- Volume 6 Issue 1
This paper presents a novel bearingless switched reluctance motor (BLSRM) with decoupled torque and suspending stator poles. BLSRM is different from conventional bearingless switched reluctance motors (SRMs) because its suspending poles are separated from the torque poles. Perpendicularly placed suspending poles are designed to produce a continuous radial force to suspend the rotor. Due to the independent suspending and torque poles, BLSRM produces a suspending force with excellent linearity according to the rotor position and independent characteristics of the torque current. The air-gap is easier to control than in conventional SRMs with their linear and independent characteristics. Furthermore, to verify the proposed structure, a mathematical model for the suspending force is derived. Finite element analysis is also employed to compare BLSRM and conventional SRMs expressions of suspending force. A prototype motoris designed and manufactured to verify the effectiveness of the proposed bearingless structure.
SRM;Bearingless structure;Hybrid stator;FEM analysis;Suspending force;Separated poles
- P. J. Lawrenson, J. M. Stephenson, T. T. Blenkinsop, J. Corda, and N. N. Fulton, "Variable-speed reluctance motors," in Proc. IEEE, Pt. B, Vol. 127, No. 4, July 1980, pp.253-265.
- N.R. Garrigan, W. L. Soong, C. M. Stephens, A. Storacc, and T. A. Lipo, "Radial force characteristics of a switched reluctance machine," in Proc. IEEE IAS Annu. Meeting, 1999, Vol.4, pp.2250-2258.
- I. Husain, A. Radun, and J. Nairus, "Unbalanced force calculation in switched reluctance machines," IEEE Trans, Magn., Vol.36, No.1, pp.330-338. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.822543
- M. Takemoto, A. Chiba, H. Akagi, and T. Fukao, "Radial Force and Torque of a Bearingless Switched Reluctance Motor Operating in a Region of Magnetic Saturation" in Conf. Record IEEE-IAS Annual Meeting, 2002, pp. 35-42.
- M. Takemoto, K. Shimada, A. Chiba, and T. Fukao, "A Design and Characteristics of Switched Reluctance Type Bearingless Motors", in Proc. 4th Int. Symp. Magnetic Suspension Technology, Vol. NASA/CP-1998-207654, May 1998, pp. 49-63.
- Li Chen, Wilfried Hofmann, "Analytically Computing Winding Currents to Generate Torque and Levitation Force of a New Bearingless Switched Reluctance Motor", in Proc.12th EPE-PEMC, Aug, 2006, pp. 1058-1063.
- Carlos R. Morrison. Bearingless Switched Reluctance Motor. U.S. Patent x, 2004.
- A. V. Radum, "Design considerations for the switched reluctance motor," IEEE Trans. Ind. Applicat., Vol. 31, pp.1079-1087, Sep./Oct. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.464522
- M. N. Anwar, Iqbal Husain, and A. V. Radun, "A comprehensive design methodology for switched reluctance machines," IEEE Trans. IAS, Vol. 37, pp. 1684-1692, Nov/Dec, 2001.
- Design and Operation Characteristics of a Novel Switched Reluctance Motor With a Segmental Rotor vol.52, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2016.2519858
- Design and Operation Characteristics of Four-Two Pole High-Speed SRM for Torque Ripple Reduction vol.60, pp.9, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2208432
- Comparative Analysis of Bearingless Switched Reluctance Motors With Decoupled Suspending Force Control vol.51, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2014.2331422
- Characteristics Analysis of Segmental Rotor Type 3-Phase SRMs vol.21, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6113/TKPE.2016.21.1.1
- Design and Analysis of Novel 12/14 Hybrid Pole Type Bearingless Switched Reluctance Motor with Short Flux Path vol.7, pp.5, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2012.7.5.705
- Drive Characteristics of Outer-rotor Type SRM Considering Dual Operating Modes vol.63, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2014.63.7.903
- A Novel Technique for Controlling Speed and Position of Bearingless Switched Reluctance Motor Employing Sensorless Sliding Mode Observer 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-017-3027-8
- Improved Radial Force Modeling and Rotor Suspension Dynamics Simulation Studies for Double-winding Bearingless Switched Reluctance Motor vol.45, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/15325008.2016.1236852
- Variable speed operation of SRM with dual rating using proper voltage excitation vol.40, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2016.40.4.348
- Design and Analysis of a Segmental Rotor Type 12/8 Switched Reluctance Motor vol.14, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.5.866
- Prototype of 6-DOF Magnetically Levitated Stage Based on Single Axis Lorentz force Actuator vol.11, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2016.11.5.1216
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)