- Volume 6 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Introduction of Generator Unit Controller and Its Tuning for Automatic Generation Control in Korean Energy Management System (K-EMS)
- Park, Min-Su (Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Hongik University) ;
- Chun, Yeong-Han (Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Hongik University)
- Received : 2010.10.11
- Accepted : 2010.12.13
- Published : 2011.01.01
Automatic generation control (AGC) is an important function for load frequency control, which is being implemented in Energy Management System (EMS). A key feature of AGC is to back up governors to enhance the performance of frequency control. The governor regulates system frequency in several to ten seconds, while the droop control concept results in steady-state control error. AGC is a supplementary tool for compensation of the steady-state error caused by the droop setting of the governors. As the AGC target is delivered to each generator as an open loop control target, the generator output is not guaranteed to follow the AGC target. In this paper, we introduce generating unit controller (GUC) control block, which has the purpose of enabling the generator output to track the AGC target while maintaining the governor performance. We also address the tuning methods of GUC for better performance of AGC in the Korea Energy Management System (K-EMS).
Supported by : Hongik University
- N. Jaleeli, Donald N. Ewart, et al, "Understanding Automatic Generation Control," Transactions on Power Systems, Vol 7, No. 3, pp 1106-1122, August 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.207324
- "IEEE Recommended Definitions of Terms for Automatic Generation Control on Electric Power Systems", IEEE Std 94-1991 pp 5.
- S. Velusami, S. Ganapathy, "Decentralized Load-Frequency Control of Interconnected Power Systems with SMES Units and Governor Dead Band using Multi-Objective Evolutionary Algorithm," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 443-450 December 2009. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2009.4.4.443
- Z. Y. Dong, J. J. Ford, G. Ledwich, H. Bevrani "On Power System Frequency Control in Emergency Conditions," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 499-508, december. 2008. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2008.3.4.499
- Jian Wu, Yong Cheng, Schulz, N.N., "Overview of Real-Time Database Management System Design for Power System SCADA System", Southeast Con, 2006. Proceedings of the IEEE, pp 62-66, April 2006.
- Charles L. Phillips, H. Troy Nagle, Digital Control System Analysis and Design, Prentie-Hall, Inc 1984 p.225-226.
- John J. Grainger, William D. Stevenson, Jr., Power System Analysis, McGraw-Hill, Inc. 1994.m.
- "IEEE Recommended Definitions of Terms for Automatic Generation Control on Electric Power Systems", IEEE Std 94-1991 pp 7-10.
- Korean Energy Management System Technical Specification, KPX, 2006.
- Norman S. Nise, Control Systems Engineering, 4th ed., A John Wiley & Sons, pp. 503-546.
- P.M.Anderson & A.A Fouad. Power System Control and Stability, 2nd ed., A John Wiley & Sons, pp. 14, 99, 132, 222-225.
- Norman S. Nise, Control System Engineering, 4th ed., A John Wiley & Sons, pp. 188-190.