them into quality models is very essential. Software quality criteria are not very easily measured and quantified. Many attempts have been made to exactly quantify the software quality parameters using various models such as ISO/IEC 9126 Quality Model, Boehm's Model, McCall's model, etc. In this paper an attempt has been made to provide a tool for precisely quantifying software quality factors with the help of quality factors stated in ISO/IEC 9126 model. Due to the unpredictable nature of the software quality attributes, the fuzzy multi criteria approach has been used to evolve the quality of the software.
Software Quality Parameters;ISO/IEC 9126;Fuzzy Software Quality Quantification Tool (FSQQT);Fuzzy Membership Function;Triangular Fuzzy Sets;KLOC;GUI;CUI
- P. Bourque and R. Dupuis, Guide to the Software Engineering Body of Knowledge, 2004 Edition, Vol.1, IEEE Press Piscataway, NJ, USA, 2004, pp.1-1.
- ISO/IEC 9126-1:2001, "Software Engineering-Product Quality—Part 1: Quality Model", Int'l Organization for Standardization, 2001, Available at "www.iso.org"
- B. W. Boehm, J. R. Brown and M. L. Lipow, "Quantitative Evaluation of Software Quality," Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Software Engineering, San Francisco, CA, USA, October, 1976, pp.592-605.
- J. A. McCall, P. K. Richards, and G. F. Walters, Factors in Software Quality, 1977, Vol.I, II, and III, US Rome Air Development Center Reports - NTIS AD/A-049 014, NTIS AD/A-049 015 and NTIS AD/A-049 016, U. S. Department of Commerce.
- R. G. Dromey, "A model for software product quality," IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol.21, No.2, February, 1995, pp.146-162. https://doi.org/10.1109/32.345830
- P. R. Srivastava and K. Kumar, "An Approach towards Software Quality Assessment," Communications in Computer and Information Systems Series (CCIS Springer Verlag), Vol.31, No.6, 2009, pp.345-346.
- P. R. Srivastava, A. P. Singh, K.V. Vageesh, "Assessment of Software Quality: A Fuzzy Multi - Criteria Approach," Evolution of Computationand Optimization Algorithms in Software Engineering: Applications and Techniques, IGI Global USA, 2010, chapter - 11, pp.200-219.
- A. Sharma, R. Kumar and P.S. Grover, "Estimation of Quality for Software Components - an Empirical Approach," ACM SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes, Vol.33, No.5, November, 2008, pp.1-10.
- S.A. Slaughter, D. E. Harter, & M. S. Krishnan, "Evaluating the Cost of Software Quality," Communications of the ACM, Vol.41, No.8, August, 1998, pp.67-73. https://doi.org/10.1145/280324.280335
- M. Agarwal, & K. Chari, "Software Effort, Quality, and Cycle Time: A Study of CMM Level 5 Projects," IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol.33, No.3, March, 2007, pp.145-156. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSE.2007.29
- O. Maryoly, M.A. Perez and T. Rojas, "Construction of a Systemic Quality Model for Evaluating Software Product," Software Quality Journal, Vol.11, No.3, July, 2003, pp.219-242. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1025166710988
- O. Lamouchi, A.R. Cherif, and N. Levy, "A framework based measurements for evaluating an IS quality," Proceedings of the fifth on Asia-Pacific conference on conceptual modelling, Wollongong, NSW, Australia, January, 2008, pp.39-47.
- Y.Kanellopoulos, P.Antonellis, D. Antoniou, C.Makris, E.Theodoridis, C. Tjortjis and N.Tsirakis, "Code Quality Evaluation Methodology Using The Iso/Iec 9126 Standard," International Journal of Software Engineering & Applications (IJSEA), Vol.1, No.3, July, 2010, pp.17-36. https://doi.org/10.5121/ijsea.2010.1302
- I.Heitlager, T.Kuipers, J.Visser, "A Practical Model for Measuring Maintainability - a preliminary report," 6th International Conference on Quality of Information and Communications Technology (QUATIC), September, 2007, pp.30-39.
- R. Fitzpatrick and C. Higgins, "Usable Software and its Attributes:A synthesis of Software Quality European Community Law and Human-Computer Interaction", Proceedings of the HCI'98 Conference, Springer, London, United Kingdom. 1998, pp.1-19.
- M. Bertoa and A. Vallecillo, "Usability metrics for software components," Proceedings of Quantitative Approaches in Object-Oriented Software Engineering (QAOOSE), Oslo, April, 2006, pp.136-143.
- J. R. Brown and M. Lipow, "Testing for Software Reliability", Proceedings of the international conference on Reliable software, Los Angeles, CA, USA, June, 1975, pp.518-527.
- D. Gupta, K. Vinay andG. H. Mittal, "Comparative Study of Soft Computing Techniques for Software Quality Model," International Journal of Software Engineering Research & Practices, Vol.1, No.1, Jan, 2011, pp.33-37.
- L. Lin and H. M. Lee, "A Fuzzy Software Quality Assessment Model to Evaluate User Satisfaction," Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Innovative Computing, Information and Control, Washington DC, USA, September, 2007, pp.438-442.
- B. Yang, L. Yao and H. Z. Huang, "Early Software Quality Prediction Based on a Fuzzy Neural Network Model," Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Innovative Computing, Information and Control, Washington DC, USA, September, 2007, pp.760-764
- G. Buyukozkan, C. KahramanandD. Ruan, "A fuzzy multi-criteria decisionapproach for software development strategy selection," International Journal ofGeneral Systems, Vol.33, No.(2-3), 2004, pp.259-280. https://doi.org/10.1080/03081070310001633581
- C. W. Chang, C. R. Wu&H. L. Lin, "Integrating fuzzy theory and hierarchyconcepts to evaluate software quality,"Software Quality Journal, Vol.16, No.2, 2008, pp.263-276. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11219-007-9035-2
- K. K. F. Yuen and H. C. W. Lau, "Fuzzy group analytical hierarchy process approach for software qualityassurance management: Fuzzy logarithmic least squares method,"Expert Systems with Applications: An International Journal, Vol.38, No.8, August, 2011, pp.10292-10302. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2011.02.057
- K. K. F. Yuen and H. C. W. Lau, "Evaluating Software Quality of Vendors using Fuzzy Analytic Hierarchy Process,"Proceedings of the International MultiConference of Engineers and Computer ScientistsVol I (IMECS 2008), Hong Kong, March, 2008, pp.126-130.
- J. Senior,I.Allison, and J. A.Tepper, "Automated Software Quality Visualisation Using Fuzzy Logic Techniques,"Communication of the IIMA, Vol.7, No.1, 2007, pp.25-40.
- K. K. Aggarwal, Y. Singh, P. Chandra and M. Puri, "Measurement of Software Maintainability Using a Fuzzy Mode,"Journal of Computer Sciences, Vol.1, No.4, 2005, pp.538-542. https://doi.org/10.3844/jcssp.2005.538.542
- H. Mittal, P. K. Bhatia and P. Goswami, "Software Quality Assessment Based on Fuzzy Logic Technique," International Journal of Software Computing Applications, Issue 3, 2008, pp.105-112.
- P. C. Fishburn,mUtility Theory for Decision Making, Wiley, New York, 1964.
- B. Roy, "Problems and Methods with Multiple Objective Functions, Math. Program," Vol.1, 1971, pp.239-266. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01584088
- S. Kanhe, "A Contribution to Decision Making in Environmental Design," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol.63, Issue.3, 1975, pp.518-528. https://doi.org/10.1109/PROC.1975.9779
- G. Klir and T. Folger, "Fuzzy Sets, Uncertainty and Information," Prentice Hall, New Jersey, USA, 1988.
- S. M. Baas and H. Kwakernaak, "Rating and Ranking of Multiple - Aspect Alternatives Using Fuzzy Sets,"Automatica, Vol.13, No.1, 1977, pp.47-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-1098(77)90008-5
- C. Carlssonand R. Fuller, "Fuzzy multiple criteria decision making: Recent developments,"Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Vol.78, 1996, pp.139-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-0114(95)00165-4
- P. R. Srivastava, P. Jain, A. P. Singh, G. Raghurama, "Software quality factor evaluation using Fuzzy multi-criteria approach,"Proceedings of the 4th Indian International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IICAI 2009), Tumkur, Karnataka, India, December, 2009, pp.1012-1029.
- A.P.Singh and A. K. Vidyarthi, "Optimal allocation of landfill disposal site: A fuzzy multi criteria approach,"Iranian Journal of Environmental Health Science & Engineering, Vol.5, No.1, 2008, pp.25-34.
- IEEE Standard Glossary of Software Engineering terminology, IEEE Std 610.12-1990.
- T.J. Ross, Fuzzy Logic with Engineering Applications,2nd Ed, Wiley India Pvt. Ltd, New Delhi, India, 2004.
- S. Kalaimangal and R. Srinivasan, "A Retrospective on Software Component Quality Models," ACM SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes, Vol.33, No.5, November, 2008, pp.1-9,
- V. Salvatore, A. Cucchiarelli and M. Panti, "Computer Based Assessment Systems Evaluation via the ISO9126 Quality Model,"Journal of Information Technology Education, Vol.1, No.3, 2002, pp.157-175. https://doi.org/10.28945/353
- J.A. Borretzen, "The Impact of Component Based Development on Software Quality Attributes," available at http://www.idi.ntnu.no/emner/dt8100/Essay2005/Boerretzen.pdf
- M.R. Vigder, & A.W. Kark, "Maintaining COTS-Based Systems: Start with the Design,"Fifth International Conference on Commercial-off-the-Shelf (COTS)-Based Software Systems, Orlando, Florida, USA, February, 2006, pp.8-13.
- R. Adnan, and B. Matalkah, "A New Software Quality Model for Evaluating COTS Components,"Journal of Computer Science, Vol.2, No.4, 2006, pp.373-381. https://doi.org/10.3844/jcssp.2006.373.381
- A.P. Singh , "An Integrated Fuzzy Approach to Assess Water Resources' Potential in a watershed", ICFAI Journal of Computational Fluid Mathematics, Vol.1, No.1, 2008, pp.7-23.
- M. Grabisch and M. Roubens, "Application of the Choquet Integral in Multicriteria Decision Making," Fuzzy measures and integrals, PhysicaVerlag, Berlin, 2000, pp.348-374.
- James D Mooney, Bringing portability to the software process, Technical Report TR 97-1, West Virginia University, Dept. of Statistics and Comp.Science, 1997.
- The QoS-based MCDM system for SaaS ERP applications with Social Network vol.66, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11227-012-0832-4
- SOFTWARE ENGINEERING JOB PRODUCTIVITY — A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW vol.23, pp.03, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1142/S0218194013500125
- A framework for SaaS software packages evaluation and selection with virtual team and BOCR of analytic network process vol.67, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11227-013-0995-7
- Machine learning approaches for predicting software maintainability: a fuzzy-based transparent model vol.7, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-sen.2013.0046
- MAQM: a generic object-oriented framework to build quality models for Web-based applications 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13198-016-0512-5
- An algorithm on fairness verification of mobile sink routing in wireless sensor network vol.17, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00779-012-0536-z
- A Fuzzy TOPSIS based Approach for ITSM Software Selection vol.5, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4018/ijitbag.2014070101