- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Moderating Effect of Family Support on the Relationship between Parenting Stress on Depression of Immigrant Women
- Park, Ok-Im (Department of Social Welfare, Sunchon National University) ;
- Moon, Hee (Department of Nursing, Gwangyang Health College)
- Received : 2011.09.29
- Accepted : 2011.12.05
- Published : 2011.12.20
Purpose: The purpose of this research was to identify levels of parenting stress, depression and family support of immigrant women and to investigate the moderating effect of family support on the relationship between parenting stress and depression of immigrant women. Methods: The research was carried out with 86 immigrant women who were registered in multi-cultural support centers and receiving education in three cities South Jeolla Province. Data were collected using structured questionnaires and analyzed using descriptive statistics, correlation analysis and hierarchical regression analysis with SPSS/WIN 17.0. Results: The level of parenting stress perceived by the immigrant women was moderate and the level of depression was slightly high. The level of family support as perceived by the wives was slightly high as well. There was a positive correlation between depression and parenting stress but no correlation with family support. Effects of parenting stress on depression were moderated by family support. Conclusion: Results indicate that family support provided to immigrant women moderated effects of parenting stress on depression. Accordingly, as family support is critical to immigrant women, education and other programs need to be provided to promote understanding of family support as a help for immigrant women.
- Abidin, R. R. (1990). Parenting Stress Index: Professional Manual (3rd ed.). Odessa, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources.
- Ahn, O. S., & Oh, O. W. (2006). Relationship among postpartum depression, parenting stress and self-esteem in mothers during puerperium. Journal of the Korean Society of Maternal and Child Health, 10 (1), 58-68.
- Buultjens, M., & Liamputtong, P. (2007). When giving life starts to take the life out of you: womens experiences of depression after childbirth. Midwifery, 23 (1), 77-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.midw.2006.04.002
- Cho, B. H., & Yang, M. S. (2001). Relationship between postpartum depression and parenting stress of mother with infant. Research Institute of Science for Human Life, 5 (1), 79-87.
- Choi, Y. S. (2005). Relationship between maternal role adaptation and postpartum depression in early postpartum mothers. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 8 , 113-124.
- Cox, J., Holden, J., & Sagovsky, R. (1987). Detection of postnatal depression: Development of the 10-item edinburgh postnatal depression scale. British Journal of Medical Psychiatry, 150, 782-786. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.150.6.782
- Crnic, K. A., & Greenberg, M. T. (1990). Minor parenting stresses with young children. Child Development, 61 , 1628-1637. https://doi.org/10.2307/1130770
- Goh, E. J. (2009). Relevance of stress for cultural adaptation, domestic violence, social support, self-esteem and posttraumatic stress to psychological health of female migrants throught international marriage. Unpublished master's thesis, Chonnam National University, Gwangju.
- Jeon, J. A. (1990). The effect of postpartum stress and social network on postpartum depression. Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University, Seoul.
- Jeong, G. H., Koh, H. J., Kim, K. S., Kim, S. H., Park, H. S., Lee, Y. S., et al. (2009). A survey on health management of during pregnancy, childbirth, and the postpartum of immigrant women in a multi-cultural family. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 15 (4), 261-269. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.4.261
- Kim, D. H. (1998). A comparative study on the parenting stress between the mothers of normal children and those of low birth weight. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Kim, E. S. (2005). A study on stress coping methods of the mental disorder. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Kim, J. I. (2006). A validation study on the translated Korean version of the Edinburgh postnatal depression scale. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 12 (3), 204-209.
- Kim, J. Y., & Kim, J. K. (2008). Psycho-social predicting factors model of postpartum depression. Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 13 (1), 111-140.
- Kim, K. O. (2010). A Study on the influence factors to social integration of foreign wives. Unpublished master's thesis, Mokpo National University, Mokpo.
- Kim, H. S. (2008). International marriage migrant women in Korea. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 14 (4), 248-256. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2008.14.4.248
- Kim, O. N. (2007). Mental health of immigrant women in rural communities. Korean Journal of Family Welfare, 12 (3), 47-73.
- Koniak-Griffin, R., Logsdon, M. C., Hines-Martin, V., & Turner, C. C. (2006). Contemporary mothering in a diverse society. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, 35 (5), 671-678. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1552-6909.2006.00089.x
- Koo, C. S. (2007). Study on the interracially married female immigrant`s adaptation of multicultural family. Korean Journal of Family Social Work, 20 , 319-359.
- Kwon, M. K., Kim, H. W., Kim, N. S., & Jang, J. A. (2006). Postpartum depression and maternal role confidence, parenting stress, and infant temperament in mothers of young infants. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing, 12 (3), 314-321.
- Lim, H. S. (2009). The experience of transition in pregnancy and childbirth among the married immigrant women in Korea. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Lim, J. M. (2011). Impact of socio-psychological factors on depression in female marriage immigrants. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyungnam University. Changwon.
- Lim, S. J. (2010). The effect of the social support by spouse on postpartum depression. Unpublished master's thesis, Ajou University. Suwon.
- Nam, I. S., & Ahn, S. H. (2011). Comparison of stress, social support and marital satisfaction between married immigrant women in urban and rural areas. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 17 (2), 99-108. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.2.99
- Park, J. W. (1985). A study for the development of social support. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Seong, E. S. (2009). Intermarried immigrant women's acculturation. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul Women's University, Seoul.
- Statistics Korea(2010). Statistical data about marriage.
- Yang, O. K., & Kim, Y. S. (2007). A Study on the effects of depressiveness among foreign wives through marriage migration. Mental Health & Social Work, 26 , 79-110.