- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Seismic Behavior for RC Moment Resisting Frame with Masonry Infill Walls
비내력벽을 가진 RC모멘트저항골조의 지진거동 평가
- Received : 2010.01.20
- Accepted : 2010.08.16
- Published : 2010.10.31
Masonry infill walls are frequently used as interior partitions and exterior walls in low- or middle- rise RC buildings. In the design and assessment of buildings, the infill walls are usually treated as non-structural elements and they are ignored in analytical models because they are assumed to be beneficial to the structural responses. Therefore, their influences on the structural response are ignored. In the case of buildings constructed in the USA in highly seismic regions, infill walls have a lower strength and stiffness than the boundary frames or they are separated from the boundary frames. Thus, the previously mentioned assumptions may be reasonable. However, these systems are not usually employed in most other countries. Therefore, the differences in the seismic behaviors of RC buildings with/without masonry infill walls, which are ignored in structural design, need to be investigated. In this study, structural analyses were performed for a masonry infilled low-rise RC moment-resisting frame. The infill walls were modeled as equivalent diagonal struts. The seismic behaviors of the RC moment-resisting frame with/without masonry infill walls were evaluated. From the analytical results, masonry infill walls can increase the global strength and stiffness of a structure. Consequently, the interstory drift ratio will decrease but seismic forces applied to the structure will increase more than the design seismic load because the natural period of the structure decreases. Partial damage of the infill walls by the floor causes vertical irregularity of the strength and stiffness.
Masonry infill wall;Nonstructural element;Equivalent diagonal strut;Soft story;Seismic analysis
Supported by : 한국학술진흥재단
- Fiorato, A.E., Sozen, M.A., and Gamble, W.L., An investigation of the interaction of reinforced concrete frames with masonry filler walls, Report UILU-ENG-70-100, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign IL, USA, 1970.
- Klingner, R.E., and Bertero, V.V., Infilled frames in earthquake -resistant construction, Report EERC/76-32, Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA, 1976.
- Bertero, V.V., and Brokken, S., “Infills in seismic resistant building,” Journal of Structural Engineering (ASCE), Vol. 109, No. 6, 1337-1361, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1983)109:6(1337)
- Zarnic, R., and Tomazevic, M., “Study of the behaviour of masonry infilled reinforced concrete frames subjected to seismic loading,” Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Brick Masonry, Australia, 1315-1325, 1985.
- Schmidt, T., “Experiments on the nonlinear behaviour of masonry infilled reinforced concrete frames,” Annual Journal on Concrete and Concrete Structures. 185-194, 1989.
- Mehrabi, A.B., Shing, P.B., Schuller, M.P., and Noland, J.L., Performance of masonry-infilled r/c frames under in-plane lateral loads, Report CU/SR-94-6, Department of Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder CO, USA, 1994.
- Mehrabi, A.B., Shing, P.B., Schuller, M.P., and Noland, J.L., “Experimental evaluation of masonry-infilled rc frames,” Journal of Structural Engineering (ASCE), Vol. 122, No. 3, 228-237, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1996)122:3(228)
- 최호, “무보강 콘크리트 블록채움벽을 갖는 RC 프레임의 정적가력실험,” 대한건축학회, 제 23권, 제 4호, 71-78, 2007.
- Mehrabi, A.B., and Shing, P.B., “Behaviour and analysis of masonry-infilled frames,” Prog. Struct. Engng Mater, No. 4, 320-331, 2002.
- Stafford Smith, B., “Lateral stiffness of infilled frames,” Journal of the Structural Division (ASCE), Vol. 88, No. 6, 183-199, 1962.
- International Conference of Building Official, Uniform Building Code, UBC-97, ICBO, Whittier, California, 1997.
- Prakash, V., Powell, G.H., and Campbell, S., DRAIN-2DX, Static and Dynamic Analysis of Plane Structure, NISEE, Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Berkeley, 1993.
- Dolsek, M., and Fajfar, P., “Mathematical modelling of an infilled RC frame structure based on the results of pseudodynamic tests,” Earthquake Engng Struct. Dyn, No. 31, 1215-1230, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.154
- 김희철, 김관중, 박진호, 홍원기, “지진하중을 고려한 비보강 조적조의 재료특성 평가에 관한 실험연구,” 한국지진공학회, 제 5권, 제 2호, 93-101, 2001.
- FEMA-356, Prestandard and Commentary for The Seismic Rehavilitation of Buildings, Federal Emergency Management Agency, 2000.
- Lee, D.G., Song, J.K., and Yun, C.B., “Estimation of system-level ductility demands for multi-story Structures,” Engineering Structures, Vol. 19, No. 12, 1025-1035, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00010-2
- A Comparison Study of Equivalent Strut Models for Seismic Performance Evaluation of Masonry-Infilled Frame vol.18, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2014.18.2.079