- Volume 14 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Thermal Flow Analysis of Operating Parameters in Autothermal Reformer
자열개질기의 운용조건에 따른 열유동 수치해석
- Received : 2011.07.07
- Accepted : 2011.10.31
- Published : 2011.12.01
The study is to analyze the chemical and heat-flow reactions in the hydrogen generation unit(autothermal reformer), using computational numerical tools. Autothermal reformer(ATR) is involved in complex chemical reaction, mass and heat transfer due to exothermic and endothermic reactions. Therefore it is necessary to reveal the effects of various operation parameters and geometries on the ATR performance by using numerical analysis. Numerical analysis needs to dominant chemical reactions that includes Full Combustion(FC) reaction, Steam Reforming(SR) reaction, Water-Gas Shift(WGS) reaction and Direct Steam Reforming(DSR) reaction. The objective of the study is to improve theoretically the reformer design capability for the goal of high hydrogen production in the autothermal reformer using methane. Hydrogen production reached maximum in a certain value of Oxygen to Carbon Ratio(OCR) or Steam to Carbon Ratio(SCR). When the longitudinal distance to dimeter ratio(L/D) is increased, hydrogen production increases.
Grant : 고온 PEMFC용 연료처리장치 개발
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원
- Larminiie, J. and Dicks, A., 2003, "Fuel Cell System Explained, Second Edition," John Wiley & Sons, pp 229-279.
- Yooncheol Yang, Youngnam Chun, 2009, "Propane Reforming in Gliding Arc Plasma Reformer for SynGas Generation," KSME B, Vol. 33, No. 11, pp. 869-875. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-B.2009.33.11.869
- Inyong Kang and Joongmyeon Bae, 2006, "Autothermal Reforming Study of Diesel for Fuel Cell Application," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 159, No. 2, pp. 1283-1290. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2005.12.048
- V. M. Janardhanan, O. Deutschmann, 2006, "CFD analysis of a solid oxide fuel cell with internal reforming: Coupled interactions of transport, heterogeneous catalysis and electrochemical processes," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 162, No. 2, pp. 1192-1202. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2006.08.017
- Jae-seong Lee, Ho-young Kim, 2010, "The effects of Geometry Variations of Reformer System on the Heat-flow and Reforming Efficiency," KOSCO SYMPOSIUM 논문집, Vol. 41, pp. 47-54.
- Ji-Seok Kim, Jae-Seong Lee and Ho-Young Kim, 2011, "The Effect of Operating Conditions on the Heat-flow Characteristics and Reforming Efficiency of Steam Reformer with Combustor," 한국연소학회지, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 36-45.
- Joonguen Park, Shinku Lee, Sungkwang Lim and Joongmyeon Bae, 2008, "Numerical Study on Correlation between Operating Parameters and Reforming Efficiency for a Methane Autothermal Reformer," Transactions of the KSME B, Vol. 32, No. 8, pp. 636-644. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-B.2008.32.8.636
- Fluent 6.3 User's Guide.
- Xu, J and Froment, G. F., 1989, "Methane Steam Reforming, Methanation and Water-Gas Shift I. Intrinsic Kinetics," Journal of AiChe., Vol 35, No. 1, pp. 88-96. https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.690350109