- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Corrective Control of Asynchronous Sequential Circuits with Faults from Total Ionizing Dose Effects in Space
총이온화선량에 의한 고장이 존재하는 비동기 순차 회로의 교정 제어
- Received : 2011.08.20
- Accepted : 2011.09.25
- Published : 2011.11.01
This paper presents a control theoretic approach to realizing fault tolerance in asynchronous sequential circuits. The considered asynchronous circuit is assumed to work in space environment and is subject to faults caused by total ionizing dose (TID) effects. In our setting, TID effects cause permanent changes in state transition characteristics of the asynchronous circuit. Under a certain condition of reachability redundancy, it is possible to design a corrective controller so that the closed-loop system can maintain the normal behavior despite occurrences of TID faults. As a case study, the proposed control scheme is applied to an asynchronous arbiter implemented in FPGA.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- H. L. Hughes and J. M. Benedetto, "Radiation effects and hardening of MOS technology: devices and circuits," IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 500-521, Jun. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNS.2003.812928
- E. O. Mikkola, B. Vermeire, H. G. Parks, and R. Graves, "VHDL-AMS modeling of total ionizing dose radiation effects on CMOS mixed signal circuits," IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 929-934, Aug. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNS.2007.903185
- J. Sparsø and S. Furber, Principles of Asynchronous Circuit design - A Systems Perspective, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2001.
- P. Golani, G. D. Dimou, M. Prakash, and P. A. Beerel, "Design of a high-speed asynchronous turbo decoder," Proc. of 13th IEEE International Symposium on Asynchronous Circuits and Systems (ASYNC'07), pp. 49-59, 2007.
- T. E. Murphy, X. Geng, and J. Hammer, "On the control of asynchronous machines with races," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 1073-1081, Jun. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2003.812814
- N. Venkatraman and J. Hammer, "On the control of asynchronous sequential machines with infinite cycles," International Journal of Control, vol. 79, no. 7, pp. 764-785, Jul. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207170600665022
- J. Peng and J. Hammer, "Input/output control of asynchronous sequential machines with races," International Journal of Control, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 124-144, Jan. 2010.
- J.-M. Yang and S. W. Kwak, "State feedback control of asynchronous sequential machines with uncontrollable inputs: application to error counters," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 967-973, Mar. 2009. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2009.15.10.967
- J.-M. Yang and S. W. Kwak, "Model matching for asynchronous sequential machines with adversarial inputs using state bursts," International Journal of Control, Automation, and Systems, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 985-993, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12555-010-0507-y
- J.-M. Yang and S. W. Kwak, "Realizing fault-tolerant asynchronous sequential machines using corrective control," IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1457-1463, Nov. 2010.
- Z. Kohavi, Switching and Finite Automata Theory, 2nd ed., New York: McGraw-Hill, 1978.
- M. Valencia, M. J. Bellido, J. L. Huertas, A. J. Acosta, and S. Sanchez-Solano, "Modular asynchronous arbiter insensitive to metastability," IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 1456-1461, Dec. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/12.477251
- N. Hasasneh, I. Bell, and C. Jesshope, "Asynchronous arbiter for micro-threaded chip multiprocessors," Journal of Systems Architecture, vol. 53, no. 5-6, pp. 253-262, May-Jun. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sysarc.2006.10.004
- E. S. Shin, V. J. Mooney III, and G. F. Riley, "Round-robin arbiter design and generation," in Proceedings of the 15th international symposium on System Synthesis (ISSS'02), pp. 243-248, 2002.
- A New Hardening Technique Against Radiation Faults in Asynchronous Digital Circuits Using Double Modular Redundancy vol.20, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2014.14.0006