- Volume 35 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Phytochemical Characteristics of Coffee Bean Treated by Coating of Ginseng Extract
- Choi, Sang-Yoon (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Hong, Hee-Do (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Bae, Hye-Min (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Choi, Chang-Sun (Department of Food and Nutrition, School of Food Science and Technology, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Tack (Korea Food Research Institute)
- Received : 2011.05.06
- Accepted : 2011.08.30
- Published : 2011.12.26
The principal objective of this study was to assess the instrumental and sensory characteristics of ginseng coffee with different ratios of the ingredients: type of coffee bean (Colombia, Brazil, and Indonesia), type of ginseng extract (white ginseng, red ginseng, and America ginseng) and concentration of ginseng extract (3, 6, and 9 w/v %). The sensory optimal condition of white ginseng coffee, red ginseng coffee and America ginseng coffee were as follows: 3% Indonesian coffee bean coated with 3% white ginseng extract, Colombian coffee bean coated with 6% red ginseng extract and Colombian coffee bean coated with 3% American ginseng extract, respectively. In particular, the Colombian coffee bean coated with 6% red ginseng extract had significantly higher scores than other samples in terms of flavor, taste, and overall preference. Additionally, the contents of total ginsenoside and total sugar and total phenolic compounds were also highest in the Colombian coffee bean coated with 6% red ginseng extract.
- Nam KY. The comparative understanding between red ginseng and white ginsengs, processed ginsengs (Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer). J Ginseng Res 2005;29:1-18. https://doi.org/10.5142/JGR.2005.29.1.001
- Lee JW, Do JH. Market trend of health functional food and the prospect of ginseng market. J Ginseng Res 2005;29:206-214. https://doi.org/10.5142/JGR.2005.29.4.206
- Kim NY, Han MJ. Development of ginseng yogurt fermented by Bifidobacterium spp. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 2005;21:575-584.
- Sung JH, Han MJ. Quality characteristics of Jeungpyun manufactured by ginseng Makgeolli. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 2008;24:837-848.
- Yoon BS, Hwang SY, Chun DS, Kong SK, Kang KO. An investigation of the characteristics of sponge cake with ginseng powder. Korean J Food Nutr 2007;20:20-26.
- Cho YY, Cho KY. Medical foods eating by color. Seoul: Gwangmungak, 2003.
- Shin KE, Choi SK, Rha YA. Quality characteristics of Tarakjuk added with ginseng (Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer). Korean J Culinary Res 2009;15:86-98.
- Seo HS, Kim SH, Han BY, Hwang IK. Quality characteristics of coffee-sulgi (rice cake) with different ratios of ingredients and commercial scheme. Korean J Soc Food Cookery Sci 2004;20:170-179.
- Dubois M, Gilles KA, Hamilton JK, Rebers PA, Smith F. Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances. Anal Chem 1956;28:350-356. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60111a017
- Do JH, Lee HO, Lee SK, Jang JK, Lee SD, Sung HS. Colorimetric determination of acidic polysaccharide from Panax ginseng, its extraction condition and stability. Korean J Ginseng Sci 1993;17:139-144.
- Singleton VL, Rossi JA Jr. Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic-phosphotungstic acid reagents. Am J Enol Vitic 1965;16:144-158.
- Kim HK, Hwang SY, Yun SB, Chun DS, Gong SK, Kang GO. A study of characteristics of different coffee beans by roasting and extracting condition. Korean J Food Nutr 2007;20:14-19.
- Kim KT, Lee YC, Cho CW, Rhee YK, Bae HM. Quality characteristics of ginseng coffee treated by coating of white ginseng extract. J Ginseng Res 2010;34:1-7. https://doi.org/10.5142/JGR.2010.34.1.001
- Ko SG, Lee RC, Choi YE, Im BO, Sung JH, Yoon KR. Analysis of ginsenosides of white and red ginseng concentrates. Korean J Food Sci Technol 2003;35:536-539.
- Growth Performance and Fatty Acid Profiles of Broilers Given Diets Supplemented with Fermented Red Ginseng Marc Powder Combined with Red Koji vol.18, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/1806-9061-2015-0191