- Volume 13 Issue 3
Earthquake Monitoring : Future Strategy
지진관측 : 미래 발전 전략
- Chi, Heon-Cheol (Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources) ;
- Park, Jung-Ho (Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources) ;
- Kim, Geun-Young (Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources) ;
- Shin, Jin-Soo (Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources) ;
- Shin, In-Cheul (Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources) ;
- Lim, In-Seub (Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources) ;
- Jeong, Byung-Sun (Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources) ;
- Sheen, Dong-Hoon (Chonnam National University)
- 지헌철 (한국지질자원연구원 지진연구센터) ;
- 박정호 (한국지질자원연구원 지진연구센터) ;
- 김근영 (한국지질자원연구원 지진연구센터) ;
- 신진수 (한국지질자원연구원 지진연구센터) ;
- 신인철 (한국지질자원연구원 지진연구센터) ;
- 임인섭 (한국지질자원연구원 지진연구센터) ;
- 정병선 (한국지질자원연구원 지진연구센터) ;
- 신동훈 (전남대학교 자연과학대학)
- Received : 2010.08.08
- Accepted : 2010.08.20
- Published : 2010.08.31
Earthquake Hazard Mitigation Law was activated into force on March 2009. By the law, the obligation to monitor the effect of earthquake on the facilities was extended to many organizations such as gas company and local governments. Based on the estimation of National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), the number of free-surface acceleration stations would be expanded to more than 400. The advent of internet protocol and the more simplified operation have allowed the quick and easy installation of seismic stations. In addition, the dynamic range of seismic instruments has been continuously improved enough to evaluate damage intensity and to alert alarm directly for earthquake hazard mitigation. For direct visualization of damage intensity and area, Real Time Intensity COlor Mapping (RTICOM) is explained in detail. RTICOM would be used to retrieve the essential information for damage evaluation, Peak Ground Acceleration (PGA). Destructive earthquake damage is usually due to surface waves which just follow S wave. The peak amplitude of surface wave would be pre-estimated from the amplitude and frequency content of first arrival P wave. Earthquake Early Warning (EEW) system is conventionally defined to estimate local magnitude from P wave. The status of EEW is reviewed and the application of EEW to Odesan earthquake is exampled with ShakeMap in order to make clear its appearance. In the sense of rapidity, the earthquake announcement of Korea Meteorological Agency (KMA) might be dramatically improved by the adaption of EEW. In order to realize hazard mitigation, EEW should be applied to the local crucial facilities such as nuclear power plants and fragile semi-conduct plant. The distributed EEW is introduced with the application example of Uljin earthquake. Not only Nation-wide but also locally distributed EEW applications, all relevant information is needed to be shared in real time. The plan of extension of Korea Integrated Seismic System (KISS) is briefly explained in order to future cooperation of data sharing and utilization.
Grant : 실시간 지진관측 및 대도시 지진위험도 예측 기술 개발
Supported by : 한국지질자원연구원
- 임인섭, 정병선, 2007, QSCD2.0 (Quick Seismic Characteristic Data from 20sps data), 한국지질자원연구원.
- 지헌철, 신인철, 정현기, 황세호, 박동창, 위광호, 신진수, 박정호, 조창수, 황의홍, 김근영, 김수경, 2000, 지진연구망 구축 및 운영, 자연재해방재기술개발사업보고서, 한국자원연구소.
- 지헌철, 전정수, 신진수, 이희일, 박정호, 2002a, 지진가속도 값의 칼라코드 표준화, 한국지진공학회 2002년도 추계 학술발표회 논문집, 한국지진공학회, P61-71.
- 지헌철, 전정수, 이희일, 박정호, 임인섭, 2002b, 지진신속피해평가시스템 구축−실시간 지진동의 2차원적 영상화, 한국지진공 학회 2002년도 추계 학술발표회 논문집, 한국지진공학회,P51-60.
- 지헌철, 신진수, 박정호, 임인섭, 선창국, 2008, 국내 최적 지진조기경보체제 구축방안, 기상지진연구기획사업보고서, 기상청, 33-47.
- Allen, R. M., P. Gasparini, O. Kamigaichi, and M Bose, 2009, The status of Earthquake Early warning around the World: An Introductory Overview, Seismological Research Letters, 80, 682-693. https://doi.org/10.1785/gssrl.80.5.682
- Cua, G., and T. Heation, 2007, The Virtual Seismologist (VS) method: A Bayesian approach to earthquake early warning, In Earthquake Early Warning systems, ed. P. Gasparini, G. Manfredi, and J. Zschau, 97-132. Berlin and Heidelberg: Springer.
- Espinosa-Aranda, J. M., A. Jimenez, G. Ibarrola, F. Alcantar, A. Aguilar, M. Inostroza, and S. Maldonado, 1995, Mexico City Seismic Alert System. Seismological Research Letters, 66, 42-52.
- Hoshiba, M., Kamigaichi, O., and Saito, M., 2008, Earthquake early warning starts nationwide in Japan, EOS, transactions of American Geophysical Union, 89(8), 73-74. https://doi.org/10.1029/2008EO080001
- Nakamura, Y., 1988, On the Urgent Earthquake Detection and Alarm System(UrEDAS), Proc. of the 9th World Conf. on Earthquake engineering, Int. Assoc. for Earthquake Eng., Tokyo, 2-9 Aug.
- Olson, E. L., and Allen, R. M., 2005, The deterministic nature of earthquake rupture, Nature, 438, 212-215. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature04214
- Tsang, L. L. H., Allen, R. M., and Wurman, G., 2007, Magnitude scaling relations from P-waves in southern California, Geophysical Research Letters, 34, L19304, doi:10.1029/ 2007GL031077. https://doi.org/10.1029/2007GL031077
- Wald, D. J., V. Quitoriano, T. H. Heaton, H. Kanamori, C. W. Scrivner, and C. B. Worden, 1999, TriNet "ShakeMaps": Rapid Generation of Peak Ground Motion and Intensity Maps for Earthquakes in Southern California, Earthquake Spectra, 15(3), 537-556. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1586057
- Wurman, G., Allen, R. M., and Lombard, P., 2007, Toward earthquake early warning in northern California, Journal of Geophysical Research, 112, B08311, doi:10.1029/2006JB004830. https://doi.org/10.1029/2006JB004830