- Volume 10 Issue 1
The Effects of Music Therapy on Pain, Depression and Anxiety in Terminal Cancer Patients
음악요법이 말기 암환자의 통증, 우울 및 불안에 미치는 효과
- Hong, Mi-Soon (College of Nursing, Chonnam National University, Chonnam Research Instutude of Nursing Science) ;
- Cho, Mi-Ja (Kwangju Christian Hospital)
- Received : 2009.12.15
- Accepted : 2010.01.26
- Published : 2010.02.27
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of music therapy on pain, depression, and anxiety in terminally ill patients. Methods: Twenty patients in the experimental group were provided with music via headphones for 30-40 min at a time as they requested for 2 weeks, whereas no music was provided for the nineteen patients in the control group. Data were collected using a questionnaire. The research instruments included Visual Analog Scale (VAS) and Depression & Anxiety Inventory Scale. Data were analyzed using
Supported by : 전남대학교
- Beck SL. The therapeutic use of music for cancer-related pain. Oncol Nurs Forum 1991;18:1327-36.
- Bulfone, Quattrin, Zanotti, Regattin, Brusaferro. Effectiveness of music therapy for anxiety reduction in women with breast cancer in chemotherapy treatment. Holist Nurs Pract 2009;23: 238-42.
- Chang SY. Effect of aroma hand massage on pain, anxiety and depression in hospice patients with terminal cancer. J Korean Acad Nurs 2008;38:493-502. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.4.493
- Chung JS. Effect of spiritual nursing care on spiritual well-being, depression, anxiety, and pain in terminal patients with cancer. [dissertation]. Gwangju:Chonnam National Univ.;2005.
- Covington H, Crosby C. Music therapy as a nursing intervention. J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv 1997;35(3):34-7.
- Demmer C. A survey of complementary therapy services provided by hospice. J Palliat Med 2004;7:510-16. https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2004.7.510
- Derogatis LR. SCL-90-R administration, scoring and procedures manual. Clinical Psychometric Research. 1977.
- Ferrer AJ. The effect of live music on decreasing anxiety in patients undergoing chemotherapy treatment. J Music Ther 2007; 44:242-45.
- Guzzetta C. Effect of relaxation and music therapy on patients in a coronary care unit with presumptive acute myocardial infection. Heart Lung 1989;18:609-16.
- Han TH, Ahn HJ. The severity and variables influencing depression in cancer patients with pain. Korean J Anesthesiol 2000; 39:554-62.
- Horne-Thompson A, Grocke D. The effect of music therapy on anxiety in patients who are terminally ill. J Palliat Med 2008; 11:582-90.
- Kim JN, Song MO. Effect of spiritual nursing intervention on spiritual well being and depression of hospice patients. J Korean Community Nurs 2004;15:132-44.
- Kim KI, Kim JH, Won HT. Guideline for SCL-90-R. Chungang aptitude publishing Co. Chungang aptitude studies. 1984.
- Korean National Statistical Office. -The Cause of Death Statistics- 2005. Available at: http://www.nso.go.kr [accessed on 1 July 2009].
- Kim SH. A meta-analysis of literature on the effect of music therapy outcome research. Korean J Music Ther 2002;4(2):19-40.
- Krout RE. The effects of single-session music therapy intervention on the observed and self reported levels on pain control, physical comfort and relaxation of hospice patients. Am J Hosp Palliat Care 2001;18:383-90. https://doi.org/10.1177/104990910101800607
- Kwekkeboom KL. Music versus distraction for procedural pain and anxiety in patients with cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum 2003; 30:433-40. https://doi.org/10.1188/03.ONF.433-440
- Lane O. Music therapy: a gift beyond measure. Oncol Nurs Forum 1992;19:863-7.
- Lloyd-Williams M. Screening for depression in palliative care patients: a review. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 2001;10:31-5. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2354.2001.00244.x
- Massie MJ, Holland JC. Depression and cancer patient. J Clin Psychiatry 1990;51 Suppl:12-7.
- Nakayama H, Kikuta F, Takeda H. A pilot study on effectiveness of music therapy in hospice in Japan. J Music Ther 2009; 46:160-72.
- O'Collaghan C. Complementary therapy in terminal care pain, music creativity and music therapy in palliative care. Am J Hosp Palliat Care 1996;13(2):43-9. https://doi.org/10.1177/104990919601300211
- Park SE. A study on experience of art therapy for terminally ill patients with cancer [dissertation]. Seoul:Seoul Women's Univ.;2007.
- Ro YJ, Kim NC, Hong YS, Yong JS. Factors influencing pain with terminally ill cancer patients in hospice units. J Korean Acad Nurs 2001;31:206-20.
- Smith M, Casey L, Johnson D, Gwede C, Riggin OZ. Music as a therapeutic intervention for anxiety in patients receiving radiation therapy. Oncol Nurs Forum 2001;28:855-62.
- Werth JL, Gorden JR, Johnson RR. Psychological issues near the end of life. Aging Ment Health 2002;26:402-12.
- Yang MJ, Jeon YW, Han SI, Han CW, Eom HS. Depression and pain in patients with cancer. J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc 2000;39:1122-31.
- Yoon MO, Park JS. The effect of Spiritual Nursing intervention on anxiety and depression of the hospice patients. J Korean Acad of Adult Nurs 2002;14:337-47.
- Yu HS. How does the listening-centered music intermediation contribute to reducing anxiety of terminal cancer patients? [dissertation]. Seoul:Sookmyung Women's Univ.; 2002.
- Yun YH, Heo DS, Kim HS, Ou SW, Yoo TW, Kim YY, et al. Pain and Factors Influencing Its Management in Patients with Terminal Cancer. J Korean Hosp Palliat Care 1998;1:23-9.