- Volume 13 Issue 3
Focal Mechanism in and around the Korean Peninsula
한반도 및 주변의 지진 메카니즘 특성
- Jun, Myung-Soon (Earthquake Research Center, Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources (KIGAM)) ;
- Jeon, Jeong-Soo (Earthquake Research Center, Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources (KIGAM))
- Received : 2010.07.31
- Accepted : 2010.08.24
- Published : 2010.08.31
In and around the Korean Peninsula, 18 intraplate earthquake focal mechanisms since 1936 were analyzed to understand the characteristic of focal mechanism and regional stress orientation and tectonics. These earthquakes are largest ones from the last century and may represent the characteristics of earthquake in this region. Focal mechanism of these earthquakes show predominant strike-slip faulting with small amount of thrust components. The average P-axis is almost horizontal ENE-WSW direction. This mechanism pattern and the direction of maximum stress axis is very similar with northeastern part of China and southwestern part of Japan. However they are quite different with the eastern part of East Sea. This indicate that not only the subducting Pacific Plate from east but also the indenting Indian Plate controls focal mechanism in the far east of the Eurasian Plate.
Supported by : 한국지질자원연구원
- 김성균, 김민선, 서구원, 1996, 지진파형 역산에 의한 황해남부지진의 메카니즘, 한국지구과학회지, 17, 326-329.
- 한국지질자원연구원, 2007, 실시간 지진분석 및 지진 재해 정량적 예측 기술 P.27(GP2007-006-02)
- U.S. Geological Survey, 2010, http://earthquake.usgs.gov/ earthquakes/eqarchives/epi/epic_global.php (last accessed July, 2010)
- Jun, M. S., 1990, "Source parameters of shallow intraplate earthquakes in and around the Korean Peninsula and their tectonic implication", Ph.D. Thesis, Uppsala University.
- Jun, M. S., 1991, "Body-wave analysis for shallow intraplate earthquakes in the Korean Peninsula and Yellow Sea", Tectonophysics, 192, 345-357. https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-1951(91)90108-5
- Jun, M. S., and Kulhanek, O., 1991, "Source parameters of earthquakes in and around the Korean Peninsula deduced from spectral analysis", Phys. Earth Planet. Inter., 65, 255-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9201(91)90132-2
- Jun, M. S., 1993, "Source properties of earthquakes in and around the Korean Peninsula", in 1993 Joint Conference of Seismology in East Asia, p. 170-173.
- Kang, S. D., and Choi, Y. C., 1993, "On the seismicity of Korea", in Continental Earthquakes, selected papers of the second International Conference on Continental Earthquakes, p. 185-193.
- Kang, T. S., and Baag, C. E., 2004, "The 29 May 2004, Mw = 5.1, offshore Uljin earthquake, Korea", Geoscience Jour., 8(2), 115-123. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02910189
- Kato, T., 2003, "Tectonics of the eastern Asia and the western Pacific as seen by GPS observation", Geoscience Journal, 7, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02910259
- Kim, S. G., and Kraeva, N., 1999, Source parameter determination of local earthquakes in Korea using moment tensor inversion of single station data, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 89, p. 1077-1082.
- Shimazaki, K., 1984, "Mid-plate, plate-margin, and plate-boundary earthquakes and stress transmission in far east", in A collection of papers of international symposium on continental seismicity and earthquakes prediction (ISCSEP), p. 132-147.