- Volume 24 Issue 1
Daily Shoot Growth Measurement of Zoysiagrass (Zoysia japonica) to Determine Mowing Interval
한국잔디(Zoysia japonica)의 깎기주기 결정을 위한 지상부 생육 조사
- Lee, Hyo-Soon (SKY72 Golf Club) ;
- Yang, Geun-Mo (Dept. of Green Landscape Science, Dankook Univ.) ;
- Choi, Joon-Soo (Dept. of Green Landscape Science, Dankook Univ.)
- Received : 2010.05.07
- Accepted : 2010.05.24
- Published : 2010.06.30
Mowing is an important practice in golf course management. Mowing interval and height can affect net photosynthesis of turfgrass and finally shoot density, tillering, rooting and regrowth of turfgrass. The objectives of this study were to investigate the regrowth rate of zoysiagrass shoot under different mowing height for determination of proper mowing frequency. Recommended mowing interval were calculated by a rule that no more than 33% of the above ground height be removed in a single mowing. Daily shoot growth of zoysiagrass at 10 mm mowing height were 2.1~4.7 mm (July), 1.9~2.9 mm (August), 0.9~1.5 mm (September), and 0.6 mm (October). These results indicate that recommended mowing interval were 1.1~2.3 day for July, 1.7~2.4 day for August, 3.5~5.4 day for September, and 8.5 day for October, respectively. Daily shoot growth of zoysiagrass at 15 to 17 mm mowing height were 4.0~5.3 mm (July), 2.9~4.5 mm (August), 1.4~3.7 mm (September), and 1.3 mm (October). These results indicate that recommended mowing interval were 1.4~1.9 day for July, 1.7~2.5 day for August, 2.3~6.3 day for September, and 6.8 day for October, respectively. Daily shoot growth of zoysiagrass at 18 to 21 mm mowing height were 3.5~4.7 mm (July), 2.9~4.9 mm (August), and 1.5~1.8 mm (September). These results indicate that recommended mowing interval were 1.9~2.6 day for July, 1.8~3.1 day for August, and 5.9~7.0 day for September, respectively. Daily shoot growth of zoysiagrass at 50 mm mowing height were 4.6~4.9 mm (July), 5.0~6.5 mm (August), and 2.5~4.7 mm (September). These results indicate that recommended mowing interval were 5.1~5.4 day for July, 3.9~5.0 day for August, and 5.3~9.8 day for September, respectively.
- 심규열, 김호준, 함선규, 최준수, 심상렬. 1998. 잔디구장의 조성과 관리. 한국체육과학연구원.
- 안용태, 김성태, 김인섭, 김진원, 김호준, 심규열, 양승원, 이상재, 함선규. 1992. Golf장 관리의 기본과 실제. 한국잔디연구소. p. 585-591;135-143.
- Yu, T.Y. and D.Y. Yeam. 1969. The effect of planting date, storage & density on the growth of trans-planted Zoysia japonica. Jor. Kor. Sco. Hort. Sci. 5:73-83.
- Beard, J.B. 1973. Turfgrass:science and culture. Prentice-Hall, Inc. p. 383-401.
- Dunn, J. H. and K. Diesburg. 2004. Turf management in the transition zone. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. p. 46-48;87-98.
- Davis, R.R. 1956. Question and answers on future of meyer zoysiagrass. Ohio Fm. Home Res. 14:44-45.
- Engelke, M.C., J.J. Murrary, and D.Y. Yeam. 1983. Distribution, collection and use of zoysiagrass in the far east, part II. Agronomy abstract. p. 125.
- Ervin, E.H. 1999. Summer care of warm-season zoysiagrass and bermudagrass lawn. Curators of the University of Missouri College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources at the University of Missouri-Columbia Columbia, MO 65211. p. 573-882-8301.
- Fukuoka, H. 1997. Breeding of zoysia in Japan. International symposium of zoysiagrass breeding. Dankook University, Korea. p. 1-8.
- Madison, J.H., Jr. 1960. The mowing of turfgrass. I. The effect of season, interval, and height of mowing on the growth of seaside bentgrass turf. Agronomy Journal. 52:449-452. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1960.00021962005200080007x
- Madison, J.H. 1962. Turfgrass ecology. Effects of mowing, irrigation, and nitrogen treatments of Agrostis palustris Huds., 'Seaside' and Agrostis tenuis Sibth., 'Highland' on population, yield, rooting, and cover. Agron. J. 54;407-412. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1962.00021962005400050011x
- Turgeon, A.J. 1991. Turfgrass management(3th ed.). Prentice- Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey. p. 77-95,139;152-154