- Volume 13 Issue 3
Source Parameters of Two Moderate Earthquakes at the Yellow Sea Area in the Korean Peninsula on March 22 and 30, 2003
한반도 황해 해역에서 발생한 2003년 3월 23일, 3월 30일 중규모 지진의 지진원 상수
- Choi, Ho-Seon (Structural Systems & Site Evaluation Department, Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Seoul National University)
- 최호선 (한국원자력안전기술원 구조부지실 서울대학교 지구환경과학부)
- Received : 2010.07.31
- Accepted : 2010.08.20
- Published : 2010.08.31
Two moderate earthquakes with local magnitude 4.9 and 5.0 at the Yellow Sea area occurred successively around Hong island on March 22, 2003 and Baengnyeong island on March 30, 2003, respectively, close to the Korean Peninsula. Focal mechanisms by the waveform inversion analysis are strike slip faulting with a thrust component for the March 22 event, and normal faulting for the March 30 event. The direction of P-axes of two events were ENE-WSW which were similar to previous studies on that of P-axes in and around the Korean Peninsula. Moment magnitudes determined by the waveform inversion analysis were 4.7 and 4.5, respectively, whereas those determined by spectral analysis were 4.8 and 4.6, respectively. As regards the March 22 event, regional stress by combined tectonic forces from compressions of plates colliding to the Eurasian plate, rather than mere local stress, was indicated. However, it was estimated that the March 30 event took place when the weak zone generated from the existing collision zone was reactivated when subjected to local stress in the tensile direction. This seismological observation indirectly supports the idea that the collision zone may extend to the Korean Peninsula.
- Bouchon, M., 1981, A simple method to calculate Green's functions for elastic layered media, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 71, 959-971.
- Chang, K.-H., 2008, Metamorphic Okcheon zone: fossil discoveries and geologic history, Journal of Paleontological Society of Korea, 24, 149-164. (in Korean with Korean abstract)
- Chang, S.-J., and Baag, C.-E., 2006, Crustal structure in southern Korea from joint analysis of regional broadband waveforms and travel times, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 96, 856-870. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120040165
Chang, S.-J., and Baag, C.-E., 2007, Moho depth and crustal
$V_P/V_S $variation in southern Korea from teleseismic receiver functions: implication for tectonic affinity between the Korean Peninsula and China, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 97, 1621-1631. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120050264
- Choi, H., Noh, M., and Choi, K. R., 2004, The relation between local magnitude and moment magnitude in the southern part of the Korean Peninsula, Journal of the Korean Geophysical Society, 7, 185-192, 2004. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Chung, W.-Y., and Brantley, B. J., 1989, The 1984 southern Yellow Sea earthquake of eastern China: source properties and seismotectonic implications for a stable continental area, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 79, 1863- 1882.
- Cipar, J. J., 1996, Earthquake focal mechanisms in northeastern China and Korea determined by the grid search algorithm, Environmental Research Papers, No. 1197.
- Eguchi, T., 1983, Tectonic stress field in East Eurasia Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, 33, 318-327. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9201(83)90048-1
- Frohlich, C., 1992, Triangle diagrams: ternary graphs to display similarity and diversity of earthquake focal mechanism, Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, 75, 193-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9201(92)90130-N
- Jin, S., and Park, P.-H., 2007, Tectonic activities and deformation in South Korea constrained by GPS observations, International Journal of Geology, 2, 11-15.
- Jun, M.-S., 1991, Body-wave analysis for shallow intraplate earthquakes in the Korean Peninsula and Yellow Sea, Tectonophysics, 192, 345-357. https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-1951(91)90108-5
- Kanamori, H., 1977, The energy release in great earthquakes,Journal of Geophysical Research, 82, 2981-2987. https://doi.org/10.1029/JB082i020p02981
- Kim, S. K., Kim, S. K., and Chi, H. C., 2002, Attenuation of peak spectral amplitude of acceleration in the southern part of the Korean Peninsula, Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, 38, 237-250. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Kim, S. K., Jun, M.-S., and Jeon, J.-S., 2006, Recent research for the seismic activities and crustal velocity structure, Journal of Korea Society of Economic and Environmental Geology, 39, 369-384. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Klein, F. W., 2002, User's Guide to HYPOINVERSE-2000, a Fortran program to solve for earthquake locations and magnitudes, Open File Report 02-171, Version 1.0.
- Kubo, A., Fukuyama, E., Kawai, H., and Nonomura, K., 2002, NIED seismic moment tensor catalogue for regional earthquakes around Japan: quality test and application, Tectonophysics, 356, 23-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0040-1951(02)00375-X
- Noh, M., Choi, K.-R., and Kim, T.-K., 2003, Analysis of Fourier amplitude spectrum by composing 3-component seismic records, Journal of the Korean Geophysical Society, 6, 25-29. (in Korean with English abstract)
- Park, Y., Ree, J.-H., and Yoo, S.-H., 2006, Fault slip analysis of Quaternary faults in southeastern Korea, Gondwana Research, 9, 118-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gr.2005.06.007
- Ruff, L. J., 2002, State of stress within the Earth, International Handbook of Earthquake and Engineering Seismology, Academic Press, 548-551.
- Ryu, I.-C., Kim, B.-Y., Kwak, W.-J., Kim, G.-H., and Park, S.- J., 2000, Stratigraphic response to tectonic evolution of sedimentary basins in the Yellow Sea and adjacent areas, Korean Journal of the Petroleum Geology, 8, 1-43. (in Korean with Korean abstract)
Shin, J. S., Kim, G.-Y., Lee, P.-G., and Choi, W.-H., 2004, Source parameters and
$ P_n $velocity of the March, 2003 Hongdo and Bakryeongdo earthquakes, Proceedings of EESK Conference- Spring 2004, 10-16.
- Sokos, E. N., and Zahradnik, J., 2008, ISOLA a Fortran code and a Matlab GUI to perform multiple-point source inversion of seismic date, Computers and Geosciences, 34, 967-977. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2007.07.005
- Song, D.-S., and Yun, H.-S., 2008, Crustal strain pattern analysis of Korean Peninsula using repeated GPS measurements, Korean Society of Civil Engineering Journal of Civil Engineering, 12, 267-273.