- Volume 40 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Bioavailability of Aspartic Acid Chelated Iron on Iron-deficient Rats
아스파르트산 킬레이트 철분의 철분 결핍쥐에서의 생물학적 유용성
- Park, Myoung-Gyu (Dept. of Food Science & Biotechnology, Kyonggi University) ;
- Ha, Tae-Yul (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Shin, Kwang-Soon (Dept. of Food Science & Biotechnology, Kyonggi University)
- Received : 2011.10.28
- Accepted : 2011.11.23
- Published : 2011.12.31
Aspartic acid chelated iron (Asp-Fe) was synthesized by a new method using calcium carbonate, aspartic acid, and ferrous sulfate. This study was carried out to investigate the bioavailability of Asp-Fe in iron-deficient rats. We divided the rats into four experimental groups. The first was the normal diet control group, or NC. The second was the no treated control group of iron-deficient (ID) rats, or ID+C. The third was the heme-iron (heme-Fe) treated group of ID rats, ID+heme-Fe. And the fourth was the Asp-Fe treated group of ID rats, or ID+Asp-Fe. There were no differences among any of the experimental groups in diet consumption, change of body weight, or the weight of the livers, kidneys, or spleens. After 7 days of feeding, the iron content in the sera of the ID+Asp-Fe group (175.2
- Charlton RW, Bothwell TH. 1982. Definition, prevalence and prevention of iron deficiency. Clin Haematol 11: 309-325.
- Finch CA, Huebers H. 1982. Perspectives in iron metabolism. N Engl J Med 306: 1520-1528. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM198206243062504
- Lieu PT, Heiskala M, Peterson PA, Yang Y. 2001. The roles of iron in health and disease. Mol Aspects Med 22: 1-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0098-2997(00)00006-6
- Cairo G, Bernuzzi F, Recalcati S. 2006. A precious metal: Iron, an essential nutrient for all cells. Genes & Nutrition 1: 25-39. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02829934
- Beard JL. 2001. Iron biology in immune function, muscle metabolism and neuronal functioning. J Nutr 131: 568S-580S. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/131.2.568S
- Fritz JC, Pla GW, Roberts T, Boehne JW, Hove EL. 1970. Biological availability in animals of iron from common dietary sources. J Agric Food Chem 18: 647-651. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf60170a031
- Monsen ER. 1988. Iron nutrition and absorption－Dietary factors which impact iron bioavailability. J Am Diet Assoc 88: 786-790.
- Osterloh KRS, Simpson RJ, Snape S, Peters TJ. 1987. Intestinal iron-absorption and mucosal transferrin in rats subjected to hypoxia. Blut 55: 421-431. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00367458
- Mackenzie B, Garrick MD. 2005. Iron imports. II. Iron uptake at the apical membrane in the intestine. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 289: G981-G986. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpgi.00363.2005
- Kim YJ. 1999. Iron bioavailability in iron-fortified market milk. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 28: 705-709.
- Lebrun F, Bazus A, Dhulster P, Guillochon D. 1998. Solubility of heme in heme-iron enriched bovine hemoglobin hydrolysates. J Agric Food Chem 46: 5017-5025. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9805698
- The Korean Nutrition Society. 2010. Dietary reference intakes for Koreans. 8th rev. The Korean Nutrition Society, Seoul, Korea. p 409.
- Quintero-Gutierrez AG, González-Rosendo G, Sanchez-Munoz J, Polo-Pozo J, Rodríguez-Jerez JJ. 2008. Bioavailability of heme iron in biscuit filling using piglets as an animal model for humans. Int J Biol Sci 4: 58-62.
- Tako E, Rutzke MA, Glahn RP. 2010. Using the domestic chicken (Gallus gallus) as an in vivo model for iron bioavailability. Poult Sci 89: 514-521. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2009-00326
- Chen OS, Blemings KP, Schalinske KL, Eisenstein RS. 1998. Dietary iron intake rapidly influences iron regulatory proteins, ferritin subunits and mitochondrial aconitase in rat liver. J Nutr 128: 525-535. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/128.3.525
- Kasvosve I, Delanghe J. 2002. Total iron binding capacity and transferrin concentration in the assessment of iron status. Clin Chem Lab Med 40: 1014-1018. https://doi.org/10.1515/CCLM.2002.176
- Gottschalk R, Wigand R, Dietrich CF, Oremek G, Liebisch F, Hoelzer D, Kaltwasser JP. 2000. Total iron-binding capacity and serum transferrin determination under the influence of several clinical conditions. Clin Chim Acta 293: 127-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-8981(99)00242-9
- Malin MJ, Mihalik MC, Sclafani L. 1983. Determination of hematocrit based on diffusion of an inert molecular probe from agarose gels into whole blood. Anal Biochem 129: 434-445. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(83)90574-2
- Miret S, Simpson RJ, McKie AT. 2003. Physiology and molecular biology of dietary iron absorption. Annu Rev Nutr 23: 283-301. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.nutr.23.011702.073139
- Olivares M, Pizarro F, Pineda O, Name JJ, Hertrampf E, Walter T. 1997. Milk inhibits and ascorbic acid favors ferrous bis-glycine chelate bioavailability in humans. J Nutr 127: 1407-1411. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/127.7.1407
- Layrisse M, Garcia-Casal MN, Solano L, Baron MA, Arguello F, Llovera D, Ramirez J, Leets I, Tropper E. 2000. Iron bioavailability in humans from breakfasts enriched with iron bis-glycine chelate, phytates and polyphenols. J Nutr 130: 2195-2199. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/130.9.2195