- Volume 32 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Comparative Interactivity Analysis in Multiview Video Coding Schemes
- Yang, You (Broadband Network and Multimedia Laboratory, Department of Automation, Tsinghua University) ;
- Dai, Qionghai (Broadband Network and Multimedia Laboratory, Department of Automation, Tsinghua University) ;
- Jiang, Gangyi (Faculty of Information Science and Engineering, Ningbo University, State Key Laboratory for Novel Software Technology, Nanjing University) ;
- Ho, Yo-Sung (School of Information and Communications, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2009.07.07
- Accepted : 2010.05.13
- Published : 2010.08.30
In a multiview video system, interactivity is important for users and should be considered in the design of multiview video coding (MVC). In this paper, we present an interactivity evaluation model for MVC schemes by using both weighted random graph and Markov approaches. The main factors that affect both the interactivity and rate-distortion (RD) performances of MVC schemes are analyzed and discussed in detail. By taking these factors into consideration, a new MVC scheme is proposed for high interactivity and RD gains. Experimental results show that the proposed scheme has a significant interactivity gain with little coding loss, compared to the state-of-the-art benchmark. As an extension to RD performance analysis, the interactivity evaluation model can be used as a design tool of alternative schemes for a future interactive multiview video system.
Supported by : Natural Science Foundation of China
- C. Fehn and P. Kauff, "Interactive Virtual View Video (IVVV) - The Bridge between Immersive TV and 3D-TV," Proc. SPIE Three-Dimensional TV, Video and Display I, Boston, MA, USA, Aug. 2002, pp. 14-25.
- A. Smolic et al., "3D Video and Free Viewpoint Video-Technologies, Applications and MPEG Standards," IEEE Int. Conf. Multimedia Expo (ICME), Toronto, ON, Canada, Jul. 2006.
- ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11, "Description of Core Experiments in MVC," MPEG2006/W8019, Montreux, Switzerland, Apr. 2006.
- P. Merkle et al., "Efficient Prediction Structures for Multiview Video Coding," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., vol. 17, no. 11, Nov. 2007, pp. 1461-1473. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2007.903665
- K.J. Oh and Y.S. Ho, "Multiview Video Coding Based on the Lattice-Like Pyramid GOP Structure," Picture Coding Symp., Beijing, China, Apr. 2006.
- Y. Yang et al., "Hyper-Space Based Multiview Video Coding Scheme for Free Viewpoint Television," Picture Coding Symp., Beijing, China, Apr. 2006.
- ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 and ITU-T SG16 Q.6, "Joint Multiview Video Model (JMVM) 7.0," JVT-Z207, Antalya, Turkey, Jan. 2008.
- H. Kalva et al., "Challenges and Opportunities in Video Coding for 3D TV," IEEE Int. Conf. Multimedia Expo, 2006, pp. 1689-1692
- J.G. Lou, H. Cai, and J. Li, "Interactive Multiview Video Delivery Based on IP Multicast," Advances in Multimedia, Jan. 2007, doi:10.1155/2007/97535.
- Y. Zhang, M.I. Yu, and G. Jiang, "Evaluation of Typical Prediction Structures for Multi-View Video Coding," ISAST Trans. Electron. Signal Proces., vol. 2, no. 1, 2008, pp. 7-15.
- ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11, "Requirements on Multi-View Video Coding v.6," N8064, Montreux, Switzerland, Apr. 2006.
- Y. Liu et al., "Multi-View Video Coding with Flexible View Temporal Prediction Structure for Fast Random Access," Pacific Rim Conf. Multimedia, Lecture Notes Computer Science (LNCS) 4261, 2006, pp. 564-571.
- Y. Yang et al., "User Interaction and Random Accessibility Analysis for Multiview Video System," Int. Conf. Consumer Electronics, Las Vegas, Jan. 2008, pp. 4-22.
- H. Schwarz, D. Marpe, and T. Wiegand, "Analysis of Hierarchical B Pictures and MCTF," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Multimedia Expo, July 2006, pp. 1929-1932.
- ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11, "Transposed Picture Ordering for Dynamic Light Field Coding," M10929, Redmond, USA, Jul. 2004.
- G. Bjontegaard, "Calculation of Average PSNR Differences between RD-Curves," ITU-T SG16 Doc. VCEG-M33, Mar. 2001.