- Volume 5 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Multicast Extension to Proxy Mobile IPv6 for Mobile Multicast Services
- Kim, Dae-Hyeok (Division of IT Convergence and Engineering, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH)) ;
- Lim, Wan-Seon (Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH)) ;
- Suh, Young-Joo (Division of IT Convergence and Engineering, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH))
- Received : 2011.06.30
- Accepted : 2011.08.26
- Published : 2011.12.30
Recently, Proxy Mobile IPv6 (PMIPv6) has received much attention as a mobility management protocol in next-generation all-IP mobile networks. While the current research related to PMIPv6 mainly focuses on providing efficient handovers for unicast-based applications, there has been relatively little interest in supporting multicast services with PMIPv6. To provide support for multicast services with PMIPv6, there are two alternative approaches called Mobile Access Gateway (MAG)-based subscription and Local Mobility Anchor (LMA)-based subscription. However, MAG-based subscription causes a large overhead for multicast joining and LMA-based subscription provides non-optimal multicast routing paths. The two approaches may also cause a high packet loss rate. In this paper, we propose an efficient PMIPv6-based multicast protocol that aims to provide an optimal delivery path for multicast data and to reduce handover delay and packet loss rate. Through simulation studies, we found that the proposed protocol outperforms existing multicast solutions for PMIPv6 in terms of end-to-end delay, service disruption period, and the number of lost packets during handovers.
Supported by : National Research Foundation (NRF), National IT Industry Promotion Agency (NIPA)
- D. Johnson, C. Perkins, and J. Arkko, Mobility Support in IPv6. IETF Standard Track, RFC 3775, Reston, VA: The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), The Internet Society, 2004.
- S. Gundavelli, K. Leung, V. Devarapalli, K. Chowdhury, and B. Patil, Proxy Mobile IPv6. IETF Standard Track, RFC 5213, Reston, VA: The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), The Internet Society, 2008.
- I. Romdhani, M. Kellil, L. Hong-Yon, A. Bouabdallah, and H. Bettahar, "IP mobile multicast: challenges and solutions," IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 18-41, 2004.
- T. G. Harrison, C. L. Williamson, W. L. Mackrell, and R. B. Bunt, "Mobile multicast (MoM) protocol: multicast support for mobile hosts," Proceedings of the 3rd annual ACM/IEEE international conference on Mobile computing and networking, Budapest, Hungary, 1997, pp. 151-160.
- Y. J. Suh, H. S. Shin, and D. H. Kwon, "An efficient multicast routing protocol in wireless mobile networks," Wireless Networks, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 443-453, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1016780525280
- C. R. Lin and K. M. Wang, "Mobile multicast support in IP networks," Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 2000: Nineteenth Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies, Tel Aviv, Israel, 2000, pp. 1664-1672.
- J. Park and Y. J. Suh, "A timer-based mobile multicast routing protocol in mobile networks," Computer Communications, vol. 26, no. 17, pp. 1965-1974, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-3664(03)00161-0
- Y. Li, W. Chen, L. Su, D. Jin, and L. Zeng, "Proxy mobile IPv6 based multicast listener mobility architecture," Proceedings of the IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, Budapest, Hungary, 2009, pp. 1-6.
- Y. T. Kim and S. J. Han, "Proxy mobile IP extension for mobile multimedia multicast services," Proceedings of the 6th IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference, Las Vegas, NV, 2009, pp. 1-5.
- H. Asaeda, P. Seite, and J. Xia, PMIPv6 Extensions for Multi-cast Internet-Draft (draft-asaeda-multimob-pmip6-extension-03), Reston, VA: The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), The Internet Society, 2010.
- IEEE Computer Society, IEEE Std 802.16e-2005 and IEEE Std 802.16-2004/Cor 1-2005 (Amendment and Corrigendum to IEEE Std 802.16-2004), IEEE Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks Part 16: Air Interface for Fixed and Mobile Broadband Wireless Access Systems Amendment 2: Physical and Medium Access Control Layers for Combined Fixed and Mobile Operation in Licensed Bands and Corrigendum 1, New York, NY: The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., 2006.
- IEEE Computer Society, IEEE Std 802.11k-2008 (Amendment to IEEE Std 802.11-2007), IEEE Standard for Information Technology Telecommunications and Information Exchange Between Systems Local and Metropolitan Area Networks Specific Requirements Part 11: Wireless Lan Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications Amendment 1: Radio Resource Measurement of Wireless Lans, New York, NY: The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., 2008.
- M. Liebsch, A. Singh, H. Chaskar, D. Funato, and E. Shim, Candidate Access Router Discovery (CARD). RFC 4066, Reston, VA: The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), The Internet Society, 2005.
- A New Multicasting Device-to-Device Communication Control Scheme for Virtualized Cellular Networks vol.2019, pp.1530-8677, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/3540674