- Volume 13 Issue 3
Characteristics of Tsunamis and Mitigation Planning
지진해일의 특성 및 방재대책
- Cho, Yong-Sik (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Ha, Tae-Min (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2010.08.02
- Accepted : 2010.08.19
- Published : 2010.08.31
Recently, many tsunamis triggered by impulsive undersea ground motions occurred in subduction zones around the Pacific Ocean area including the East Sea surrounded by Korea, Japan and Russia. The wave height of a tsunami may be in the order of several meters, while the wavelength can be up to 1,000 km in the ocean, where the average water depth is about 4 km. A tsunami could cause a severe coastal flooding and property damage not only at neighboring countries but also at distant countries. A fundamental and economic way to mitigate unusual tsunami attacks is to construct tsunami hazard maps along coastal areas vulnerable to tsunami flooding. These maps should be developed based on the historical tsunami events and projected scenarios. The map could be used to make evacuation plans in the event of a real tsunami assault.
Grant : 항만권역 태풍 및 지진해일 재해대응체계 구축
- 국립방재연구소, 1999, 동해안에서의 지진해일 재해저감을 위한 연구(I), NIDP-1999-07, 국립방재연구소.
- 안성호, 하태민, 조용식, 2010, 지진해일 재해정보도 제작, 한국방재학회논문집, 10(4), 인쇄중.
- Cho, Y.-S., 1995, Numerical simulations of tsunami propagation and run-up, Ph.D. Thesis, Cornell University, USA.
- Cho, Y.-S., Jin, S.-B., and Lee, H.-J., 2004, Safety analysis of Ulchin Nuclear Power Plant against the Nihonkai-Chubu Earthquake Tsunami, Nuclear Engineering and Design, 228, 393-400. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2003.06.015
- Cho, Y.-S., Sohn, D.-H., and Lee, S.-O., 2007. Practical modified scheme of linear shallow-water equations for distant propagation of tsunamis, Ocean Engineering, 34(8), 1,769- 1,777.
- Imamura, F., 1995, Review of tsunami simulation with a finite difference method, long-wave runup models, World Scientific, 25-42.
- Liu, P. L.-F., Cho, Y.-S., Briggs, M. J., Synolakis, C. E., and Kanoglu, U., 1995, Run-up of solitary wave on a circular island, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 302, 259-285. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112095004095
- Sohn, D.-H., Ha, T., and Cho, Y.-S., 2009. Distant tsunami simulation with corrected dispersion effects, Coastal Engineering Journal, 51(2), 123-141. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0578563409001977