- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of light intensity on first feeding of the chub mackerel Scomber japonicus larvae
- Yoon, Ho-Seop (Division of Marine Technology, Chonnam National University) ;
- Hwang, Jae-Ho (Division of Marine Technology, Chonnam National University) ;
- Choi, Sang-Duk (Division of Marine Technology, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2010.01.04
- Published : 2010.06.30
This study investigated the effect of different light intensities on first feeding of chub mackerel Scomber japonicus larvae. Fertilized eggs, obtained from LHRHa-induced spawning of captive broodstock, were stocked (60 larvae/l) into twelve 30-1 aquaria under light intensities of 0, 100, 200, 500 and 1000 lx, with three replicate aquaria per treatment. Temperature was maintained at
- Batty RS. 1987. Effect of light intensity on activity and food-searching of larval herring, Clupea harengus: a laboratory study. Mar Biol. 94:323-327. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00428237
- Batty RS, Hoyt RD. 1995. The role of sense organs in the feeding behaviour of juvenile sole and plaice. J Fish Biol. 47:931-939. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.1995.tb06019.x
- Bayhan B. 2007. Growth characteristics of the chub mackerel (Scomber japonicus Houttuyn, 1782) in Izmir Bay (Aegean Sea, Turkiye). J Anim Vet Adv. 6:627-634.
- Blaxter JHS. 1969. Visual thresholds and spectral sensitivity of flatfish larvae. J Exp Biol. 51:98-114.
- Blaxter JHS. 1986. Development of sense organs and behaviour of teleost larvae with special reference to feeding and predator avoidance. Trans Amer Fish Soc. 115:98-114. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8659(1986)115<98:NLFCDO>2.0.CO;2
- Blaxter JHS, Staines M. 1970. Pure-cone retina and retino-motor responses in larval teleost. J Mar Biol Assoc UK. 50:449-460. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0025315400004641
- Chesney EJ Jr. 1989. Estimating the food requirement of striped bass larvae Morone saxatilis: effects of light, turbidity and turbulence. Mar Ecol Prog Ser. 53:191-200. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps053191
- Collette BB, Nauen CE. 1983. FAO species catalogue. Scombrids of the world. An annotated and illustrated catalogue of tunas, mackerels, bonitos and related species known to date. FAO Fish Synopsis. 2:137.
- Connaughton VP, Epifamio CE, Thomas R. 1994. Effects of varying irradiance on feeding in larval weakfish (Cynoscion regalis). J Exp Mar Biol Ecol. 180:151-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-0981(94)90063-9
- Dower JF, Miller TJ, Legget WC. 1997. The role of microscale turbulence in the feeding ecology of larval fish. Adv Mar Biol. 31:170-220.
- Dou SZ, Masuda R, Tanaka M, Tsukamoto K. 2002. Feeding resumption, morphological changes and mortality during starvation in Japanese flounder larvae. J Fish Biol. 60:1363-1380. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.2002.tb02432.x
- Dou SZ, Masuda R, Tanaka M, Tsukamoto K. 2005. Effects of temperature and delayed initial feeding on the survival and growth of Japanese flounder larvae. J Fish Biol. 66:362-377. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0022-1112.2005.00601.x
- Downing G, Litvak MK. 1999. The influence of light intensity on growth of larval haddock. Nor Amer J Aqua. 61:135-140. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8454(1999)061<0135:TIOLIO>2.0.CO;2
- Downing G, Litvak MK. 2001. The effect of light intensity and spectrum on the incidence of first feeding by larval haddock. J Fish Biol. 59:1566-1578. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.2001.tb00221.x
- Gisbert E, Williot P. 1997. Larval behavior and effect of the timing of initial feeding on growth and survival of Siberian sturgeon (Acipenser baeri) larvae under small scale hatchery production. Aquaculture. 156:63-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0044-8486(97)00086-0
- Houde ED. 1974. Effects of temperature and delayed feeding on growth and survival of larvae of three species of subtropical marine fishes. Mar Biol. 26:271-285. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00389257
- Hunter JR. 1981. Feeding ecology and predation of marine fish larvae. In: Lasker R, editor. Marine fish larvae: morphology, ecology and relation to fisheries. Seattle: University of Washington Press. p. 33-77.
- Hunter JR, Kimbrell CA. 1980. Early life history of Pacific mackerel, Scomber japonicus. Fish Bull (La Jolla) 78:89-101.
- Huse I. 1994. Feeding at different illumination levels in larvae of three marine teleost species: cod, Gadus morhua L., plaice, Pleuronectes platessa L., and turbot, Scophthalmus maximus (L.). Aqua Fish Manage. 25:687-695.
- Hwang SD, Lee TW 2005. Spawning dates and early growth of chub mackerel Scomber japonicus as indicated by otolith microstructure of juveniles in the inshore nursery ground. Fish Sci. 71:1185-1187. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-2906.2005.01081.x
- Kailasam M, Thirunavukkarasu AR, Selvaraj S, Stalin P. 2007. Effect of delayed initial feeding on growth and survival of Asian sea bass Lates calcarifer (Bloch) larvae. Aquaculture. 271:298-306. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2007.05.005
- Kramer D. 1960. Development of eggs and larvae of Pacific mackerel and distribution and abundance of larvae. Fish Bull. Fish Wildl Servo 174:389-438.
- Laurence Ge. 1974. Growth and survival of haddock (Melanogrammus aeglefinus) larvae in relation to plank-tonic prey concentration. J Fish Res Board Can. 31 :1415-1419. https://doi.org/10.1139/f74-170
- MacKenzie BR, Miller TJ, Cyr S, Legget WC. 1994. Evidence of a dome shaped relationship between turbulence and larval fish ingestion rate. Limnol Ocean. 39:1790-1799. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1922.214.171.1240
- MacKenzie BR, Uebershar B, Basford D, Heath M, Gallego A. 1999. Diel variability of feeding activity in haddock (Melanogrammus aeglefinus) larvae in the East Shetland area, North Sea. Mar Biol. 135:361-368. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002270050635
- Macy WK, Sutherland SJ, Durbin EG. 1998. Effects of zooplankton size and concentration and light intensity on the feeding behavior of Atlantic mackerel Scomber scombrus. Mar Ecol Prog Ser. 172:89-100. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps172089
- Monk J, Puvanendran V, Brown JA. 2006. Do different light regimes affect the foraging behaviour, growth and survival of larval cod (Gadus morhua L.)? Aquaculture. 257:287-293. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2006.02.071
- Mookerji N, Rao TR. 1999. Rates of yolk utilization and effects of delayed initial feeding in the larvae of the freshwater fishes rohu and singhi. Aquac Int. 7:45-56. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1009244819835
- Paul AJ, 1983. Light, temperature, nauplii concentrations, and prey capture by first feeding pollock larvae Theragra chalcogramma. Mar Ecol Pro Ser. 13:175-179. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps013175
- Porter SM, Theilacker GR. 1999. The development of the digestive tract and eye in larval walley pollock, Theragra chalcogramma. Fish Bull. 97:722-729.
- Puvanendran V, Brown JA. 2002. Foraging, growth and survival of Atlantic cod larvae reared in different light intensities and photoperiods. Aquaculture. 214:131-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0044-8486(02)00045-5
- Sabates A, Bazzano A, Vallvey I. 2003. Feeding pattern and the visual light environment in myctophid fish larvae. J Fish Biol. 63:1476-1490. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.2003.00259.x
- Sawada Y, Miyashita S, Aoyama M, Kurata M, Okada Y, Murata O, Kumai H. 2000. Rotifer-size selectivity and optimal feeding density of bluefin tuna, Thunnus thynnus, larvae. Suisanzoshoku. 48:169-177.
- Watanabe T. 1970. Morphology and ecology of early stages of life in Japanese common mackerel, Scomber japonicus Houttuyn, with special reference to fluctuation of population. Bull Tokai Reg Fish Res Lab. 62:1-283.
- Watanabe WO, Smith TH, Berlinsky DL, Woolridge CA, Stuart KR, Copeland KA, Denson MR. 2003. Volitional spawning of black sea bass (Centropristis striata) induced with pelleted luteinizing. hormone releasing hormone-analogue. J World Aqua Soc. 34:319-331. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-7345.2003.tb00070.x
- Yoseda K, Yamamoto K, Asami K, Chimura M, Hashimoto K, Kosaka S. 2008. Influence of light intensity on feeding, growth, and early survival of leopard coral grouper (Plectropomus leopardus) larvae under mass-scale rearing conditions. Aquaculture. 279:55-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2008.04.002