- Volume 10 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Wind Power Grid Integration of an IPMSG using a Diode Rectifier and a Simple MPPT Control for Grid-Side Inverters
- Ahmed, Tarek (Dept. of Electrical and Electronics, Faculty of Engineering, Assiut University) ;
- Nishida, Katsumi (Dept. of Electric Machines, Ube National College of Technology) ;
- Nakaoka, Mutsuo (The Electric Energy Saving Research Center, Kyungnam University)
- Received : 2010.02.25
- Published : 2010.09.20
In this paper, a 1.5 kW Interior Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator (IPMSG) with a power conditioner for the grid integration of a variable-speed wind turbine is developed. The power-conditioning system consists of a series-type 12-pulse diode rectifier powered by a phase shifting transformer and then cascaded to a PWM voltage source inverter. The PWM inverter is utilized to supply sinusoidal currents to the utility line by controlling the active and reactive current components in the q-d rotating reference frame. While the q-axis active current of the PWM inverter is regulated to follow an optimized active current reference so as to track the maximum power of the wind turbine. The d-axis reactive current can be adjusted to control the reactive power and voltage. In order to track the maximum power of the wind turbine, the optimal active current reference is determined by using a simple MPPT algorithm which requires only three sensors. Moreover, the phase angle of the utility voltage is detected using a simple electronic circuit consisting of both a zero-crossing voltage detecting circuit and a counter circuit employed with a crystal oscillator. At the generator terminals, a passive filter is designed not only to decrease the harmonic voltages and currents observed at the terminals of the IPMSG but also to improve the generator efficiency. The laboratory results indicate that the losses in the IPMSG can be effectively reduced by setting a passive filter at the generator terminals.
Diode Rectifier;Interior Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generator;Passive Filter;PWM Inverter;Wind Energy
- Siegfried Heier, Grid Integration of Wind Energy Conversion Systems, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, 1998.
- M. Tazil, V. Kumar, R.C. Bansal, S. Kong, Z.Y. Dong, W. Freitas, and H.D. Mathur, "Three-phase doubly fed induction generators: An overview," IET Electric Power Applications, Vol.4, No. 2, pp. 75-89, Feb. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2009.0071
- J. Ribrant and L. M. Bertling, "Survey of failures in wind power systems with focus on swedish wind power plants during 1997-2005," IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp.167-173, Mar. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2006.889614
- N. A. Cutululis, E. Ceanga, A. D. Hansen, and P. S0rensen, "Robust multi-model control of an autonomous wind power system," Wind Energy, Vol.9, No.5, pp. 399-419, Sep./Oct. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1002/we.194
- R.Pena, J.C.Clare, and G.M.Asher "Doubly fed induction generator using back-to-back PWM converters and its application to variable-speed wind-energy generation," IEE Electric Power Applications, Vol.143, No.3, pp.231-241, Feb. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:19960288
- S. Morimoto, T. Nakamura, and Y. Takeda, "Power maximization control of variable-speed wind generation system using permanent magnet synchronous generator," IEEJ Trans. on Power and Energy, Vol. 123-B, No.12, pp.1573-1579, Dec. 2003.
- K. Nishida, T. Ahmed, and M. Nakaoka, "Induction generator hybrid applications with active power filter," IET Proceedings, Electric Power Applications, Vol.153, Issue 2, pp.197-205, Mar. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:20050278
- T. Ahmed, K. Nishida, and M. Nakaoka, "Advanced control of PWM converter with variable-speed induction generator," IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol.42, Issue 4, pp.934-945, Jul./Aug. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2006.876068
- T.F. Chan, W. Wang, and L.L. Lai, "Analysis and performance of a permanent-magnet synchronous generator supplying an isolated load," IET Electric Power Applications, Vol.4, No. 3, pp.169-176, Mar. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2009.0064
- L.Grzesiak, W.Koczara, M. da Ponte "Application of a permanent magnet machine in the novel hygen adjustable-speed load-adaptive electricity generating system," International Conference IEMD '99, pp.398-400, 1999.
- K. Tan and S. Islam, "Optimum control strategies in energy conversion of PMSG wind turbine system without mechanical sensors," IEEE Trans. on Energy Conversion, Vol.19, No.2, pp.392-399, Jun. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2004.827038
- S. Jiao, G. Hunter, V. Ramsden and D. Patterson "Control system design for a 20kW wind turbine generator with a boost converter and battery bank load," 32nd Power Electronics Specialists Conference(PESC) 2001, Vol.4, pp.2203-2206, 2001.
- S.Song, S.Kang, and N.Hahm, "Implementation and control of grid connected AC-DC-AC power converter for variable speed wind energy conversion system," 18th Annual IEEE APEC03, Vol.1, pp.154-158, 2003.
- Y.Higuchi, N.Yamamura, M.Ishida, T.Hori "An improvement of performance for small-scaled wind power generating system with permanent magnet type synchronous generator," 26th Annual Conference of the IEEE - IECON 2000,Vol.2, pp.1037-1043, 2000.
- R. Hoffmann, P. Mutschler, "The influence of control strategies on the energy capture of wind turbines," 2000 IAS Conference Record, pp.886-893, 2000.
- C. Mademlis and N. Margaris, "Loss minimization in vector-controlled interior permanent-magnet synchronous motor drives," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.49, No.6, pp.1344-1347, Dec. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.804990
- Active Damping for Wind Power Systems with LCL Filters Using a DFT vol.12, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2012.12.2.326
- A Three-Phase AC-DC High Step-up Converter for Microscale Wind-power Generation Systems vol.16, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.5.1861
- Analysis and Implementation of a DC-DC Converter for Hybrid Power Supplies Systems vol.15, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.6.1438
- A New Random SPWM Technique for AC-AC Converter-Based WECS vol.15, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.4.939
- The MPPT Control of a Small Wind Power Generation System by Adjusting the DC-Link Voltage of a Grid-connected Inverter vol.63, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2014.63.10.1402
- An Improved Maximum Power Point Tracking Method for Wind Power Systems vol.5, pp.12, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3390/en5051339
- Novel high efficient speed sensorless controller for maximum power extraction from wind energy conversion systems vol.123, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2016.06.046