- Volume 6 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Implementation of an Inductively Coupled EM Probe System for PD Diagnosis
- Kim, Hee-Dong (Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO) Research Institute) ;
- Park, Noh-Joon (Department of Electrical and Information Communication Engineering, Wonkwang University) ;
- Park, Dae-Hee (Department of Electrical and Information Communication Engineering, Wonkwang University)
- Received : 2010.01.15
- Accepted : 2010.10.13
- Published : 2011.01.01
In recent years, various types of partial discharge (PD) methods such as capacitive, inductive, electromagnetic, and acoustic coupling techniques have been developed for diagnosing rotating machines. An electromagnetic (EM) probe, which is an inductively coupled type of sensor, is required for detecting corona and internal discharges during off-line tests. In this study, a new technique for enhancing the measurement sensitivities for corona and internal discharge based on an EM inductive position sensor is proposed. An EM probe that winds wires around horseshoe-shaped and cylindershaped ferrites as helices is designed and optimized for the implementation of off-line PD monitoring of the stator winding of a rotating machine. The measurement system based on this design is implemented, and it is verified from the results of the experiment performed in this study that the probe provides similar performance as existing commercial products.
Partial discharge (PD);Electromagnetic (EM) probe;Mn-ferrite;Stator winding;rotating machine;Cable joint;Inductively coupled sensor;Corona discharge;Internal discharge
- IEC 60270, "High-voltage test techniques–Partial discharge measurements", pp. 25-37, 2000.
- IEEE Std 1434-2000, "IEEE Trail-Use Guide to the Measurement of PD in Rotating Machinery", pp. 2-29, 2000.
- N.H. Ahmed, N.N. Srinivas, "Online Partial discharge detection in cables," IEEE Trans. on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 181-188. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/94.671927
- N. De Kock, B. Coric, R. Pietsch, "UHF PD detection in GIS-suitability and sensitivity of the UHF method in comparison with the IEC 270 method," IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 20-26, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/57.546277
- M. Kawada, "Ultra Wide Band VHF/UHF Radio Interferometer System for Detecting Partial Discharge Source," IEEE Power Engineering Society Winter Meeting, Vol. 2, pp. 1482-1487, 2002.
- N. C. Sahoo, M. M. A. Salama, and R.Bartnikas, "Trends in partial discharge pattern classification : A Survey", IEEE Trans. on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp.248-264, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2005.1430395
- Denissov, Ruben Grund, Thomas Klein, Wolfgang, Stefan Tenbohlen, "UHF Partial Discharge Diagnosis of Plug-In Cable Terminations," Jicable, 2007.