- Volume 21 Issue 6
Influence of Ceramide III on the Structure of a Phospholipid Lamellar Liquid Crystalline Phase Hydrated in Glycerin : Structural and Thermal Behaviors
Glycerin에 수화된 인지질 라멜라 액정상의 구조에 미치는 Ceramide 3의 영향 : 구조적 및 열적거동
- Jeong, Kwan-Young (Skin Research Institute, Korea Kolmar Corporation) ;
- Lee, Dong-Kyu (Department of Industrial Engineering Chemistry, College of Engineering, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2010.05.31
- Accepted : 2010.08.27
- Published : 2010.12.10
This paper aims to investigate the lyotropic behaviors of DSPC and CER3 when they are swollen by GLY as a solvent. The analyses were carried out on DSC, XRDs, PM, and Cryo-SEM. CER3 which has its high crystallinity and structural similarity with DSPC was well arranged up to 7.0 wt% in comparison to 20 wt% DSPC without any separation, but it was separated from the liquid crystalline (LC) phase to form another crystalline phase with the expression of its characteristic peak in XRDs and eutectic thermal behavior in DSC. Introducing CER3, two types of patterns were shown in XRD spectra; one is SPP expressed in a normal LC and another is LPP expressed in human skin SC. Therefore, it was confirmed that the incorporation of CER3 makes LC structure more similar to human skin. In Cryo-SEM study, it was shown that CER3 makes LC structure thicker and denser.
- N. V. Sheth, D. J. Freeman, W. I. Higuchi, and S. L. Spruance, Int. J. Pharm., 28, 201 (1986). https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-5173(86)90246-2
- J. A. Nicolazzo, T. M. Morgan, B. L. Reed, and B. C. Finnin, J. Controlled Release, 103, 577 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jconrel.2004.12.007
- P. F. C. Lim, X. Y. Liu, L. Kang, P. C. L. Ho, Y. W. Chan, and S. Y. Chan, Int. J. Pharm., 311, 157 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2005.12.042
- J. Y. Fang, T. L. Hwang, and Y. L. Leu, Int. J. Pharm., 250, 313 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-5173(02)00540-9
- V. Luzzati and F. Husson, J. Cell, Biol., 12, 207 (1962). https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.12.2.207
- G. H. Brown and J. J. Wolken, Liquid Crystals and Biological Structures, Academic Press, New York (1979).
- A. Blumstein, R. B. Blumstein, S. B. Clough, and E. C. Hsu, Macromolecules, 8, 73 (1975). https://doi.org/10.1021/ma60043a016
- P. W. Wertz, M. C. Miethke, S. A. Long, J. S. Strauss, and D. T. Downing, J. Invest. Dermatol., 84, 410 (1985). https://doi.org/10.1111/1523-1747.ep12265510
- K. J. Robson, M. E. Stewart, S. Michelsen, N. D. Lazo, and D. T. Downing, J. Lipid. Res., 35, 2060 (1994).
- M. E. Stewart and D. T. Downing, J. Lipid. Res., 4, 1434 (1999).
- M. Ponec, A. Weerheim, P. Lankhorst, and P. W. Wertz, J. Invest. Dermatol., 120, 581 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-1747.2003.12103.x
- J. Zbytovska, M. A. Kiselev, S. S. Funari, V. M. Garamus, S. Wartewig, and R. Neubert, Chemistry and Physics of Lipids, 138, 69 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemphyslip.2005.08.004
- J. A. Bouwstra, G. S. Gooris, J. A. van der Spek, and W. J. Bras, Invest. Dermatol., 97, 1005 (1991). https://doi.org/10.1111/1523-1747.ep12492217
- J. A. Bouwstra, G. S. Gooris, J. A. van der Spek, and W. Bras, J. Invest. Dermatol., 96, 1006 (1991).
- J. A. Bouwstra, G. S. Gooris, W. Bras, and D. T. Dowing, J. Lipid Res., 36, 685 (1995).
- J. A. Bouwstra, G. S. Gooris, K. Cheng, A. Weerheim, W. Bras, and M. Ponec, J. Lipid Res., 37, 999 (1996).
- J. A. Bouwstra, G. S. Gooris, F. E. R. Dubbelaar, and M. Ponec, J. Lipid Res., 42, 1759 (2001).
- J. A. Bouwstra, G. S. Gooris, F. E. R, Dubbelaar, and M. Ponec, J. Invest. Dermatol., 118, 606 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-1747.2002.01706.x
- M. W. de Jager, G. S. Gooris, I. P. Dolbnya, W. Bras, M. Ponec, and J. A. Bouwstra, Chem. Phys. Lipids, 124, 123 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-3084(03)00050-1