- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Self-esteem, Parent-adolescent Communication, Friend's Sexual Attitude and Sexual Permissiveness in College Students
대학생의 자아존중감, 부모-자녀간 의사소통, 친구집단 성태도와 성허용성
- Jang, Su-Hyun (College of Nursing, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Lee, Sung-Hee (College of Nursing, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2011.10.03
- Accepted : 2011.12.07
- Published : 2011.12.20
Purpose: This study was done to identify factors that affect sexual permissiveness in college students. Methods: A descriptive design was used with 380 college students who completed a questionnaire about self-esteem, parents-adolescent communication, friend's sexual attitude and sexual permissiveness. Results: The sexual permissiveness showed significant differences for the variable: grade (F=0.51, p=.002), gender (t=7.28, p<.001), age (F=14.72, p<.001), religion (t=4.97, p<.001), residence type (F=4.75, p=.009), number of call with parents (F=3.56, p=.030), number of viewing pornographic video (F=36.05, p<.001), number of viewing pornographic magazine (F= 47.90, p<.001), status of dating (t=3.62, p<.001), number of sexual intercourse (F=14.51, p<.001), and experience of sexual intercourse (t=13.00, p<.001). There was a positive correlation between the friend's sexual attitude and sexual permissiveness (r=.64, p<.001). The variables such as friend's sexual attitude, experience of sexual intercourse, the number of watching pornographic video, educational system, religion, and the number of calls with parent explained 52% of the variance in sexual permissiveness. Conclusion: The results of this study indicate that it is necessary to develop sexual education program for college students considering their level of sexual permissiveness and their friend's sexual attitude.
Supported by : 경북대학교
- Barnes, H. L., & Olson, D. H. (1982). Parent-adolescent communication scale. In D. H. Olson(Ed). Family inventories: Inventories used in a national survey of families across the family life cycle (pp. 33-48). St. Paul: Family Social Science, University of Minnesota.
- Chang, S. B., & Lee, M. K. (2003). A study on sexual autonomy of university students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 33 (3), 339-346. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.3.339
- Choi, J. Y. (2003). The effects of parents, peers, exposure to pornographic contents on the internet and sexual values on sexual behaviors among early teenagers. Unpublished master's thesis, Korea National University of Education, Chung-Buk.
- Choi, M. H., Kim, K. H., Kwon, H. J., & Kim, S. K. (2005). The study on sexual permissiveness, family function and parent-adolescent communication in adolescents. Journal of Korean Academy Child Health Nursing, 11 (1), 54-62.
- Choi, M. I. (2009). Determinants on the exposure to internet sexually explicit materials and adolescents' sexual attitudes. Korean Society for Journalism & Communication Studies, 53 (2), 49-70.
- Chung, M. K. (2004). Factor influencing sexual permissiveness in middle school girl. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Ethier, K. A., Kershaw, T. S., Lewis, J. B., Milan, S., Niccolai, L. M., & Ickovics, J. R. (2006). Self-esteem, emotional distress and sexual behavior among adolescent females: Interrelationships and temporal effects. Journal of Adolescent Health, 38 (3), 268-274. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2004.12.010
- Han, Y. J. (1998). Influence factors to self-esteem of teenage and twenties unmarried mothers. Unpublished master's thesis, Ehwa Women's University, Seoul.
- Ho, S. M. (2009). Sexual knowledge, attitude and sexual behavior of the university students. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Jeoung, M. J., Park, H. S., Lee, J. S., & Park, C. A. (1995). Premarital sexual attitudes and behavior among the youth. Journal of Korean Home Economics Association, 33 (6), 11-23.
- Jon, B. J. (1974). Self-esteem: A test of its measurability. Yonseinonchong, 11 (1), 107-130.
- Kelly, J. (1978). Sexual permissiveness; Evidence for a theory. Journal of the Marriage and the Family, 40 , 455-468. https://doi.org/10.2307/350927
- Kim, H. K., & Heo, E, J. (2003). A study on the relationship between the psychological maturity variables and sexual attitude in university student. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 10 (4), 403-422.
- Kim, J. H., & Kim, K. S. (2008). The effects of college student's sexual knowledge and sexual attitude on their sexual behavior. Korean Journal of Family Welfare, 13 (1), 123-138.
- Kim, J. H., Song, E. I., & Kang, S. H. (2003). A study sexual attitudes, sexual behaviors and parents-children relationships among college students in Korea. Journal of Korean Home Economics Association, 41 (1), 111-124.
- Kim, J. S. (2005). A study about the factor affecting the sexual permissiveness of male students of middle schools. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Kim, J. Y. (2005). The analysis of sexual attitude and behavior of the university student by communication style. Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Kim, Y. H., & Shin, H. S. (1990). The comparative study on the parent-adolescent communication between the model student family and the delinquent adolescent family. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 29 (5), 69-83.
- Kim. M. Y. (2002). A study about adolescent' self-esteem and sexual behavior. Unpublished master's thesis, Soongsil University, Seoul.
- Ko, Y, S. (2001). A study on male and female university students's sexual attitude and sexual behavior. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Women's University, Seoul.
- Korean Women Development Institute. (1984). A Study on the unmarried mother with special reference to the analysis of factors relating her occurrence and welfare measures. Korean Women Development Institute.
- Lee, J. Y., Ha, S. H., & Chung, H. Y. (2005). The relationships of individual psychological characteristics, sexual attitudes and sexual behaviors among college student. Journal of Korean Association of Family Relations, 10 (3), 149-172.
- Park, H. S., Lee, S. J., Park, C. A., & Jeoung, M. J. (1995). Premarital sexual attitudes and behavior among the youth. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 33 (6), 11-23.
- Park, S. Y. (2002). A study on sexual consciousness and sexual behavior of the university students. Unpublished master's thesis, Dong-A University, Pusan.
- Reiss, I. L. (1967). The social context of premarital sexual permissiveness. New York: Helt, Rinehart & Winston.
- Rosenberg, M. (1965). Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Song, H. S. (2006). A study of college students in relationship among sexuality, self-assertiveness, and self-esteem. Unpublished master's thesis, Gyeong-Sang University, Jinju.
- Sprecher, S., Mckinney, K., Walsh, R., & Anderson, C. (1988). A revision of the Reiss premarital sexual permissiveness scale. Journal of Marriage Family, 50 , 821-828. https://doi.org/10.2307/352650
- White, S. D., & DeBlassie, R. R. (1992). Adolescent sexual behavior. Adolescence, 27 (105), 183-191.
- Whitebeck, L. B., Yoder, K. A., Hoyt, D. R., & Conger, R. D. (1999). Early adolescent sexual activity: A development study. Journal of Marriage and Family, 61 (4), 934-947. https://doi.org/10.2307/354014
- Yang, S. J. (2010). A study on the adolescents' exposure to internet-oriented sexually explicit materials and permissiveness attitudes. Journal of Youth Culture Forum, 32 , 126-152.
- Yi, C. Y. (2001). A study on the relationship between their selfesteem, sexual awareness, and interpersonal relations by university students. Unpublished master's thesis, Kangwon National University. Chuncheon.
- Yoon, K. J. (2002). The risk factors associated with adolescent female's sexual behavior. Journal of Korean Home Economics Association, 40 (8), 107-121.