- Volume 35 Issue 3
Environmental Radiation Protection in Medical Institutions
- Han, Eun-Ok (Department of Radiological Technology, Daegu Health College) ;
- Dong, Kyung-Rae (Department of Radiological Technology, Gwangju Health College University)
- Received : 2010.06.25
- Accepted : 2010.09.14
- Published : 2010.09.30
The study aimed to measure the levels of radiation protection for radiologists in medical institutions in three environmental categories (physical, administrative and social) and to establish a data base which can be used to increase awareness of environmental radiation protection in medical institutions within Korea. The study surveyed 10% of radiologists working in radiology departments in medical institutions which are supervised by the National Dose Registry overseen by the Korean Food and Drug Administration(KFDA). This study found that the level of environmental radiation protection was higher in the capital area and in larger hospitals. On the other hand, the study shows environmental radiation protection was lower in the Youngnam area and in clinics. Results from the questionnaires indicate the level of environmental radiation protection was higher when radiologists were given an individual dosimeter but lowest when the radiation protection apron quality test was conducted. Environmental radiation protection is an important factor for radiologists to conduct activities in a safe and protected environment. However, this study shows there are differences in the level of environmental radiation protection in medical institutions and location within Korea. In particular, the level of environmental radiation protection was lower in clinics, appropriate intervention strategies befitting these conditions are needed based on medical institution classification and location in order to improve the level of environmental protection.
- Korea Food & Drug Administration. 2004 report occupational radiation exposure in diagnostic radiology. Radiation Safety Management Series No. 9. 2005.
- Korea Food & Drug Administration. 2006 report occupational radiation exposure in diagnostic radiology. Radiation Safety Management Series No. 15. 2007.
- International Commission on Radiological Protection. ICRP Publication 103 : The 2007 Recommendations of the International Commission on Radiological Protection. Annals of the ICRP 37(2-4) Oxford; Pergamon Press, 2007.
- International Commission on Radiological Protection. ICRP Publication 80 : Radiation Dose to Patients from Radiopharmaceuticals : Addendum 2 to ICRP Publication 53. Annals of the ICRP 28(3) Oxford; Pergamon Press, 1998.
- 보건복지부 식품의약품안전청. 보건소 방사선안전관리담당자를 위한 방사선안전관리 길잡이. 2004.
- www.healthypeople.gov/Document/html/uih/uih_2. htm#deter, 2006.
- Bandura A. Self-efficacy: Towards a Unifying Theory of Behavioral Change. Psychological Review 1977;84:191-215.
- Bandura A. Self-efficacy: The excercise of control. New York; Freeman, 1997.