- Volume 10 Issue 1
A Study of the Curriculum of Genetics Nursing Education
유전간호교육 교과과정에 관한 연구
- Choi, Kyung-Sook (Department of Nursing, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Jung (Department of Nursing, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Jang, Eun-Sil (Department of Nursing, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Park, Jung-Ae (Department of Nursing, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2009.12.12
- Accepted : 2010.02.07
- Published : 2010.02.27
Purpose: This study was undertaken to establish the framework for development of the curriculum of genetics in Nursing Education. Methods: The Internet search, literature review of the US system of genetic nurses, genetic graduate nursing education programs and curricula for nurse in Korea were reviewed and analyzed. Results: American Nurses genetic system consists of APNG and the GCS and all the APNG credential provided by the GNCC of ISONG. The curriculums of genetic nursing education in the US are mainly conducted in of master's program and genetically related subjects consists of basic genetics subjects, basic applied genetics subjects, genetics in nursing subjects and practical training subjects. Lastly a genetic nursing education program in Korea 44 hr of lectures and practical training of 4 hr is composed of basic genetics, genetic cancer, genetics in nursing and practicum in the computer lab and online include family history assessment, pedigree construction, breast and colorectal cancer risk calculations, and ELSI discussions. Conclusion: This study suggested that genetic nursing education course needs in master's program as detailed subjects. Also the establishment of the genetic nurse system is an urgent needed.
Supported by : 중앙대학교
- Greco KE. What is a genetic nurse. MedSurg Nursing 2003 April. Available at: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FSS /is_ 2_12/ai_n18615558/ [accessed 19 January 2010].
- Greco KE, Mahon SM. Genetics nursing practice enters a new era with credenti-aling. Int J Adv Nurs Prac 2003;5(2). Available at: http://www.ispub.com/ ostia/index.php?xmlFilePath= journals/ijanp/vol5n2/genetics.xml
- Leesick M, Anderson L. Genetic discoveries; challenges of nurses who care for children and their families. J Soc Pediatr Nurs 2000;5:47-51. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6155.2000.tb00085.x
- Jun MH, Choi KS, Ahn SH, Gu BK. Experiences of Breast cancer Women Undertaking Genetic test. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2005;5:146-58.
- Genetic Nursing Credentialing Commission (GNCC). Available at: http://www.genetic nurse.org [accessed on 26 January 2010].
- Society of Nurses in Genetics (ISONG). Available at: http://www. isong.org [accessed on 26 January 2010].
- American Association of colleges of Nursing (AACN). Available at: http://www.aacn.nche.edu [accessed on 26 January 2010].
- AACN. The essentials of baccalaureate education for professional nursing practice. Available at: http://www.aacn.nche.edu/ Education/pdf/BaccEssentials 08.pdf [accessed on 20 October 2008].
- American Nurses Association (ANA). Available at: http://www. nursingworld.org [accessed on 26 January 2010].
- Consensus Panel on Genetic/Genomic Nursing Competencies. Essential Nursing Competencies and Curricula Guidelines for Genetics and Genomics. American Nurses Association 2005. Silver Spring, MD. Available at: http://www.aacn.nche.edu/ Education/curriculum.htm [accessed on 26 January 2010].
- Hong HS, Byeon YS, Na YK. The current status and educational requirements for genetics curriculum at nursing institutions. J Korean Biol Nurs Sci 2003;5:13-22.
- Kim MY. The nurses'knowledge and perception of their role in genetics. J Korean Acad Nurs 2003;33:1083-92.
- Kim MY, Byeon YS, Yoon HS. Literature review of development of the genetic counseling education program for genetic specialized nurse. J Korean Biol Nurs Sci 2005;7:15-28.
- Choi KS, Jun MH, Anderson G. The first Korean cancer genetic counseling program for nurses. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2006;9:104-14.
- Jun MH, Park JA, Choi KS. The effect of the first Korean cancer genetic counseling program on nurses's cancer genetic knowledge. J Korean Oncol Nurs. In press 2010.
- Columbia University. Available at: http://sklad.cumc. columbia. edu/nursing/courses/programs/genAdvPrac.php [accessed on 19 January 2010].
- The University of Iowa. Available at: http://www.nursing.uiowa. edu/academprog/msn/geneticsindex.htm [accessed on 19 January 2010].
- The University of California, San Francisco. Available at: http:// nurseweb.ucsf.edu/www/genomic.htm [accessed on 19 January 2010].
- The University of Pittsburg. Available at: http://www.pitt. edu/ ~nursing/academic programs/certificates [accessed on 19 January 2010].
- The University of Washington. Available at: http://www.son. washington.edu/Faculty/support/self-study [accessed on 30 March 2005].
- International Society of Nurses in Genetics and the American Nurses Association. Statement on the scope and standards of genetics clinical nursing practice. Washington DC:American Nurses Association Publishers;1998.
- Carlson JJ. Genetics Credentials in Nursing Practice. NCHPEG/ GROW Seventh annual meeting;2004. Available at: http:// depts.washington.edu/phgen/degreeprograms/practicum/Josh- Carlson_Practicum.pdf [accessed on 19 January 2010].
- Kim HJ, Choi JY. A study on genetic counseling curriculum, accreditation of the training program, and the certification process of genetic counselors in Korea. J Genet Med 2009;6:38-55.
- Yoo HW, Hwang DY, Ryu HM, Lee HJ, Kim HJ. Development of medical genetics training program and certification process for medical geneticist as a specialist in Korea. J Genet Med 2007; 4:142-59.
- Kim SH. Rare genetic disorders and educational content development for practitioners. Seoul:Korea Center for Disease Control and Prevention;2006.
- Kim KS, Kim SW, Lee MH, Ahn SH, Park SK, Korean Breast cancer society. Practice patterns of surgeon for the management of hereditary breast cancer in Korea. Breast cancer 2008;11: 95-101. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2008.11.2.95
- Choi KS, Jun MH, Tae YS, So HS, Eun Y, Suh SR, et al. The knowledge of hereditary breast cancer in Korean nurses. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2006;12:272-9.