- Volume 7 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Multi-Application Controller for SAGE-enabled Tiled Display Wall in Wide-area Distributed Computing Environments
- Fujiwara, Yuki ;
- Date, Susumu ;
- Ichikawa, Kohei ;
- Takemura, Haruo
- Received : 2010.10.01
- Accepted : 2011.01.07
- Published : 2011.12.31
Due to the recent advancement of networking and high-performance computing technologies, scientists can easily access large-scale data captured by scientific measurement devices through a network, and use huge computational power harnessed on the Internet for their analyses of scientific data. However, visualization technology, which plays a role of great importance for scientists to intuitively understand the analysis results of such scientific data, is not fully utilized so that it can seamlessly benefit from recent high-performance and networking technologies. One of such visualization technologies is SAGE (Scalable Adaptive Graphics Environment), which allows people to build an arbitrarily sized tiled display wall and is expected to be applied to scientific research. In this paper, we present a multi-application controller for SAGE, which we have developed, in the hope that it will help scientists efficiently perform scientific research requiring high-performance computing and visualization. The evaluation in this paper indicates that the efficiency of completing a comparison task among multiple data is increased by our system.
Tiled Display Wall;SAGE;Multiple Application Control
- I. Foster and C. Kesselman, "The Anatomy of the Grid: Enabling Scalable Virtual Organizations," International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications, Vol.15, No.3, 2001, pp.200-222. https://doi.org/10.1177/109434200101500302
- D. Nurmi, R. Wolski, C. Grzegorczyk, G. Obertelli, S. Soman, L. Youseff and D. Zagorodnov, "The Eucalyptus Open-source Cloud-computing System," Proceedings of 9th IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid, Shanghai, China, May, 2009, pp.124-131.
- C. Trapnell and M. C. Schatz. "Optimizing data intensive GPGPU computations for DNA sequence alignment," Parallel Computing, Vol.35, No.8-9, 2009, pp.429-440. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.parco.2009.05.002
- D. Geer. "Chip makers turn to multicore processors," IEEE Computer, Vol.38, No.5, 2005, pp.11-13.
- "SINET3 Science Information NETwork," http://www.sinet.ad.jp/
- "JGN2plus Advanced Testbed Network for R&D," http://www.jgn.nict.go.jp/
- "Salable Adaptive Graphics Environment (SAGE)," http://www.evl.uic.edu/cavern/sage/index.php
- L. Renambot, A. Rao, R. Singh, B. Jeong, N. Krishnaprasad, V. Vishwanath, V. Chandrasekhar, N. Schwarz, A. Spale, C. Zhang, G. Goldman, J. Leigh and A. Johnson, "SAGE: the scalable adaptive graphics environment," Proceedings of the Fourth Workshop on Advanced Collaborative Environments, Nice, France, September, 2004.
- B. Jeong, L. Renambot, R. Jagodic, R. Singh, J. Aguilera, A. Johnson and J. Leigh, "High-performance dynamic graphics streaming for scalable adaptive graphics environment," Proceedings of the 2006 ACM/IEEE conference on Supercomputing, Tampa, FL, November, 2006, pp.108.
- "SAGE :: APPLICATIONS," http://www.evl.uic.edu/cavern/sage/applications.php
- M. J. Levesque, K. Ichikawa, S. Date and J. H. Haga, "Design of a grid service-based platform for in silico protein-ligand screenings," Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, Vol.93, No.1, 2009, pp.73-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmpb.2008.07.005
- S. Kuwabara, K. Ichikawa, S. Date and S. Shimojo, "A Built-in Application Control Module for SAGE," Proceedings of 2007 IEEE Pacific Rim Conference on Communications, Computers and Signal Processing (PACRIM 2007), Victoria, Canada, August, 2007, pp.117-120.
- J. Smart, K. Hock and S. Csomor, Cross-Platform GUI Programming With wxWidgets, Prentice Hall PTR, 2005.
- "A free database for virtual screening ZINC," http://zinc.docking.org/
- R.A. Sayle and E. James Milner-White, "RASMOL: biomolecular graphics for all," Trends in Biochemical Sciences, Vol.20, No.9, 1995, pp.374-376. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0968-0004(00)89080-5
- "Distributed multi-head X project," http://dmx.sourceforge.net/
- G. Humphreys, M. Houston, R. Ng, R. Frank, S. Ahern, P. Kirchner and J. Klosowski, "Chromium: a stream-processing framework for interactive rendering on clusters," ACM Transactions on Graphics, Vol.21, No.3, 2002, pp.693-702.
- K.U. Doerr and F. Kuester, "CGLX: A Scalable, High-performance Visualization Framework for Networked Display Environments," IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, Vol.17, No.3, 2011, pp.320-332. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVCG.2010.59
- C. D. Lau, M. J. Levesque, S. Chien, S. Date and J. H. Haga, "ViewDock TDW: high-throughput visualization of virtual screening results," Bioinformatics, Vol.26, No.15, 2010, pp.1915-1917. https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/btq296
- "UCSF: Chimera," http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/chimera