- Volume 5 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Success Factors and Marketing Strategies of Bumrungrad Hospital
태국 범룽랏 병원(Bumrungrad Hospital)의 성공요인과 마케팅 전략
- Jang, Won (Center for Healthcare Strategic Management, Inje University) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Ah (Center for Healthcare Strategic Management, Inje University) ;
- Lee, Key-Hyo (Graduate School of Public Health, Inje University)
- Received : 2011.06.20
- Accepted : 2011.06.28
- Published : 2011.06.30
The purpose of this study is to analyze and find out key success factors and marketing strategies of Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok, Thailand. The major success factors of Bumrungrad Hospital are as follows; First, Bumrungrad Hospital had professional medical team and board of directors who had the international career. Second, Bumrungrad was supported by Thai government and they were in a cooperative relationship with each other for the development of the medical industry. Third, Bumrungrad appropriately handled the internal and external changes including Asia Financial Crises in 1997 and others. Fourth, Bumrungrad diversified and broaden its business field such as global medical investing and management, medical technology, anti-age medicine and wellness. Marketing strategies of Bumrungrad analyzed are the following four factors. First, Bumrungrad focused on the quality of services by employing professional medical staffs, who have the international certification, and by constructing IT system for hospital management. Second, Bumrungrad has maintained an equalized price policy to attract the customers bothin the domestic and foreign markets. The cost for care has appealed the foreign customers for its comparatively low price, but it focused mainly on the upper middle class in Thailand. Third, it established, managed, and consulted hospitals in the foreign countries including the Philippines and the Arab Emirates. Fourth, it adopted differentiated promotion strategies suitable for the special needs of domestic and foreign customers, and put emphasis on the buzz marketing.
- 김기홍(2010), 신성장 동력 서비스 산업으로써 우리나라 국제의료관광산업의 고도화 방안에 관한 연구, e-비즈니스연구, Vol.11(2);189-208.
- 원종하, 김민숙(2011), 의료관광론, 한올출판사.
- 윤형호, 이의영(2008), 의료관광을 통한 시장확대 방안에 관한 연구: 서울시 성형외과.피부과를 중심으로, 기업경영연구, Vol.15(1);173-188.
- Bumrungrad International(2011), http://www.bumrungrad.com/overseas-medical-care/about-us/factsheet.aspx.
- 정재완, 홍수연(2006), 태국의 의료서비스 허브추진 동향과 시사점, 대외경제정책연구원.
- 서수연(2009), 국내의료기관의 해외환자 유치 현황 및 의료관광상품 개발에 대한 인식도 조사, 인제대학교 보건대학원 석사학위논문.
- Prashanth K.(2003), Bumrungrad's Global Services Marketing Strategy, ICFAI Center for Management Research.
- The Government Public Relations Department (2004), Developing Thailand as a Medical Hub of Asia, http://thailand.prd.go.th/view_inside.php?id=89.
- Thailand Board of Investment(2009), Thailand: The Medical Hub of Asia, http://www.boi.go.th/english/why/Medical_Hub_2009.pdf.
- Knowledge @ Wharton(2009), Bangkok's Bumrungrad Hospital: Expanding the Footprint of Offshore Health Care, http://knowledge. wharton.upenn.edu/article.cfm?articleid=2327.
- Scribe Media(2008), Medical Tourism- Curtis Schroeder CEO, Filmed Interview, http://health.scribemedia.org.
- Bumrungrad International(2010), Annual Report 2010, http://bh.listedcompany.com/misc/ar/Annual_Report_2010_en.pdf.
- Bumrungrad Hospital Public Company Limited(2011), http://bh.listedcompany.com/misc/Analyst%20Mtg%201-2011-Final.pdf.
- 한태상공회의소(2009), 태국 의료관광산업 현황.
- Bumrungrad International(2009), Annual Report 2009, http://bh.listedcompany.com/misc/ar/Annual_Report_2009_en.pdf.
- Wikipedia(2011), Bumrungrad International Hospital, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bumrungrad_International_Hospital.
- Kher U.(2006), Outsourcing your heart. Time Magazine, http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1196429-2,00.html
- Jiang B., Koller T.M., & Williams Z.D.(2008), Mapping decline and recovery across sectors. McKenzy on Finance, pp.21-25.
- Porter M.E.(1998), Competitive advantage of nations. Glencoe: Free Press.
- Dunn P.(2007), Medical tourism takes flight. H&HN magazine, pp.40-44.
- Marlowe J. & Sullivan P.(2007), Medical tourism: The ultimate outsourcing. Human Resource Planning. Vol.30(2);8-10.
- Research of Awareness of the People in Charge of Medical Tour Regarding the Qualifying Examination of International Medical Tour Coordinator vol.8, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2014.8.3.063