- Volume 37 Issue 6
Reversible Image Watermarking with Differential Histogram Shifting and Error Prediction Compensation
차이값 히스토그램 쉬프팅과 오류 예측 보정을 이용한 가역 영상 워터마킹
- Received : 2009.11.18
- Accepted : 2010.04.08
- Published : 2010.06.15
Reversible watermarking inserts watermark into digital media in such a way that visual transparency is preserved and then enables to restore the original media from the marked one without any loss of media quality. This watermarking can be applied to quality-sensitive imaging such as medical imaging, military imaging, remote-sensing imaging, and precious artwork, where the original media should be preserved during image processing and analysis. In this paper, a reversible image watermarking technique that embeds message bits by modifying the differential histogram of adjacent pixels is presented. In order to satisfy both high embedding capacity and visual quality, the proposed technique exploits the fact that adjacent pixels in the image have highly spatial correlation. Also, we prevent overflow/underflow problem and salt-and-pepper artifacts by employing a predicted error compensation scheme. Through experiments using various test images, we prove that the presented technique provides perfect reversibility and high embedding capacity, while maintaining the induced-distortion low.
Supported by : 한국문화콘텐츠진흥원
- I. J. Cox, M. Miller, J. A. Bloom, J. Fridrich and T. Kalker, Digital Watermarking and Steganography, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc., San Francisco, CA, 2007.
- F. Mintzer, J. Lotspiech and N. Morimoto, "Safeguarding digital library contents and users: digital watermarking," D-Lib Magazine, 1997.
- J. Fridrich, M. Goljan and R. Du, "Invertible authentication," Proc. of the SPIE, Security and Watermarking of Multimedia Contents, San Jose, CA, vol.4314, pp.197-208, 2001.
- M.U. Celik, G. Sharma, A.M. Tekalp and E. Saber, "Lossless generalized-LSB data embedding," IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, vol.14, no.2, pp.253-266, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2004.840686
- B. Yang, M. Schmucker, C.B.W. Funk and S. Sun, "Integer DCT-based reversible watermarking for images using compounding technique," Proc. of the SPIE, Security, Steganography, and Watermarking of Multimedia Contents, San Jose, CA, vol.5306, pp.405-415, 2004.
- G. Xuan, Q. Yao, C. Yang, J. Gao, P. Chai, Y.Q. Shi and Z. Ni, "Lossless data hiding using histogram shifting method based on integer wavelets," International Workshop on Digital Watermarking, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol.4283, Springer, Jeju Island, Korea, pp.323-332, 2006.
- S. Lee, C.D. Yoo and T. Kalker, "Reversible image watermarking based on integer-to-integer wavelet transform," IEEE Trans. on Information Forensics and Security, vol.2, no.3, pp.321-330, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIFS.2007.905146
- J. Tian, "Reversible data embedding using a difference expansion," IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol.13, no.8, pp.890-896, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2003.815962
- A.M. Alattar, "Reversible watermark using the difference expansion of a generalized integer transform," IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, vol.13, no.8, pp.1147-1156, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2004.828418
- L. Kamstra and H.J.A.M. Heijmans, "Reversible data embedding into images using wavelet techniques and sorting," IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, vol.14, no.12, pp.2082-2090, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2005.859373
- D.M. Thodi and J.J. Rodriguez, "Expansion embedding techniques for reversible watermarking," IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, vol.16, no.3, pp.721-730, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2006.891046
- Z. Ni, Y.-Q. Shi, N. Ansari and W. Su, "Reversible data hiding," IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol.16, no.3, pp.354-362, 2006.
- E. Varsaki, V. Fotopoulos and A.N. Skodras, "A reversible data hiding technique embedding in the image histogram," Technical Report HOU-CSTR- 2006-08-GR, Hellenic Open University, 2006.
- J.H. Hwang, J.W. Kim and J.U. Choi, "A reversible watermarking based on histogram shifting," International Workshop on Digital Watermarking, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol.4283, Springer-Verlag, Jeju Island, Korea, pp.348-361, 2006.
- W.-C. Kuo, D.-J. Jiang and Y.-C. Huang, "Reversible data hiding based on histogram," International Conference on Intelligent Computing, Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, vol.4682, Springer-Verlag, Qing Dao, China, pp.1152-1161, 2007.
- C.-C. Lin, W.-L. Tai and C.-C. Chang, "Multilevel reversible data hiding based on histogram modification of difference images," Pattern Recognition, vol.41, no.12, pp.3582-3591, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patcog.2008.05.015
- P. Tsai, Y.-C. Hu and H.-L. Yeh, "Reversible image hiding scheme using predictive coding and histogram shifting," Signal Processing, vol.89, no.6, pp.1129-1143, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sigpro.2008.12.017
- S.-K. Lee, H.-M. Yoo, Y.-H. Suh and J.-W. Suh, "Improved Reversible Data Hiding Based on Histogram Modification of Difference Images," International Conference on Consumer Electronics, pp.181-182, 2010.
- K.-S. Kim, M.-J. Lee, H.-Y. Lee and H.-K. Lee, "Reversible data hiding exploiting spatial correlation between sub-sampled images," Pattern Recognition, vol.42, no.11, pp.3083-3096, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patcog.2009.04.004
- C. W. Honsinger, P. Jones, M. Rabbani and J. C. Stoffel, "Lossless recovery of an original image containing embedded data," US Patent application, Docket No: 77102/E-D, 1999.