- Volume 10 Issue 1
An Analysis of Cancer Symptoms, Perceived Health Status, and Given Nursing Services for Community Dwelling Cancer Patients who are Registered in a Public Health Center
보건소 등록 재가 암환자의 암증상, 주관적 건강상태 및 제공받은 간호서비스
- Park, Jeong-Sook (College of Nursing, Keimyung University) ;
- Oh, Yun-Jung (Department of Nursing, Gyeongnam Provincial Geochang College)
- Received : 2009.12.20
- Accepted : 2010.02.04
- Published : 2010.02.27
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to analyze cancer symptoms, perceived health status, and nursing services for community dwelling cancer patients who are registered in a public health center. Methods: The subject of the study were 561 community dwelling, and home-based cancer patients who were registered in 8 different public health centers in Daegu, Korea. The data collection was performed from September 28 to October 10, 2009. Analysis of data was done by using descriptive statistics, t-test and ANOVA with SPSS program. Results: The mean score of cancer symptom index was 1.63. The level of fatigue was the highest in cancer symptom index. The mean score of perceived health status was 6.92. The exercise guidance was identified as the most frequently practiced nursing service. The scores of cancer symptom index were significantly different by economic status, marital status, living condition, the status of cancer, and metastasis. The scores of perceived health status was significantly different by education, economic status, type of social insurance, time of cancer diagnosis, status of cancer, and metastasis. Conclusion: The above findings indicate that it is necessary to develop a special nursing intervention differentiated according to the time points of cancer diagnosis, status of cancer. In addition, nurses should apply it in their practice to ameliorate fatigue for community dwelling cancer patients who are registered in public health center.
- Statistics Korea. Statistical information system. Available at: http://www.kostat.go.kr/ nso_main/nsoMainAction [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs. The management for home-based cancer patients. Seoul:Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs;2008.
- Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs. '2009 tailored home visiting health service. Seoul:Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs;2008.
- Anderson JL. The nurse's role in cancer rehabilitation. Cancer Nurs 1989;12:85-94.
- Koh KB, Kim ST. Coping strategy of cancer patients. J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc 1988;27:140-50.
- Cappiello M, Cunningham RS, Knobf MT, Erdos D. Breast cancer survivors: information and support ofter treatment. Clin Nurs Res 2007;16:278-93. https://doi.org/10.1177/1054773807306553
- Choi JY, Kang HS. Influencing factors for fatigue in cancer patients. J Korean Acad Nurs 2007;37:365-72.
- Winningham ML, Nail LM, Burke MB, Brophy L, Cimprich B, Jones LS, et al. Fatigue and the cancer experience: the state of the knowledge. Oncol Nurs Forum 1994;21:23-36.
- Mock V, Dow KH, Meares CJ, Grimn PM, Dienemann JA, Mitchell S, et al. Effects of exercise on fatigue, physical functioning and emotional distress during radiation therapy for breast cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum 1997;24:991-1000.
- Sohn SK, Kim KH, Kim SH. Relationship between fatigue and functional status in patients with cancer. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2007;17:3-13.
- Lawston MP, Moss M, Fulcomer M, Kleban MH. A research and service oriented multilevel assessment instrument. J Gerontol 1982;37:91-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/37.1.91
- Chun MS, Lee EH, Moon SM, Kang SE, Ryu HS. Medical and psychosocial factors influencing on the quality of life in patients with cervix cancer. J Korean Soc Ther Radiol Oncol 2005;23: 201-10.
- Chae JS, Jung GC, Kim SH, Yeom CH. Comparison of quality of life due to performance status in terminal cancer patients. Korean J Hosp Palliat care 2005;8:183-9.
- Peters L, Sellick K. Quality of life of cancer patients receiving inpatient and home-based palliative care. J Adv Nurs 2006; 53:524-33. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2006.03754.x
- Krutz ME, Krutz JC, Given CC, Given B. Concordance of cancer patient and caregiver symptom reports. Cancer Pract 1996; 4:185-90.
- Seo YM, Oh HS, Seo WS, Kim HS. Comprehensive predictors of fatigue for cancer patients. J Korean Acad Nurs 2006;36: 1224-31.
- Suh YO. Predictors of quality of life in women with breast cancer. J Korean Acad Nurs 2007;37:459-66.
- Roberto S, Luca A, Patrizia B, Edmondo T, Sergio A. Cancerrelated fatigue. Cancer 2003;98:1786-801. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.11742
- Kim SJ. A study on health condition and medical needs of the aged in rural areas [dissertation]. Iksan:Wonkwang Univ.; 2007.
- Korea National Health & Nutrition survey. 2007 Korea national health statistical information system. Available at http://www. knhanes.cdc.go.kr [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- Choi YS. The perception and psychological factors related to the control of hypertension of elderly: visiting nurse services in a metropolitan city [dissertation]. Daejeon:Chungnam National Univ.;2006.
- You SM. An analysis of nursing care service for low income home-based cancer patient management project in a rural community [dissertation]. Seoul:Hanyang Univ.;2008.
- Cho H, Son JY, Heo, JD, Jin EH. Development of an efficient management program for the home-based cancer patient management project of public health center. Korean J Hosp Palliat care 2007;10:128-36.
- Kim TS, Yang BG, Jeong EK, Park NR, Lee YS, Lee YS, et al. Need assessment of home-based cancer patients. Korean J Hosp Palliat care 1999;2:36-45.
- Kim HJ. A study on a counseling and educational program as an influencing factors to quality of life of the colorectal cancer patients [dissertation]. Seoul:Seoul National Univ.;2003.
- Liang J, Liu X, Gu S. Transitions in functional status among older people in Wuhan, China: Socio-economic differentials. J Clin Epidemiol 2001;54:1126-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0895-4356(01)00390-0
- Mun YO, Park EC, Kwak MS, Choi KS, Kim SG, Hahm MI. The relationship between socioeconomic status and self-rated health among Korean population needed to have cancer screening. Korean J Health Promot Dis Prev 2007;7:157-64.
- Golden-Kreutz DM, Thornton LM, Wells-Di GS, Frierson, GM, Jim HS, Shelby R, et al. Traumatic stress, perceived global stress, and life event: prospectively predicting quality of life in breast cancer patients. Health Psychol 2005;24:288-96.
- Love AW, Scealy M, Bloch S, Duchesne G, Couper J, Macvean M, et al. Psychosocial adjustment in newly diagnosed prostate cancer. Aust N Z J of Psychiatry 2008;42:423-9. https://doi.org/10.1080/00048670801961081
- Park JS. Psychosocial intervention for cancer patient. Material for Nursing Conference Jeonbuk National University;2003.