- Volume 14 Issue 2
Comparison of Insecticidal Activity and Feeding Behavior of Nilaparvata lugens by Root Uptake Times against Fenobucarb and Imidacloprid
Fenobucarb와 Imidacloprid의 벼 뿌리 침지시간에 따른 벼멸구의 살충활성과 섭식행동비교
- Yang, Jeong-Oh (Dept. of Plant Medicine, College of Agriculture, Life, and Environment Sciences, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Cho, Sun-Ran (Dept. of Plant Medicine, College of Agriculture, Life, and Environment Sciences, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kwon, Yun-Hee (Dept. of Plant Medicine, College of Agriculture, Life, and Environment Sciences, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Yoon, Chang-Mann (Dept. of Plant Medicine, College of Agriculture, Life, and Environment Sciences, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Gil-Hah (Dept. of Plant Medicine, College of Agriculture, Life, and Environment Sciences, Chungbuk National University)
- 양정오 (충북대학교 농업생명환경대학 식물의학과) ;
- 조선란 (충북대학교 농업생명환경대학 식물의학과) ;
- 권윤희 (충북대학교 농업생명환경대학 식물의학과) ;
- 윤창만 (충북대학교 농업생명환경대학 식물의학과) ;
- 김길하 (충북대학교 농업생명환경대학 식물의학과)
- Received : 2010.05.15
- Accepted : 2010.05.27
- Published : 2010.06.30
Two insecticides, fenobucarb (36, 12 ppm) and imidacloprid (0.7, 0.4 ppm) were treated on rice seedling roots by root uptake method with different dipping time (1, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24 hrs). This study was performed to elucidate the correlation between insecticidal activity and feeding behavior of Nilaparvata lugens using EPG (electrical penetration graph). EPG waveforms are recorded for 4 hours and classified into six waveforms. In the correlation between root uptake and corrected mortality, both insecticides showed higher corrected mortality as higher doses and as longer root uptake times. In the analysis of waveforms, N. lugens showed longer nonprobe time but shorter phloem feeding time at a higher dose. It was also showed the same result as longer the root uptake times. Therefore, it showed the correlation between insecticidal activity by root uptake time and both EPG waveforms (non-probing time and phloem feeding time).
Nilaparvata lugens;Feeding behavior;EPG(Electrical Penetration Graph);Correlation
- Bae, S.H. and M.D. Pathak (1970) Life history of Nilaparvata lugens (Homoptera: Delphacidae) and susceptibility of rice varieties to its attacks. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 63:149-155. https://doi.org/10.1093/aesa/63.1.149
- Campbell, B.C., D.L. Mclean, M.G. Kinsey, K.C. Jones and D.L. Dreyer (1982) Probing behavior of the greenbug (Schizaphis graminum, biotype C) on resistant and susceptible varieties of sorghum. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 31:140-146. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1570-7458.1982.tb03125.x
- Choi, B.R. (1998) Characteristics of insecticidal action of imidacloprid and the resistance mechanisms on Nilaparvata lugens (Homoptera: Delphacidae) and Myzus persicae (Homoptera: Aphididae). Ph.D. Thesis, Gyeongsang National University pp.123.
- Cook, A.G., S. Woodhead, V.F. Magalit and E.A. Heinrichs (1987) Variation in feeding behaviour of Nilaparvata lugens on resistant and susceptible rice varieties. Entomol. Exp.Appl. 43:227-235. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1570-7458.1987.tb02214.x
- Goussain, M.M., E. Prado and J.C. Moraes (2005) Effect of silicon applied to wheat plants on the biology and probing behaviour of the greenbug Schizaphis graminum (Hemiptera: Aphididae). Neotrop. Entomol. 34:807-813. (Rond.) https://doi.org/10.1590/S1519-566X2005000500013
- Hattori, M. (2001) Probing behavior of the brown planthopper, Nilaparvata lugens Stål (Homoptera: Delphacidae) on a non-host barnyard grass, and resistant and susceptible varieties of rice. Appl. Entomol. Zool. 36:83-89. https://doi.org/10.1303/aez.2001.83
- Jiang Y.X., H. Lei, J.L. Collar, B. Martin, M. Muniz and A. Fereres (1999) Probing and feeding behaviour of two distinct biotypes of Bemisia tabaci (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae) on tomato plant. J. Econ. Entomol. 92:357-366. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/92.2.357
- KCPA (2009) User's Manual for Pesticides. pp.624, pp.543. Korea Crop Protection Association.
- Khan, Z.R. and R.C. Saxena (1984) Electronically recorded waveforms associated with the feeding behaviour of Sogatella furcifera (Homoptera: Delphacidae) on susceptible and resistant rice varieties. J. Econ. Entomol. 77:1479-1482. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/77.6.1479
- Khan, Z.R. and R.C. Saxena (1985) Mode of feeding and growth of Nephotettix virescens (Homoptera: Cicadellidae) on selected resistant and susceptible rice varieties. J. Econ. Entomol. 77:1479-1482.
- Kimmins, F.M. (1989) Electrical penetration graphs from Nilaparvata lugens on resistant and susceptible rice varieties. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 50:69-79. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1570-7458.1989.tb02317.x
- Kim, N.S., M.J. Seo and Y.N. Youn (2005) Characteristics of feeding behavior of the rice brown planthopper, Nilaparvata lugens, using electrical penetration graph (EPG) technique on different rice varieties. Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 44:177-187.
- Kono, Y., S. Kawabe, M. Sakai, Y. Sato and T. Suzuki (1982) Effect of cartap on sucking activity of the green rice leafhopper (Hemiptera: Deltocephalidae). Jpn. J. Appl. Entomol.Zool. 26:41-47 (in japanese). https://doi.org/10.1303/jjaez.26.41
- Kwon, Y.H., J.O. Yang, J.H. Oh, D.J. Noh, C.M. Yoon and G.H. Kim (2008) Changes of feeding behavior of sweetpotato whitefly, Bemisia tabaci correlated with the residual effect of emamectin benzoate and pyridaben. Kor. J. Pestic.Sci. 12:397-402.
- Lei, H., W.F. Tjallingii, J.C. van Lenteren and R.M. Xu (1996) Stylet penetration by larvae of the greenhouse whitefly on cucumber. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 79:77-84. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1570-7458.1996.tb00811.x
- Liu, J. and S. Takahashi (1991) Influence of plant extracts on survival and feeding behaviour of Nephotettix spp. (Homoptera: Deltocephalidae). Appl. Entomol. Zool. 26:523-533. https://doi.org/10.1303/aez.26.523
- McLean, D.L. and M.G. Kinsey (1967) Probing behavior of the pea aphid, Acyrthosiphon pisum. I. Definite correlations of electronically recorded waveforms with aphid probing activities. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 60:400-406. https://doi.org/10.1093/aesa/60.2.400
- Methfessel, C. (1992) Effect of imidacloprid on the nicotinergic acetylcholine receptor of rat muscle. Flanzenschutz-Nachrichten Bayer 45:369-380.
- Minamita, I., K. Iwanaga., T. Tabuchi., I. Aoki., T. Fusaka., H. Ishizuka and T. Okauch (1993) Synthesis and insecticidal activity of acyclic nitroethene compounds containing a heteroarylamino group. J. Pestic. Sci. 18:41-48. https://doi.org/10.1584/jpestics.18.41
- Nauen, R. (1995) Behaviour modifying effects of low systemic concentrations of imidacloprid on Myzus persicae with special reference to an antifeeding response. Pestic. Sci. 44:145-153. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.2780440207
- Nauen, R. and A. Elbert (1994) Effect of imidacloprid on aphids after seed treatment of cotton in laboratory and greenhouse experiments. Pflanzenschutz-Nachrichten Bayer 47:177-210.
- Nauen, R. and A. Elbert (1997) Apparent tolerance of a field collected strain of Myzus nicotianae to imidacloprid due to strong antifeeding responses. Pestic. Sci. 49:252-258. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9063(199703)49:3<252::AID-PS521>3.0.CO;2-2
- Rosen, H. (1957) A modified ninhydrin colorimetric analysis for amino acids. Arch. Biochem. Biophysics 67:10-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9861(57)90241-2
- Saxena, R.C. and Z.R. Khan (1985) Electronically recorded disturbances in feeding behavior of Nephotettix virescens (Homoptera: Cicadellidae) on neem oil-treated rice plants. J. Econ. Entomol. 78:222-226. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/78.1.222
- Seo, B.Y., Y.H. Kwon, J.K. Jung and G.H. Kim (2009) Electrical penetration graphic waveforms in relation to the actual positions of the stylet tips of Nilaparvata lugens in rice tissue. J. Asia-Pacific Entomol. 12:89-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aspen.2009.02.002
- Seo, M.J., J.O. Yang, C.M. Yoon, Y.N. Youn and G.H. Kim (2007) Differentiation in feeding behaviour of biotypes B and Q of Bemisia tabaci (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae) against three insecticides. Kor. J. Appl. Entomol. 46(3):401-408. https://doi.org/10.5656/KSAE.2007.46.3.401
- Shepard, B.M., Z.R. Khan, M.D. Pathak and E.A. Heinrichs (1991) Management of insect pests of rice in Asia. In: Pimentel,D. (2nd Ed.), Handbook of Pest Management in Agriculture. CRC Pess, pp.225-278.
- Sogawa, K. (1982) The rice brown planthopper: Feeding physiology and host plant interactions. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 27: 49-73. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.en.27.010182.000405
- Spiller, N.J. (1988) Electronic recording of plant penetration by the cereal aphids Rhapalosiphum padi and Metropolophium dirhodum on resistant and susceptible wheat seedlings. Ann. Appl. Biol. 112:471-478. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-7348.1988.tb02084.x
- Tjallingii, W.F. (1978) Electrical recording of plant penetration by aphids. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 24:521-530.
- Tjallingii, W.F. (1985) Electrical nature of recorded signals during stylet penetration by aphids. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 38: 177-186. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1570-7458.1985.tb03516.x
- Tomizawa, M. (1994) Structure-activity relationships of nicotinoids and the related compounds. J. Pestic. Sci. 19: 335-336. https://doi.org/10.1584/jpestics.19.4_335
- Tomizawa, M., H. Otsuka, T. Miyamoto and I. Yamamoto (1995a) Pharmacological effects of imidacloprid and its related compounds on the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor with its ion channel from the torpedo electric organ. J.Pestic.Sci. 20:49-56. https://doi.org/10.1584/jpestics.20.49
- Tomizawa, M., H. Otsuka, T. Miyamoto, M.E. Eldefrawi and I. Yamamoto (1995b) Pharmacological characteristics of insect nicotinic acetylchloline receptor with its ion channel and the comparison of the effect of nicotinoids and neonicotinoids. J. Pestic. Sci. 20:57-64. https://doi.org/10.1584/jpestics.20.57
- Velusamy, R. and E.A. Heinrichs (1986) Electronic monitoring of feeding behavior of Nilaparvata lugens (Homoptera: Delphacidae) on resistant and susceptible rice cultivars. Environ. Entomol. 15:678-682. https://doi.org/10.1093/ee/15.3.678
- Yoo J.K., S.W. Lee, T. Nagata and T. Shono (2002) Altered acetylcholinesterase as a resistance mechanism in the brown planthopper (Homoptera: Delphacidae), Nilaparvata lugens (Stal). Appl. Entomol. Zool. 37:37-41. https://doi.org/10.1303/aez.2002.37
- Youn, Y.N. (1992) Electrophysiological recordings of olfactory receptors, ultrastructure of compound eyes and electrical monitoring of feeding begaviour in Nilaparvata lugens (Stal) (Homoptera: Delphacidae). Ph.D. Thesis. University of London.England. pp.392.
- Qiu, H.M., J.C. Wu, G.Q. Yang, B. Dong and D.H. Li (2004) Changes in the uptake function of the rice root to nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium under brown planthopper, Nilaparvata lugens (Stal) (Homoptera: Delphacidae) and pesticide stress, and effect of pesticides on rice-grain filling in field. Crop Protec. 23:1041-1048. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2004.03.005