- Volume 6 Issue 1
This paper presents a new method of Fuzzy Particle Swarm Optimization (FPSO)-based Congestion Management (CM) by optimal rescheduling of active powers of generators. In the proposed method, generators are selected based on their sensitivity to the congested line for efficient utilization. The task of optimally rescheduling the active powers of the participating generators to reduce congestion in the transmission line is attempted by FPSO, Fitness Distance Ratio PSO (FDR-PSO), and conventional PSO. The FPSO and FDR-PSO algorithms are tested on the IEEE 30-bus and Practical Indian 75-bus systems, after which the results are compared with conventional PSO to determine the effectiveness of CM. Compared with FDR-PSO and PSO, FPSO can better perform the optimal rescheduling of generators to relieve congestion in the transmission line.
Congestion Management;Generator Sensitivity;PSO;FPSO;FDR-PSO
- Richard D Christie, Bruce F Wollenberg, Ivar Wangensteen, "Transmission Management in the Deregulated Environment", in Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 88, No. 2, pp. 170--194, February 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/5.823997
- D M Vinod Kumar and Ch Venkaiah, "Swarm Intelligence based Security Constrained Congestion Management using SSSC", in Proceedings of Asia Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference 2009, March 28--31, 2009.
- Sudipta Dutta, S P Singh, "Optimal Rescheduling of Generators for Congestion Management Based on Particle Swarm Optimization", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 1560--1569, November 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2008.922647
- R S Fang, A K David, "Transmission Congestion Management in an Electricity Market", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 877--883, August 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.780898
- K L Lo, Y S Yuen, L A Snider, "Congestion Management in Deregulated Electricity Markets", in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Electric Utility Deregulation and Restructuring and Power Technologies 2000, City University, London, pp. 47--52, April 4--7, 2000.
- Ashwani Kumar, S C Srivastava, S N Singh, "Congestion Management in Competitive Power Market: A Bibliographical survey", Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 76, pp. 153--164, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2005.05.001
- Ashwani Kumar, S C Srivastava, S N Singh, "A Zonal Congestion Management Approach Using Real and Reactive Power Rescheduling", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 554--562, February 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2003.821448
- H Y Yamina, S M Shahidehpour, "Congestion Management Coordination in the deregulated power market", Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 65, pp. 119--127, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7796(02)00228-6
- Florin Capitanescu, Thierry Van Cutsem, "A Unified Management of Congestions due to voltage instability and thermal overload", Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 77, pp. 1274--1283, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2006.09.015
- Jian Fu, John W Lamont, "A Combined Framework for Service Identification and Congestion Management", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 56--61, February 2001.
- James Kennedy, Russell Eberhart, "Particle Swarm Optimization", in IEEE Proceedings, pp. 1942--1948, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICNN.1995.488968
- Yuhui Shi, "Particle Swarm Optimization", in Proceedings of IEEE Neural Networks Society, pp. 8--13, February 2004.
- Yamille del Valle, Ganesh Kumar Venayagamoorthy, Salman Mohagheghi, Jean-Carlos Hernandez, Ronald G Harley, "Particle Swarm Optimization: Basic Concepts, Variants and Applications in Power Systems", IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 171--195, April 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEVC.2007.896686
- Zhi xu Chen, Li zi Zhang, Jun Shu, "Congestion Management Based on Particle Swarm Optimization", in Proceedings of IEEE, The 7th International Power Engineering Conference 2005, Vol. 2, pp. 1019--1023, Nov. 29 2005–Dec. 2 2005.
- Jagabondhu Hazra, Avinash K Sinha, "Congestion Management Using Multiobjective Particle Swarm Optimization", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 1726–1734, November 2007.
- D N Jeyakumar, T Jayabarathi, T Raghunathan, "Particle Swarm Optimization for various types of economic dispatch problems", Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 28, pp. 36--42, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2005.09.004
- Zwe-Lee Gaing, "Particle Swarm Optimization to Solving the Economic Dispatch Considering the Generator Constraints", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 18, No.3, pp. 1187--2123, August 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2003.814889
- Thanmaya Peram, Kalyan Veeramachaneni, Chilukuri K Mohan, "Fitness-Distance-Ratio Based Particle Swarm Optimization", in Proceedings of Swarm Intelligence Symposium 2003, pp. 174--181, 2003.
- R Gnanadass, Venkataramana Ajjarapu, "Assessment of Dynamic Available Transfer Capability using FDR PSO Algorithm", ELEKTRIKA, Vol.10, No.1, pp. 20--25, 2008.
- Yuhui Shi, Russell C. Eberhart, "Fuzzy Adaptive Particle Swarm Optimization", in Proceedings of the 2001 Congress on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 101--106, 2001.
- A Y Saber, T Senjyu, A Yona and T Funabashi, "Unit Commitment computation by fuzzy adaptive particle swarm optimization", IET Transactions on Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Vol.1, No. 3, pp. 456--465, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd:20060252
- I Jacob Raglend and Narayana Prasad Padhy, "Solutions to Practical Unit Commitment Problems with Operational Power Flow and Environmental Constraints", in Proceedings of IEEE, pp. 1--6, 2006.
- Fuzzy harmony search algorithm based optimal power flow for power system security enhancement vol.78, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2015.11.053
- Static security enhancement using fuzzy particle swarm optimization vol.35, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1108/COMPEL-12-2014-0334
- A Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm With Novel Expected Fitness Evaluation for Robust Optimization Problems vol.48, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2011.2173753