- Volume 10 Issue 1
Job Analysis of Korean Oncology Advanced Practice Nurses in Clinical Workplace -Using the DACUM Method-
임상에서 활동 중인 종양전문간호사의 직무분석-DACUM 기법 이용-
- Lee, Eun-Ryung (Department of Nursing, Samsung Medical Center) ;
- Kwak, Mi-Kyong (Department of Nursing, Samsung Medical Center) ;
- Kim, Eun-Ji (Department of Nursing, Samsung Medical Center) ;
- Kwon, In-Gak (Department of Clinical Nursing Science, Sunkyunkwan University School of Medicine) ;
- Hwang, Moon-Sook (Department of Clinical Nursing Science, Sunkyunkwan University School of Medicine)
- 이은령 (삼성서울병원 간호부) ;
- 곽미경 (삼성서울병원 간호부) ;
- 김은지 (삼성서울병원 간호부) ;
- 권인각 (성균관대학교 삼성서울병원 임상간호학교실) ;
- 황문숙 (성균관대학교 삼성서울병원 임상간호학교실)
- Received : 2009.10.17
- Accepted : 2010.02.01
- Published : 2010.02.27
Purpose: The purposes of this study were to identify job definition, duties and tasks of Korean oncology Advanced Practice Nurses (APNs) and assess frequency, importance, and difficulty for each of duty and task using the DACUM method. Methods: The DACUM committee was organized with nine oncology APNs. The committee documented the job definition, duties and tasks based on their daily job descriptions. Validity of the elicited duties and tasks was tested by a study team and 6 oncology APNs. Data were collected using a questionnaire survey from 53 oncology APNs. Results: The job description of oncology APNs was identified 12 duties and 66 tasks. Among the twelve duties, 'education for patients/families' was the most frequently performed and was the most important duty. 'Case management' was the most difficult duty. Among 66 tasks, 'providing education for patients/families' was most frequently performed. 'Providing education for patients/families' and 'assessing patient condition comprehensively' were the most important tasks. 'Implementation research' as the principal investigator was perceived as the most difficult task. Conclusion: In this study, Korean oncology APNs' job performances were identified and analyzed. It is recommended that job description for oncology APNs needs to be standardized and reshaped in advanced way in future.
- Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs. Annual report of national cancer registration project (The cancer incidence in 2005, survival rate from 1993-2005). Available at: http://stat. mw.go.kr [accessed on October 20, 2009].
- Hospital Nurse Association. Annual project report. Seoul:Hospital Nurse Association;2008.
- Lee JS. Promotional progress & prospect of advanced practice nurse system in Korean Nurse Association. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2001;1:86-91.
- Hong JH. A role of oncology advanced practice nurse in single medical institution. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2001;1:104-7.
- Kim MY. The role behaviors of oncology nurse specialist [dissertation]. Seoul:Seoul National Univ.;2003.
- Kwon IG, Kim YH, Hwang KJ, Kim HS, Lee BS, Lee HS, et al. A survey on the role and present state of advanced practice nurses in korea. J Korean Clin Nurs Res 2003;9:55-75.
- Hong JH. The role of oncology advanced practice nurses in Korea [dissertation]. Seoul:Seoul National Univ.; 2004.
- Kim EK, Jung WJ. Research of the clinical practice for oncology advanced practice nurse [dissertation]. Seoul:Yonsei Univ.; 2005.
- Oh PJ, Lee MN, Kang HS, Kim GS, Kim HO, Seol ME, et al. Development and analysis of job description for korean oncology APN. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2006;6:3-14.
- Korean Accreditation Board Nursing. Role & Core Confidency. Available at: http://www.kabon.or.kr/kabon04/ index 03.php. [accessed on October 20, 2009].
- Park JH. Evaluation of cancer center. Proceeding of the 9th Congress of Korean Oncology Nursing Society;2009 Jan 6; Seoul, Korea.
- Jang SY. Job Analysis. 2nd ed. Seoul:Strategic Business Consultants press;2008.
- Kim PW. DACUM handbook. Daejeon:Chunnam National Univ.: Industry Education Research Institute;2005.
- Byun SJ, Kim HK, Kim AR, Ha HS, Jeon KO. Task analysis of Korean transplantation nurse practitioner. J Korean Acad Nurs 2003;33:179-88.
- Cho KS, Kang HS, Kim JH, Son HM, Sung YH, Park JW, et al. Job description of the nurses working in outpatient department by DACUM technique. J Korean Clin Nurs Res 2008;14:31-45.
- Jo MS, Lee MK, Hwang MS, Lee SJ. Job analysis of home care advanced practice nurses in medical institutions. Clinical Nurse Research dissertation collection 2009;13. Samsung Medical Center, Nursing Department/Clinical Nursing Research Center.
- Ministry of Government Legislation. Regulation of APN certification. Available at: http://www.law.go.kr [accessed on August 8, 2009].
- Ignatvicius D, Griffith J. Job analysis: The basis of effective appraisal. J Nurs Adm 1982;37-41.
- McMillan SC, Heusinkveld KB, Spray J. Advanced practice in oncology nursing: a role delineation study. Oncol Nurs Forum 1995;22:41-50.
- Lincoln PE. Comparing CNS & NP role activities: a replication. Clin Nurse Spec 2000;14:269-77. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002800-200011000-00010
- Kwon YD, Sung YH, Kwon IG, Hwang MS. A study on the present status of clinical nurses with expanded role. Korean Clin Nurs Res 2008;14:99-115.