- Volume 13 Issue 3
Polarization Analysis of Ultra Low Frequency (ULF) Geomagnetic Data for Monitoring Earthquake-precusory Phenomenon in Korea
지진 전조현상 모니터링을 위한 ULF 대역 지자기장의 분극 분석
- Yang, Jun-Mo (Deep Sea and Marine Resource Research Division, Ocean R&D Inst.) ;
- Lee, Heui-Soon (Department of Science Education, Gyeongin National University of Education) ;
- Lee, Young-Gyun (Department of Earth Science Education, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2010.07.20
- Accepted : 2010.08.05
- Published : 2010.08.31
Since the 1990's, a number of ULF geomagnetic disturbance associated with earthquake occurrences have actively been reported, and polarization analysis of geomagnetic fields becomes one of potential candidates to be capable of predicting short-term earthquake. This study develops the modified polarization analysis method based on the previous studies, and analyzes three-component geomagnetic fields obtained at Cheongyang geomagnetic observatory using the developed method. A daily polarization value (the ratio of spectral power of horizontal and vertical geomagnetic field) is calculated with a focus on the 0.01 Hz band, which is known to be the most sensitive to seismogenic ULF radiation. We analyze a total of 10 months of geomagnetic data obtained at Cheongyang observatory, and compare the polarization values with the Kp index and the earthquake occurred in the analysis period. The results show that there is little correlation between the temporal variations of polarization values and Kp index, but remarkable increases in polarization values are identified which are associated with two earthquakes. Comparison the polarization values obtained at Cheongyang and Kanoya observatory indicates that the increases of polarization values at Cheongyang might be due to not global geomagnetic induction but the locally occurred earthquakes. Furthermore, these features are clearly shown in normalized polarization values, which take account in the statistical characteristics of each geomagnetic field. On the basis of these results, polarization analysis can be used as promising tool for monitoring the earthquake-precursory phenomenon.
Supported by : 기상청
- 오석훈, 2009, 안동지진(2001 년 5월 2일)발생 기간 지자기장 자료의 변동성 분석, 한국지구과학회지, 30, 683-691.
- 양준모, 이덕기, 권병두, 윤용훈, 2004, 이천관측소에서 측정된 지자기장 및 지자기 전달한수의 시간적 변동성, 한국지구과학회지, 25, 604-614.
- 양준모, 이희순, 이춘기, 권병두, 2009a, MT 자료를 이용한 한반도의 심부 1 치윈 전기비저항 구조 연구, 한국지구과학회지, 30, 153-164.
- 양준모, 이희순, 오석훈, 2009b, 청양 지자기관측소에서 획득된 지자기전달함수와 분극값의 시간변동성에 대한 연구, 한국지구과학회지, 30, 824-833.
- 이춘기, 이회순, 권병두, 오석훈, 이덕기, 2004, 단층대의 전기전도도 변동에 의한 ULF 전자기장 교란, 물리탐사, 6, 87-94.
- 이춘기, 권병두, 이희순, 조인기, 오석훈, 송윤호, 이태종, 2007, 한반도 횡단 자기지전류 탐사에 의한 상부지각의 지전기적 구조 연구, 한국지구과학회, 28, 187-201.
- Chave, A. D., Thomson, D. J., and Ander, M. E., 1987, On the robust estimation of power spectra, coherences and transfer functions, J. Geaphys., Res., 92, 633-648. https://doi.org/10.1029/JB092iB01p00633
- Fraser-Smith, A. C., Bernardi, A., McGill, P. R., Ladd, M. E., lIelliwell, R. A., and Villard Jr., O. G., 1990, Low-frequency magnetic field measurements near the epicenter of the Ms 7.1 Loma Prieta earthquake, Geophys. Res. Lett., 17,1465-1468. https://doi.org/10.1029/GL017i009p01465
- Fenoglio, M. A., Johnston, M. J. S., and Byerlee, J. D., 1995, Magnetic and electric fields associated with changes in high pore pressure in fault zone: Application to the Loma Prieta ULF emissions, J. Geophys. Res., 100, 12951-12958. https://doi.org/10.1029/95JB00076
- Hattori, K., 2004, ULF geomagnetic changes associated with large earthquakes, TAO, 15, 329-360.
- IIattori, K., Takahashi, I., Yoshino, C., Isezaki, N., Iwasaki, II., IIarada, M., Korepanov, K., Molchanov, O., IIayakawa, M., Noda, Y., Nagao, T., and Uyeda, S., 2004, ULF geomagnetic field measurements in Japan and some recent results associated with Iwakeken Nairiku IIokunu earthquakes in 1998, Phys. Chon. Earth, 29, 481-494. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pce.2003.09.019
- IIayakawa, M., Kawate, R., Molchanov, O. A., and Yumoto, K., 1996, Results of ultra-low-frequency magnetic field measurements during Guam earthquake of 8 August 1993, Geophys. Res. Lett., 23, 241-244. https://doi.org/10.1029/95GL02863
- IIayakawa, M., Itoh, T, and Smirnova, N., 1999, Fractal analysis of ULF geomagnetic data associated with the Guam earthquake on August 8, 1993, Geophys. Res. Lett., 26, 2797- 2800. https://doi.org/10.1029/1999GL005367
- IIayakawa, M., IIattori, K., and Ohta, K., 2007, Monitoring of ULF (ultra-low-frequency) geomagnetic variations associated with earthquakes, Sensors, 7, 1108-1122. https://doi.org/10.3390/s7071108
- Ida, Y, Yang, D., Li, Q., Sun, II., and lIayakawa, M., 2008, Detection of ULF electromagnetic emissions as a precursor to an earthquake in China with an improved polarization analysis, Natural Hazards and Earth System Science, 8, 775- 777. https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-8-775-2008
- Molchanov, O. A., Kopytenko, Y. A., Voronov, P. M., Kopytenko, E. A., Matiashvili, T. G., Fraser-Smith, A. C., and Bernadi, A., 1992, Results of ULF magnetic field measurements near epicenters of Spitak (Ms=6.9) and Lama Prieta (Ms=7.1) earthquakes: Comparative analysis, Geophys. Res. Lett., 19,1495-1498. https://doi.org/10.1029/92GL01152
- Molchanov, O. A. and lIayakawa, M., 1995, Generation of ULF electromagnetic emissions by microfracturing, Geophys. Res. Lett., 22, 3091-3094. https://doi.org/10.1029/95GL00781
- hta, K., Umeda, K., Watanabe, M., and IIayakawa, M., 2002, Relationship between ELF magnetic field and Taiwan earthquake, In Lithosphere-Atmosphere-Ionmphere Coupling (eds M. Hayakmva and O. A. Machanov), Terra Science Publishers,Tokyo, 233-237.
- Ohta, K., Watanane, N., and lIayakawa, M., 2005, The observation of ULF emissions at Nakatsugawa in possible association with the 2004 Mid Niigata Prefecture earthquake, Earth. Planet and Space, 57, 1003-1008.
- Qian, S. IIao, II., Zhou, J., and Gao, J., Simulating experimental study on ULF electromagnetic precursors before Jiji M=7.4 earthquake, In Lithosphere-Atmosphere-Ionmphere Coupling (eds M. Hayakmva and O. A. Machanov), Terra Science Publishers, Tokyo, 49-53.
- Smimov, M. Y, 2003, Magnetotelluric data processing with a robust statistical procedure having a high breakdown point, Geophys. J. Int., 152,1-7. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-246X.2003.01733.x
- Tsarev, V. A. and Sasaki, II., 1999, Low frequency seismogenic electromagnetic radiation: IIow does it propagate in the earth's crust and where can it be dectected?, In Almmpheric and Ionospheric Electromagnetic Phenomena Associated with Earthquakes (eds Hayakmva, M.), Terra Science Publishers, Tokyo, 383-393.