- Volume 7 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Wavelet-based Feature Extraction Algorithm for an Iris Recognition System
- Panganiban, Ayra (School of Electical, Electronics and Computer Engineering, Mapua Institute of Technology) ;
- Linsangan, Noel (School of Electical, Electronics and Computer Engineering, Mapua Institute of Technology) ;
- Caluyo, Felicito (School of Electical, Electronics and Computer Engineering, Mapua Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2011.02.07
- Accepted : 2011.05.16
- Published : 2011.09.30
The success of iris recognition depends mainly on two factors: image acquisition and an iris recognition algorithm. In this study, we present a system that considers both factors and focuses on the latter. The proposed algorithm aims to find out the most efficient wavelet family and its coefficients for encoding the iris template of the experiment samples. The algorithm implemented in software performs segmentation, normalization, feature encoding, data storage, and matching. By using the Haar and Biorthogonal wavelet families at various levels feature encoding is performed by decomposing the normalized iris image. The vertical coefficient is encoded into the iris template and is stored in the database. The performance of the system is evaluated by using the number of degrees of freedom, False Reject Rate (FRR), False Accept Rate (FAR), and Equal Error Rate (EER) and the metrics show that the proposed algorithm can be employed for an iris recognition system.
Biometrics;Degrees of Freedom;Iris Recognition;Wavelet
- P. Khaw, "Iris Recognition Technology for Improved Authentication", SANS Security Essentials (GSEC) Practical Assignment, version 1.3, SANS Institute, 2002, pp.5-8.
- A. Basit, M. Y. Javed, M. A. Anjum, "Efficient Iris Recognition Method for Human Identification", World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology 4, 2005.
- J. Daugman, "Demodulation by Complex-Valued Wavelets for Stochastic Pattern Recognition", International Journal of Wavelets, Multiresolution and Information Processing, Vol.1, No.1, January, 2003, WSPC/181-IJWMIP 00002, pp.1-17. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0219691303000025
- S. Lim, K. Lee, O. Byeon, and T. Kim, "Efficient Iris Recognition through Improvement of Feature Vector and Classifier", ETRI Journal, Vol.23, No.2, June, 2001. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.01.0101.0203
- J. Daugman, "High Confidence Visual Recognition of Persons by a Test of Statistical Independence". IEEE Transl. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.15, issue 11, 1993.
- T. Yew, "Detail Preserving Image Compression using Wavelet Transform", IEEE Region Student Paper Contest UG Category, 1995.
- Makram Nabti and Bouridane, "An effective iris recognition system based on wavelet maxima and Gabor filter bank", IEEE trans. on iris recognition, 2007.
- Narote et al. "An iris recognition based on dual tree complex wavelet transform". IEEE trans. on iris recognition, 2007.
- L. Masek, "Recognition of Human Iris Patterns for Biometric Identification", The University of Western California, 2003.
- Biometric Data Interchange Formats - Part 6: Iris Image Data, Safety of Laser Products - Part 1: Equipment classification Requirements and User's Guide, IEC 60852-1, 2001.
- J. Canny, "A Computational Approach To Edge Detection", IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 8:679-714, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.1986.4767851
- A. Graps, "An Introduction to Wavelets", IEEE Computational Science and Engineering, Summer 1995.
- M. Misiti, Y. Misiti, G. Oppenheim, and J Poggi, Wavelet Toolbox 4 User's Guide, 1997-2009.
- CBSR, 2005. Center for biometrics and security research. CASIA-IrisV3, http://www.cbsr.ia.ac.cn/IrisDatabase.htm
- J. Daugman, "How Iris Recognition Works", IEEE Proc. on Image Processing, 2002, doi: 10.1109/ICIP.2002.1037952, pp.33-36.
- S. Attarchi, K. Faez, and A. Asghari, "A Fast and Accurate Iris Recognition Method Using the Complex Inversion Map and 2DPCA", IEEE Conference on Computer and Information Science, May, 2008, doi:10.1109/ICIS.2008.69, pp.179-184.
- Motion detection with pyramid structure of background model for intelligent surveillance systems vol.25, pp.7, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engappai.2012.02.002
- Fast multi-feature pedestrian detection algorithm based on histogram of oriented gradient using discrete wavelet transform vol.75, pp.23, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11042-015-2455-2
- Cyber secure corroboration through CIB approach vol.9, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s41870-017-0018-7
- Efficient noise reduction in images using directional modified sigma filter vol.65, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11227-012-0844-0
- 2-DWT and AES: Secure Authentication Management for Polar Iris Templates Using Visual Cryptography vol.45, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1520/JTE20140528