- Volume 10 Issue 1
Spiritual Well-Being, Self Esteem, and Attitude to Death among Nursing Students
간호대학생의 영적안녕, 자아존중감 및 죽음에 대한 태도
- Kim, Kyung-Hae (Department of Nursing, Kimcheon Science College) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Duck (Department of Nursing, Daegu Health College) ;
- Byun, Hye-Sun (Division of Nursing, Masan College) ;
- Chung, Bok-Yae (College of Nursing, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2009.09.09
- Accepted : 2010.02.01
- Published : 2010.02.27
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate the relationships between variables of spiritual well-being, self esteem and attitude to death among nursing students. Method: The subjects of this study were 259 college students. The data was collected through interviews using a structured questionnaire from September 25 to October 2, 2008. The data were analysed in frequency, percentage, means, and the pearson correlation coefficients utilizing the SPSS computer program. Results: The mean scores of the spiritual well-being, self esteem, and attitude to death were 52.62 (SD=9.24), 29.61 (SD=4.75), and 52.42 (SD=8.88) respectively. There were significant positive correlations between the spiritual well-being and self esteem (r=.543, p=.000). Conclusion: The study results show that spiritual well-being and self esteem were a bit positively correlated.
- Li ZS. The death orientation of nursing students in Korea and China [dissertation]. Seoul: Ewha Womans Univ.;2006.
- Jo KH, Lee HJ. Relationship between self-efficacy, depression, level of satisfaction and death attitude of college students. J Korean Acad Nurs 2008;38:229-37. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.2.229
- Lee OJ, Yang HY. A study on the death-related attitude in undergraduate students. J Korean Acad Psych Mental Health Nurs 2007;16:389-97.
- Lee HJ. Spiritual well-being and perception of death in nursing students. Korean J Hosp Palliat Care 2004;7:29-36.
- Cho HJ, Kim ES. The effect of the death education program on the death anxiety and attitudes toward nursing care of the dying patients of nursing student. Korean J Hosp Palliat Care 2005;8:163-72.
- Ellis LS. An investigation of nursing student self-concept levels: a pilot survey. Nurs Res 1980;29:389-90. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-198011000-00022
- Suh KH, Chon KK. Spiritual well-being, life stress, and coping. Korean J Health Psychology 2004;9:333-50.
- Kang ES, Song YS, Cho HS, Kang SN. Relationship of suicidal ideation, depression, spiritual well-being of adolescence. J Korean Acad Psych Mental Health Nurs 2004;13:190-9.
- Jang IS. A study on spiritual well-being, depression, and health status of elderly women in a community. Korean J Women Health Nurs 2004;10:91-8.
- Kang ES. Relationship of the purpose in life, spiritual well-being self-concept, self-esteem of adolescence. J Korean Acad Psych Mental Health Nurs 2003;12:245-59.
- Paloutzian RF, Ellison CW. Loneliness, spiritual well-being and the quality of life, Loneliness: a source-book of current theory. New York: John Wiley & Sones Inc;1982.
- Choi SS. A correlational study on spiritual wellness, hope and perceived health status of urban adults [dissertation]. Seoul: Yonsei Univ.;1991.
- Kang JH. A study on spiritual well-being in patients with cancer [dissertation]. Busan: Pusan Univ.;1996.
- Thorson JA, Powell FC. Elements of death anxiety and meanings of death. J Clin Psychol 1988;44:691-701. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-4679(198809)44:5<691::AID-JCLP2270440505>3.0.CO;2-D
- Park SC. A study on the death orientation of hospice volunteers. J Korean Acad Nurs 1992;22:66-80.
- Kim JH. Relationship between spiritual well-being and attitudes toward death in volunteers for hospice care [dissertation]. Busan: Kosin Univ.;2006.
- Han MJ. Developmental study of death anxiety of death according to coping style, locus of control self-esteem. Korean J Psycho 2002;21:179-98.
- Chun BJ. A study on possibility of the self-concept measurement. Yonsei Research 1974;11:107-30.
- Kim MJ. Relationship among spiritual well-being, work stress and burnout of nurses in oncology unit [dissertation]. Busan: Kosin Univ.;2006.
- Lee YE, Park HS, Son SK. The relationship between spiritual welling-being and attitude toward death in nursing students. Shinang-gwa-hakmun 2007;12:195-232.
- Yoon MO. The spiritual well-being and the spiritual nursing care of nurses for cancer patients. Korean J Hosp Palliat Care 2009;12:72-9.
- Kim CN, Kim YA. A survey on the spiritual wellbeing and depression of nursing student. Keimyung J Nursing Science 2008; 12:97-105.
- Kang ES, Kang SN, Choi SE, Kim SJ, The spiritual well-being of nursing students. Korean J Integrative Study 2005;18:117-42.
- Gwak JH. A research of the spiritual well-being and spiritual needs of HIV/AIDS patients. Korean J Hosp Palliat Care 2009; 12:14-9.
- Noh Sh. A study on university students' orientation and attitudes on death, and cognition degree of Hospice [dissertation]. Busan: Pusan Catholic Univ.;2004.
- Kim EH, Lee EJ. Effects of a death education program on life satisfaction and attitude toward death in college students. J Korean Acad Nurs 2009;39:1-9. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.1.1
- Jo KH, Lee HJ, Lee, YJ. Types of student's death attitudes majoring in human service area: Q-methodological approach. J Korean Acad Nurs 2005;35:829-41.
- Suh KH, Chung SJ, Koo JH. Spiritual well-being, life stress, depression, and self-esteem among college students. Korean J Counselling Psychotherapy 2005;17:1079-97.
- Ryan RM, Rigby S, King K. Two types of religious internalization and their relations to religious orientations and mental health. J Pers Soc Psychol 1993;65:586-96.
- Lee HI. Correlation between spiritual well-being and mental health of nursing students. J Korean Acad Nurs 2002;32:7-15.