- Volume 11 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Microstrip Square Open Loop Metamaterial Resonator and Rat Race Coupler for Low Phase Noise Push-Push VCO
- Choi, Jae-Won (Dept. of Electronic Engineering, Soongsil University) ;
- Seo, Chul-Hun (Dept. of Electronic Engineering, Soongsil University)
- Received : 2011.03.17
- Published : 2011.12.31
In this paper, a novel low phase noise voltage-controlled oscillator (VCO) using metamaterial structure and rat race coupler is presented for reducing the phase noise without the reduction of the frequency tuning range. The metamaterial structure has been realized by microstrip square open loop double split ring resonator (SRR). The rat race coupler shows slightly higher transmission compared to a Wilkinson combiner and is, therefore, used instead to improve the performances of VCO. By providing these unique modifications, the proposed push-push VCO has a phase noise of -126.30~-124.83 dBc/Hz at 100 kHz in the tuning range of 5.672~5.800 GHz.
Metamaterial Sructure;Push-Push VCO;Phase Noise;Microstrip Square Open Loop Double Split Ring Resonator (SRR);Frequency Tuning Range
- J. Choi, C. Seo, "Broadband and low phase noise VCO using tunable metamaterial transmission line based on varactor-loaded split-ring resonator," Korea-Japan MicroWave Conference, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 145-148, Nov. 2007.
- Z. G. Shi, S. Qiao, and K. S. Chen, "Ambiguity function of direct chaotic radar employing microwave chaotic Col-pitz oscillator," Prog. Elemagn., vol. res. 77, no. 1, pp. 1-14, Jan. 2007.
- F. X. Sinnesbichler, "Hybrid millimeter-wave pushpush oscillators using silicon-germanium HBTs," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 422-430, Feb. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2002.807836
- J. Choi, A. Mortazawi, "Design of push-push and triple-push oscillators for reducing 1/f noise upconversion," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., vol. 53, no. 11, pp. 3407-3414, Nov. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2005.858382
- F. Bilotti, A. Toscano, and L. Vegni, "Design of spiral and double split-ring resonators for the realization of miniaturized metamaterial samples," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 55, no. 8, pp. 2258- 2267, Aug. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2007.901950
- J. S. Hong, M. J. Lancaster, "Couplings of microstrip square open-loop resonators for crosscoupled planar microwave filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 2099-2109, Dec. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.543968
- J. Choi, D. Jung, and C. Seo, "Low phase noise pushpush VCO using microstrip square open loop resonator and tunable negative resistance," Proc. Asia- Pacific Microw. Conf., Dec. 2008.