- Volume 45 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
An Analysis of Relationship Between Self-Cognition Level of Information Literacy and Library Anxiety
정보활용능력 인지 수준과 도서관 불안 간의 관계 분석
- 오의경 (건국대학교 문헌정보학과)
- Received : 2011.10.25
- Accepted : 2011.11.17
- Published : 2011.11.30
The study analyzed the relationship between self-cognition level of information literacy(SCLIL) and library anxiety(LA). SCLIL was 3.72 point, LA was 2.47 point, and these results are similar to previous studies. SCLIL and LA are correlated each other significantly(r=r=-0.493, p<0.05). Higher SCLIL leads to lower LA. Also, the study found the main factors of LA was lack of methods to access information', 'lack of confidence in evaluating the information's relevance.' For those who are going to major in Library and Information Science, it is found that they have less LA and lower SCLIL compared to those who are not willing to major in Library and Information Science, and this shows a tendency to downplay their own abilities, while tending a more positive image of libraries. Based on the results, recommendations were made to use social and psychological standard tests in order to elaborately and diversely reflect individual information user's psychological aspect.
- 권나현. 2005. 디지털 도서관에서의 도서관 불안과 측정도구 분석. 한국문헌정보학회지, 38(2): 29-47.(Kwon, Na-Hyun. 2005. "Library anxiety and library anxiety scale in the digital library environment." Journal of the Korean Society for Library and Information Science, 38(2): 29-47.) https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2004.38.2.029
- 남태우, 황옥경. 2005. 도서관 불안 이론의 고찰. 정보관리학회지, 22(3): 71-84.(Nam, Tae-Woo, & Hwang, Ok-Gyung. 2005. "A study on the library anxiety." Journal of the Korean Society for Information Management, 22(3): 71-84.) https://doi.org/10.3743/KOSIM.2005.22.3.071
- 남태우, 박현영. 2006. 우리나라 대학생들의 도서관 불안에 관한 연구. 한국도서관.정보학회지, 37(1): 151-168.(Nam, Tae-Woo, & Park, Hyun-Young. 2006. "A study on library anxiety of domestic undergraduate students." Journal of Korean Library and Information Science Society, 37(1): 151-168.)
- 박주범, 정동열. 2010. 디지털도서관 불안척도개발에 관한 연구. 한국문헌정보학회지, 44(4): 353-371.(Park, Joo-Bum, & Jeong, Dong-Youl. 2010. "A study on the development of digital library anxiety scale." Journal of the Korean Society for Library and Information Science, 44(4): 353-371.) https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2010.44.4.353
- 오의경. 2005. 대학생의 정보리터러시에 영향을 미치는 요인 분석. 박사학위논문, 상명대학교 대학원.(Oh, Eui-Kyung. 2005. Information Literacy: Identification of Factors Affecting to Undergraduate Students. Ph.D. diss., Sang-Myung University.)
- 장혜란, 오의경. 2006. 대학도서관 이용자의 도서관 불안 측정과 분석. 정보관리학회지, 23(3): 205-221.(Chang, Hye-Rhan, & Oh, Eui-Kyung. 2006. "Measurement and analysis of the library anixiety among academic library users." Journal of the Korean Society for Information Management, 23(3): 205-221.) https://doi.org/10.3743/KOSIM.2006.23.3.205
- Association of College and Research Libraries. 2000. Information Literacy Competency Standards for Higher Education. Chicago: ACRL.
- Bostick, S. L. 1992. The Development and Validation of the Library Anxiety Scale. Ph.D. diss., Wayne State University.
- Brannan, Joyce A. 2003. A Study of Library Anxiety in History and Physical Education Majors. M.A. thesis, University of Southern Mississippi.
- Cleveland, Alison. 2004. "Library anxiety: A decade of empirical research." Library Review, 53(3): 177-185. https://doi.org/10.1108/00242530410526583
- Doyle, C. S. 1992. Development of a Model of Information Literacy Outcome Measures within Nation Education Goals of 1990. Ph.D. diss., Northern Arizona University.
- Jiao, Q. G., Onwuegbuzie, Anthony J., & Lichtenstein, A. 1996. "Library anxiety: Characteristics of 'at-risk' college students." Library and Information Science Research, 18(2): 151-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0740-8188(96)90017-1
- Jiao, Q. G., Onwuegbuzie, Anthony J., & Daley, Christine E. 1997. Factors Associated with Library Anxiety. ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED 416 895.
- Jiao, Q. G., & Onwuegbuzie, Anthony J. 1997b. "Antecedents of library anxiety." The Library Quarterly, 67(4): 372-389. https://doi.org/10.1086/629972
- Jiao, Q. G., & Onwuegbuzie, Anthony J. 1998. "Perfectionism and library anxiety among graduate students." Journal of Academic Librarianship, 24(5): 365-371. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0099-1333(98)90073-8
- Jiao, Q. G., & Onwuegbuzie, Anthony J. 1999a. "Self-perception and library anxiety: An empirical study." Library Review 48(3): 140-147. https://doi.org/10.1108/00242539910270312
- Jiao, Q. G., & Onwuegbuzie, Anthony J. 2001. The Relationship Between Library Anxiety and Social Interdependence. ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED 462 079.
- Jiao, Q. G., & Onwuegbuzie, Anthony J. 2002. "Dimensions of library anxiety and social interdependence: Implications for library services." Library Review, 51(2): 71-78. https://doi.org/10.1108/00242530210418837
- Jiao, Q. G., & Onwuegbuzie, Anthony J. 2002. Anxiety Expectation Mediation Model of Library Anxiety. ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED 478 613.
- Jiao, Q. G., & Onwuegbuzie, Anthony J. 2004. "The impact of information technology on library anxiety: The role of computer attitudes." Information Technology and Libraries, 23(4): 138-144.
- Kurbanoglu, S. S. 2003. "Self-Efficacy: A concept closely linked to information literacy and lifelong learning." Journal of Documentation, 59(6): 635-646. https://doi.org/10.1108/00220410310506295
- Maughan, P. D. 2001. "Assessing information literacy among undergraduates: A discussion of the literature and the university of California-Berkeley assessment experience." College and Research Libraries, 62(1): 71-85. https://doi.org/10.5860/crl.62.1.71
- Mellon, C. A. 1986. "Library anxiety: A grounded theory and its development." College and Research Libraries, 47(2): 160-165. https://doi.org/10.5860/crl_47_02_160
- Neely, T. Y. 2000. Aspects of Information Literacy: A Sociological and Psychological Study. Ph.D. diss., University of Pittsburgh.
- Onwuegbuzie, Anthony J., & Jiao, Qun G. 1998a. "Understanding library-anxious graduates students." Library Review, 47(3-4): 217-224. https://doi.org/10.1108/00242539810212812
- Onwuegbuzie, Anthony J., & Jiao, Qun G. 2000. "I'll go to the library tomorrow: The role of procrastination in library anxiety." College and Research Libraries, 61(1): 45-54. https://doi.org/10.5860/crl.61.1.45
- Onwuegbuzie, Anthony J., & Jiao, Qun G. 2004. "Information search performance and research achievement: An empirical test of the anxiety expectation mediation model of library anxiety." Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 55(1): 41-54. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.10342
- Soham, S., and Mizrachi, Diane. 2001. "Library anxiety among undergraduates: A study of Israeli E. Ed. students." Journal of Academic Librarianship, 27: 305-311. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0099-1333(01)00216-6
- Van Kampen, Doris J. 2003. Library Anxiety, the Information Search Process and Doctoral Use of the Library. Ed. diss., University of Central Florida.
- Van Kampen, Doris J. 2004. "Development and validation of the multidimensional library anxiety scale." College & Research Libraries, 65(1): 28-34. https://doi.org/10.5860/crl.65.1.28
- Van Scoyoc, Anna M. 2003. "Reducing library anxiety in first-year students." Reference and User Services Quarterly, 42(4): 329-341.