- Volume 34 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Cable vibration control with a semiactive MR damper-numerical simulation and experimental verification
- Wu, W.J. (Mustang Engineering, Houston) ;
- Cai, C.S. (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Louisiana State University)
- Received : 2008.01.23
- Accepted : 2009.12.01
- Published : 2010.03.30
Excessive stay cable vibrations can cause severe problems for cable-stayed bridges. In this paper a semiactive Magnetorheological (MR) damper is investigated to reduce cable vibrations. The control-oriented cable-damper model is first established; a computer simulation for the cable-damper system is carried out; and finally a MR damper is experimentally used to reduce the cable vibration in a laboratory environment using a semiactive control algorithm. Both the simulation and experimental results show that the semiactive MR damper achieves better control results than the corresponding passive damper.
- Cai, C.S., Wu, W.J. and Shi, X.M. (2006), "Cable vibration reduction with a hung-on TMD system. Part I: Theoretical study", J. Vib. Control, 12(7), 801-814. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546306065857
- Chen, Z.Q., Wang, X.Y., Ko, J.M., Ni, Y.Q., Spencer, B.F. Jr. and Yang, G.Q. (2003), "MR damping system on Dongting Lake cable-stayed bridge", Proceedings of Smart Systems and Nondestructive Evaluation for Civil Infrastructures, San Diego, March.
- Christenson, R.E., Spencer, B.F. Jr. and Johnson, E.A. (2006), "Experimental verification of smart cable damping", J. Eng. Mech., 132(3), 268-278. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2006)132:3(268)
- Ciolko, A.T. and Yen, W.P. (1999), "An immediate payoff from FHWA's NDE Initiative", Public Roads, 62(6), 10-17.
- Johnson, E.A., Baker, G.A., Spencer, B.F. Jr. and Fujino, Y. (2007), "Semiactive damping of stay cables", J. Eng. Mech., 133(1), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2007)133:1(1)
- Johnson, E.A., Christenson, R.E. and Spencer, B.F. Jr. (2003), "Semiactive damping of cables with sag", Computer-Aid. Civil Infrastr. Eng., 18(2), 132-146. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8667.00305
- Jung, H.J., Spencer, B.F. Jr., Ni, Y.Q. and Lee, I.W. (2004), "State-of-the-art of semiactive control systems using MR fluid dampers in civil engineering applications", Struct. Eng. Mech., 17(3), 493-526. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2004.17.3_4.493
- Langsoe, H.E. and Larsen, O.D. (1987), "Generating mechanisms for cable-stay oscillations at the FARO bridges", Proceeding of the International Conference on Cable-stayed Bridges, Bangkok, November.
- Main, J.A. and Jones, N.P. (2001), "Evaluation of viscous dampers for Stay-cable vibration mitigation", J. Bridge Eng., 6(6), 385-397. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2001)6:6(385)
- Main, J.A. and Jones, N.P. (2002), "Free vibration of taut cable with attached damper. I: Linear viscous damper", J. Eng. Mech., 128(10), 1062-1071. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2002)128:10(1062)
- Pacheco, B.M., Fujino, Y. and Sulekh, A. (1993), "Estimation curve for modal damping in stay cables with viscous damper", J. Struct. Eng., 119(6), 1961-1979. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1993)119:6(1961)
- Sarkar, P.P., Mehta, K.C., Zhao, Z.S. and Gardner, T. (1999), "Aerodynamic approach to control vibrations in stay-cables", Report to Texas Department of Transportation, TX.
- Stanway, R., Sproston, J.L. and Stevens, N.G. (1985), "Nonlinear identification of an electrorheological vibration damper", IFAC Identification and System Parameter Estimation, 195-200.
- Tabatabai, H., Mehrabi, A.B., Morgan, B.J. and Lotfi, H.R. (1998), "Non-destructive bridge technology: bridge stay cable condition assessment", Final report submitted to the Federal Highway Administration, Construction Technology Laboratories, Inc., Skokie, IL.
- Watson, S.C. and Stafford, D.G. (1988), "Cables in Trouble", Civil Eng., 58(4), 38-41.
- Wu, W.J. and Cai, C.S. (2006a), "Experimental study on magnetorheological dampers and application to cable vibration control", J. Vib. Control, 12(1), 67-82. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546306061128
- Wu, W.J. and Cai, C.S. (2006b), "Cable vibration reduction with a hung-on TMD system, Part II: Parametric study", J. Vib. Control, 12(8), 881-899. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546306065858
- Yu, Z. and Xu, Y.L. (1998), "Mitigation of three dimensional vibration of inclined sag cable using discrete oil dampers-I. formulation", J. Sound Vib., 214(4), 659-673. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1998.1609
- Semi-active damping with negative stiffness for multi-mode cable vibration mitigation: approximate collocated control solution vol.24, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/24/11/115015
- Damping of Full-Scale Stay Cable with Viscous Damper: Experiment and Analysis vol.17, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-43220.127.116.115
- Clipped viscous damping with negative stiffness for semi-active cable damping vol.20, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/20/4/045007
- Experimental calibration of forward and inverse neural networks for rotary type magnetorheological damper vol.46, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.46.5.673
- Vibration Control of Buildings Using Magnetorheological Damper: A New Control Algorithm vol.2013, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/596078
- Bouc–Wen model-based real-time force tracking scheme for MR dampers vol.22, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/22/4/045012
- Inertial mass damper for mitigating cable vibration vol.24, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1986
- Amplitude and frequency independent cable damping of Sutong Bridge and Russky Bridge by magnetorheological dampers vol.22, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1671
- Extended neural network-based scheme for real-time force tracking with magnetorheological dampers vol.21, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1569
- Damping Estimation from Free Decay Responses of Cables with MR Dampers vol.2015, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/861954
- Analysis and Design of Magnetorheological Damper vol.148-149, pp.1662-8985, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.148-149.882
- Flow of the Magnetorheological Fluid in Disc-Type Clutch vol.740, pp.1662-8985, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.740.709
- Theoretical Study on Cable’s Vibration Control by Single TMD vol.935, pp.1662-8985, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.935.211