- Volume 11 Issue 8
To be applicable under electronic health record system in order to ensure semantic interoperability of clinical information, the development principle for clinical information model to reflect objective and function is required. The aim of this study is to develop the development principles for clinical information model and evaluate the Clinical Contents Model. In order to develop the principle, from November 2008 to March 2009, the surveys about 1) definition, 2) function and 3) quality criteria were done, and 4) the components of advanced model were analyzed. The study was processed in 3 levels. Firstly in the development level, key words and key words-paragraph were driven from the references, and the principles were drawn based on the clinical or functional importance and frequency. In the application level, the 3 experts of clinical information model assessed 30 Clinical Contents Models by applying it. In the feedback level, the Clinical Contents Model in which errors were found was modified. As the results, 18 development principles were derived with 3 categories which were structure, process and contents. The Clinical Contents Models were assessed with the principles, and the 17 models were found that they did not follow it. During the feedback process, the necessity of the advanced education of the principle and the establishment of the regular quality improvement strategy to use it is raised. The proposed development principle supports the consistent model-development between clinical information model developers, and could be used as evaluation criteria.
Clinical information model;Clinical Contents Model;Development principles
- Sebastian Garde et al., "Expressing clinical data sets with openEHR archetypes: A solid basis for ubiquitous computing", Int J Med Inform. Suppl 3:S334-41. Epub 2007 Mar 27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2007.02.004
- 안선주 외, "표준용어기반의 임상정보모델개발", 대한의료정보학회 추계학술대회 연제집, 2008.
- SunJu Ahn et al., "CCM guideline and Development Principles", ASIA PACIFIC ASSOCIATION FOR MEDICAL MEDICAL INFORMATICS, Proceedings, 2009.
- Kalra et al,, Management and maintenance policies for EHR interoperability resources, Information Socitiey Technologies, pp. 136-144. 2008.
- Stanley Huff, "Ontologies, Vocabularies, and Data Models, in Robert A. Greenes et al, Clinical Decision Support", The Road Ahead, ELSEVIER, pp. 307-324, 2007.
- Rector AL, "The Interface between Information, Terminology, and Inference Models In: Patel V, et al., editors", MEDINFO 2001, Amsterdam, IOS Press, pp. 246-50, 2001.
- Sebastian Garde et al., "Archetype-based knowledge management for semantic interoperability of Electronic Health Record", IOS Press, available at 2009. http://person.hst.aau.dk/ska/MIE2009/papers/MIE2009p1007.pdf
- Beale T, "Archetypes: Constraint-based Domain Models for Future-proof Information Systems", OOPSLA 2002 workshop on behavioural semantics, 2002.
- Beale T, Heard. S, "Archetype Definition Language (ADL)", The openEHR Foundation, http://openehr.org, 2003.
- Stanley M Huff et al,. "An Event Model of Medical Information Representation", JAMIA, 2, pp. 116-134, 1995.
- David J. Steiner et al., "Medical Data Abstractionism: Fitting an EMR to Radically Evolving Medical Information Systems", Amsterdam, IOS Press, 2004. available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15360873
- ISO13606-2, "Health informatics-Electronic health information communication, Part 2 - Archetype interchange specification", 2008. available at www.iso.org
- Huff SM et al., "Integrating Detailed Clinical Models Into Application Development Tools", Stud Health Technol Inform. 2004;107(Pt 2):1058-62.
- JF Coyle, et al., "Standards for detailed clinical models as the basis for medical data exchange and decision support", Int J Med Inform, Vol. 69, No. 2-3, pp. 157-174, March, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1386-5056(02)00103-X
- William Goossen, "Detailed Clinical Models : Report of a Workshop in Brisbane", 2007. available at http://www.global-e-health-standards.org/docs/Detailed% 20Clinical%20Models-Report%20of%20Workshop%20August%202007.pdf
- Health Level Seven, "Version 3 Data Types", Health Level Seven, Inc., Ann Arbor, MI, http://www.hl7.org, 2002.
- Stanley Huff, Practical Modeling Issues Representing Coded and Structured Patient Data in EHR Systems, American Medical Information Association, Tutorial, 2007.
- Development of Clinical Contents Model Markup Language for Electronic Health Records vol.18, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4258/hir.2012.18.3.171